Bandit

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Jamie recently got one of Maxis and the neighbor ladies puppies. It is a female he named Bandit :confused: I just let him name it it was his puppy. I just always thought Bandit was a boy dogs name but ok.

Bandit is now 10 weeks old and quite the handful. She is a Collie/Chow/Shepherd (Maxis) and Labrador (the mum Sunny) mix but I don't see any lab in her at all but I see alot of Maxis. I have never owned any of those breeds of dogs and when I had Maxis well you all know he was feral.

She is quite the chewer, barker, growler, and sometimes she wrestles alittle too rough. We are working on all of this with her but she is a stubborn little **** (trust me we call her little **** with love) and she won't be too little too long. She is a heal knipper also and just too much of a personality. But im sure we can work with her through all of this.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone who has owned a puppy of any of those breeds or close breed mixes. I was just looking for experiences or tips on how to go about raising this unique little puppy. She is bound to be a handful and I trust Jamie with her training mainly. She is HIS dog and he trained his 7 year old Akita Buzz on his own and Buzz is an amazingly well behaved and loveable dog. But still any tips or experiences you want to share i will definatly be interested in hearing.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Well it sounds like she has a lot of herder in her, which means the heel nipping is hardwired. Not to say that it can't be controlled, but you're asking to redirect an inbred instinct. She will be very smart and quick to pick up behaviors once she understands what is expected. Until she knows a "stop" command, make sure that nobody runs away from her, or really goes faster than a walk. If she continues nipping, say "No nip!" in a stern voice and put her in a sit. Once she does that, chuck a ball or toy for her to go after so she knows that stopping nipping doesn't mean stopping playing. I'm sure Bridey will have more suggestions once she sees this thread.

Daniel's old collie Chase, named for trying to herd cars, eventually stopped with the cars, (no worse for the trying) but would try and herd the 4-wheeler instead.

Saje

Island dweller
I call Nanook a little bitch too. :) She is one! And I mean it affectionately even when she is acting like one. Hee hee.

I can't help with your pup. I can't believe YOU are asking for puppy advice. :D You'll be fine.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Maverick was part collie. He liked to nip at our heels too. He grew out of it though after awhile. Hannah's a lab but she didn't herd though. Hannah is very smart though and learned very quickly (housebreaking and obedience).

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh sounds like your pup is identicle to our Jake. I'm doing everything in my power not to get nipped by those sharp little teeth. I have so many toys around, but it seems like my feet are the best ones to chew.

Try giving her some of those big toy balls to herd. Get several of them - the ones too big for her to get her mouth over - and scatter them out in the yard or in a big room, then scoot them all into one corner, soccer style, to give her the idea that they are supposed to be in one place. Scatter them out again and let her herd balls . . . :)

Members online

No members online now.