Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

TahlzK

Why is the dog handsome? Can you explain what you like about him?
I love his form, I love his looks. I've enjoyed watching his work/his achievements. I think he's a great example of the breed.

Because you act proud of her for her treatment of the Saluki (which is questionable) but TOTALLY ignore the STARVED baby Fila. You should be livid at your friend. You should be begging her to get help. You should worry and fear for her dogs.
How do you know I haven't spoken with her? You don't. I'm past talking about this Fila at this point, if I want to, I'll talk to Teal about it.

I'm not judging her on her Saluki when I don't know enough about them and I know she adores that dog, her vets, the other Saluki people she works with seem quite happy with Bukra.

With a Fila, Xandra, it's highly likely it was a combination of the two. He was pining and not eating and then no one worked to get food into him.

All it would have taken, if that was the case, would have been a little affection and attention. Just a little. :(

And yes, the techs saved Tallulah's life, especially one in particular. :)

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I'm not judging her on her Saluki when I don't know enough about them and I know she adores that dog.
Luckily for him, since we know what happens when she doesn't adore a dog. I just hope the adoration lasts.

Aaaaand that's my only post in this thread. *leaves*

Red Chrome

I have let my dogs get too lean. But I saw it and fixed the problem, no aesthetics are worth my dogs looking gross. Judge is very hard to keep weight on, he gets raw food in the morning and kibble at night. He also is allowed satin balls as treats here and there to maintain a good weight. Going into winter for whatever reason he tends to lean down(opposite of what he should be doing) so he gets satin balls with his morning and evening food to maintain weight. He is perfectly healthy just a very hard keeper.

LoLa and Hobie can look at food and gain weight so I have the opposite problem with them maintaining a nice healthy weight. I have everyone settled now and maintaining as they should be. Judge requires more food and he gets it. Simple to me. Dog starts to look a little thin....up the food till they maintain a healthy weight.

Tallulah looks so sad. That picture made me cry.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I love his form, I love his looks. I've enjoyed watching his work/his achievements. I think he's a great example of the breed.
What is enjoyable about his form? What should a Saluki look like?

I'm not sure you have any standards except "my friends dog" to judge him against. Have you read the standard?

How do you know I haven't spoken with her? You don't. I'm past talking about this Fila at this point, if I want to, I'll talk to Teal about it.

I'm not judging her on her Saluki when I don't know enough about them and I know she adores that dog, her vets, the other Saluki people she works with seem quite happy with Bukra.
I didnt say you hadn't talked to her...but if you think that because you like her current dogs and say she takes good care of them that somehow negates the abuse and neglect SHE did to the puppy, yes, I find that sick.

You are done talking about the Fila? Her abuse of the fila is directly relevant to her current dogs.

Red Chrome

With a Fila, Xandra, it's highly likely it was a combination of the two. He was pining and not eating and then no one worked to get food into him.

All it would have taken, if that was the case, would have been a little affection and attention. Just a little. :(

And yes, the techs saved Tallulah's life, especially one in particular. :)
I have not met a puppy that I could let get like that poor Fila did. Even my friend's obnoxious bratty Chihuahua puppy when I watched her was a picky eater, so I catered and got her eating. (First time her mom left her for a vacation and she was 6 months old and very spoiled at home.) She was a small dog so not eating for a day really showed, I knew I had to do something to get her eating and I did. I cooked her chicken and rice with bacon grease on top. She ate like a champ after that with just a tiny bit of bacon grease on her food, not the healthiest but she wasn't skinny when her mom came to get her.

I think the Saluki is a pretty dog. Judging him by others I've seen I do feel he is too thin for me.

Miakoda

Sorry, I still blame the owners for choosing to uber lean out their dogs because it is fashionable. This is dangerously common in pit bulls.

Not only that, some people haven't quite got it through their ignorant heads that there is a HUGE difference between conditioning a dog and starving it down.

Soooo many people think they can just cut back on food, and WA-LA! Look! A lean doggy with ribs and muscles showing!

And whomever brought up the body's functioning while being malnourished was right on. The body belonging to a dog that has been starved down is NOT running like the body of a dog that has been conditioned. Nothing, from various cell functions on up, is running the same.

I know when I conditioned my hog dogs before long hunting weekends or week-long hunting trips, they got extremely lean and very well muscled. They also ate anywhere from 4-6 cups of quality kibble (Nature's Variety) and got satin balls supplemented. That's not even close to being the same as cutting 2 cups of food back to 3/4 cup of food.

Sadly, I can throw out way too many names of people, including some in the ADBA show world who have winning dogs, that starve their dogs down versus conditioning them. Like mentioned, it's more of a fashionable look than an in-shape conditioning side effect.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Hindquarters
Strong, hipbones set well apart and stifle moderately bent, hocks low to the ground, showing
galloping and jumping power.

