Boone has forgotten....

Tinaweena

His bite inhabition. He's been fine for 3 months. Soft mouthed, barely any mouthing, and all of a sudden the past week has been awful! He's chomping hard, and often. I dunno what to do with him.

We haven't changed anything, still practicing NILIF. Still training him with dinner, still ignoring the biting, well not ignoring, but ignoring him when he bites. What's the deal?! He was great with it before, very gentle and all of a sudden it's like he forgot all the bite inhabition we went through with him. Will his obedience classes help with this? he will be starting soon, the last class was full and they over booked it so we had to wait.

I just dunno what to do with him, when he's really excitedly playing in the backyard with us, he's jumping up and biting, and frankly (being 105lbs and 5 foot 3) it's a little scary.

Any advice is welcomed.

yoko

has he lost all of his puppy teeth? i know around then yoshi's last were falling out and she was still kinda mouthy. just try to keep up with the training and be sure to always go to the class :) it'll get better

Doberluv

I would make it clear without being harsh, loud, emotional etc....that playtime is over when he gets too roudy. Calmly lead him away from the area where he's having fun and away from the people he's having fun biting. Put him by himself for 5 minutes and ignore him. Go away. Go back and bring him out again and give him a chew toy. If he starts up again, repeat. Social isolation is not a fun thing for a dog. Of course, if he can manage to chew on his own toy/bone, praise him calmly and even give him a treat. But the very instant he lays his teeth on you, let him know it really really hurts, "Ouch!!!" And end all playtime and absolutely ignore.

Is he getting plenty of exercise? He can't be all pent up and learn anything, so be sure he's getting two or three good running around the yard or 30 minute off leash walks a day. Obedience training gives his mind something to do and think about which keeps him from getting bored. Be sure to use positive, gentle methods. It will be good when he can go to a class. That's wonderful for dogs....socialization and you'll get some good help. But be sure the trainer is reputable and uses gentle methods.

His new teeth are probably coming in and so he needs some good teething toys. They sell things in pet stores which you can put in the feezer which are designed for this. A tea soaked rag knotted up and frozen can be soothing. Just be careful if strings or pieces of material don't get torn off and ingested as this can cause intestinal blockages. But for a little while, supervised, it can offer some relief.

Let your dog know you're his leader by not reacting or responding to every little thing he wants every time he wants it...including attention, affection, play, toys etc. Let him earn some of those things by sitting for you or some other skill he's learned. You be the one to instigate a lot of the good stuff. I know you mentioned that you were doing NILIF but I thought I'd mention this anyhow. I don't think you have to be extreme with it. You're not having an aggression problem, right? Just let him know that he's not in charge of all the decisions. NILIF is one thing, but in addition, try not to react to everything he does to get your attention. If he whines or barks about something, don't suddenly turn your head to look at him. Stay calm and in a moment you can re-direct him to something else which he can be rewarded for. Just kind of be "cooooool." LOL.

Tinaweena

No it's not at all aggresive. I don't think he has an aggresive bone in his body. He just gets so happy and excited playing. We do have tons oh chew toys for him, but he enjoys a good chomp on my arm all the time. He does get a bunch of exercise, we play fetch in the backyard, and go for a 45 minute walk everyday. All his adult teeth are in, although I'm not sure they are totally grown in. We'll see....guess I just gotta deal with him the only ways I know how until he's a little older and doesn't find such pleasure in chomping.
I'll go with everybody's advice and isolate him when he does it, all that stuff, and get him into class when i can.
Thanks guys...I'll update.

Where, oh where, did my soft-mouthed guy go?! Sigh.

Members online

No members online now.