I think the first line of this gives most people trouble, you do not have to see the complete hipbone to see they
are well set apart.
Once you put this description with the Loin and Back you will understand why. The stifle (or
knee) is moderately (not large, great, or severe) bent, which indicates it is not straight, nor is it overly
angulated. The rear angulation should be balanced with the front angulation, an overly angulated Salukis will
overreach (Fault in the trot caused by more angulation and drive from behind than in front so that the rear feet
are forced to step to one side of the forefeet to avoid interfering or clipping). The hock length is short (well let
down) and the rear quarters are well muscled, this includes a well muscled second thigh

Loin and Back
Back fairly broad, muscles slightly arched over loin.
Loin: anatomy the area on each side of the backbone of a human or other animal between the ribs and hips.
This area has muscles slightly (very small) arched (intransitive verb to follow a trajectory in the shape of an
arch) over the area between the ribs and hips. If you put this together with the hip bones, the more muscle, the
less hip or topline bone you will see.
As the Saluki breed standard calls for a well muscled hound, you should
not see but the tops of the hip bone
and the topline should arch (again slightly arched) past the rib cage in a
soft curve, past the hipbone and into the croup. The topline should not be flat, this indicates a lack of muscling
in the loin area, which calls for a broad back. The underline should curve upwards from a long sternum into a
good tuckup (a reference to the body depth at the loin), showing a good length of ribcage.

Would you like more learning on what you're analyzing as "great form"?

Tallulah looks so sad. That picture made me cry.
She is, for the most part, a serious little dog, but she's not sad anymore. Or emaciated. The techs could hardly believe it when I told them she is The Bottomless Pit, that she eats anything that won't eat her first -- and even then I wouldn't care to bet against her.

Maybe this will make you feel better. :) I hope Bullseye is this happy now.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
As far as the saluki goes... that is not a healthy condition for a saluki. A healthy condition needs muscle. You would NOT see that much spine if there were muscles.

heck, I'll be the first to admit that if Rosey were shaved, I'm sure you'd be able to see her spine more than on the saluki. The difference is, Rosey has arthritis of the spine, there is no muscle. Plus, yah know, 16 year old dog vs young "sport dog"

Red Chrome

She is, for the most part, a serious little dog, but she's not sad anymore. Or emaciated. The techs could hardly believe it when I told them she is The Bottomless Pit, that she eats anything that won't eat her first -- and even then I wouldn't care to bet against her.

Maybe this will make you feel better. :)

Aww. It did. Part of what killed me about that picture is that my Red dog's registered name started with Tallulah(spelt differently). I lost my Red dog to cancer last year. I miss her a lot.

I often wonder WHY my dog was taken from me so early and young(6) when others do this to their dogs and worse and their dogs live long lives. Nothing against the dogs but it just infuriates me and upsets me.

I just don't understand hating something so much that you can starve them and feel nothing.

Shakou

Here is the Saluki breed standard, for what it's worth.

The Saluki Breed Standard

AMERICAN KENNEL CLUB

Official Standard for the SALUKI ©

Head-Long and narrow, skull moderately wide between the ears, not domed, stop not pronounced, the whole showing great quality.

Nose-black or liver.

Ears-Long and covered with long silky hair hanging close to the skull and mobile.

Eyes-Dark to hazel and bright; large and oval, but not prominent.

Teeth-Strong and level.

Neck-Long, supple and well muscled.

Chest-Deep and moderately narrow.

Forequarters-Shoulders sloping and set well back, well muscled without being coarse.

Forelegs-Straight and long from the elbow to the knee.

Hindquarters-Strong, hipbones set well apart and stifle moderately bent, hocks low to the ground, showing galloping and jumping power.

Loin and Back-Back fairly broad, muscles slightly arched over loin.

Feet-Of moderate length, toes long and well arched, not splayed out, but at the same time not cat-footed; the whole being strong and supple and well feathered between the toes.

Tail-Long, set on low and carried naturally in a curve, well feathered on the underside with long silky hair, not bushy.

Coat-Smooth and of a soft silky texture, slight feather on the legs, feather at the back of the thighs and sometimes with slight woolly feather on the thigh and shoulder.

Colors-White, cream, fawn, golden, red, grizzle and tan, tricolor (white, black and tan) and black and tan.

General Appearance-The whole appearance of this breed should give an impression of grace and symmetry and of great speed and endurance coupled with strength and activity to enable it to kill gazelle or other quarry over deep sand or rocky mountains. The expression should be dignified and gentle with deep, faithful, far-seeing eyes. Dogs should average in height from 23 to 28 inches and bitches may be considerably smaller, this being very typical of the breed.

The Smooth Variety-In this variety the points should be the same with the exception of the coat, which has no feathering.

Home | Breed Information Home | Site Map

copyright © 1999, 2000, 2001 Saluki Club of America

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Oh if i had shaved Josefina before i started her on satin balls (which added to her food have been a god send for her!!!) ppl would have tried to turn me in for animal cruelty for sure :/ I know that condition doesnt always mean neglect, but please... come on :/

speaking of Colin/bullseye, howw is he doing? does anyone have any pics of him in hw news home & how he is doing... he looked like such a sweetheart :')

Red Chrome

The last 2 pictures of him are 4 months after he got into his new home. She said he was doing great.

Doberluv

Is he also doing great emotionally? That lack of love and attention could have caused failure to thrive syndrome. That along with not enough food could have worked together to destroy him. He sure looks better. I was just wondering about his poor little soul. With this thread, I feel (and I'm sure everyone does) a real, emotional interest in this little dumpling, his breeder, and his new owners.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Is he also doing great emotionally? That lack of love and attention could have caused failure to thrive syndrome. That along with not enough food could have worked together to destroy him. He sure looks better. I was just wondering about his poor little soul. With this thread, I feel (and I'm sure everyone does) a real, emotional interest in this little dumpling, his breeder, and his new owners.

Same here. I would love to know more about how he's doing now.

Members online

No members online now.