What chews do you use?

crazedACD

Is there a reason pig ears have decreased in popularity, besides potential choking hazard? I used to see them at every feed store, now I very rarely do. We used to give them to our dogs when I was small, never have with Shadow or dogs past Shadow.
There is some notation that they may cause pancreatitis due to the grease/fattiness. I don't know if that is a dog people urban legend or if there is truth. But I do find them kind of gross, and especially gross if they are in a bulk bin, it just makes me think of bacterial growth, salmonella..ick.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
There is some notation that they may cause pancreatitis due to the grease/fattiness. I don't know if that is a dog people urban legend or if there is truth. But I do find them kind of gross, and especially gross if they are in a bulk bin, it just makes me think of bacterial growth, salmonella..ick.
We give pig ears every once in a while.. we call them doggy McDonalds. :rofl1: I forgot to add that we do give hooves as chews, but man do they stink up our house.

Frozen chicken feet as well.. though we haven't had those in a while.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Usually meaty bones, those last ages. Cleo only chews on them when they've still got yuck, Wes will pick them up and gnaw on them for...really, really long.

Bully sticks are for emergencies, Feist can motor through the 6 inch ones in 45 minutes and she's tiny, sooo.

Nylabones, Feist only likes. I imagine they will be around forever.

crazedACD

Nylabones..I don't even want my dogs to like them, but they do! Everything nylabone :eek:.

I have antlers, those last forever but don't interest the dogs much. Marrow bones keep their interest for a while, and then they forget about them like under furniture and I find bugs in them (vomit). I do begrudgingly use USA rawhides, usually the 'chips' and have never had a problem with them.

I don't do rib bones, roasted ham bones, lamb femurs, etc they crack and splinter. Other things like bully sticks, back straps, tracheas, etc do not last.

I get some filled horns a few months ago and those seemed to do great. I still have the shell of one that the dogs chew on sometimes.

Maxy24

yeah it's really odd because when Tucker was a puppy he could go through a bully stick in 30 minutes. Now it lasts a week and he uses it every day. Not for super stretches, but probably 15 minutes at a time. I'm super glad he's changed, because now it's worth the price to buy them! He also didn't really like the himalayans when he was a puppy but now loves them.

SpringerLover

Bully sticks (only the ones I can hand select at work)
Raw knuckles or knee caps (don't do marrow bones or ribs)
Stuffed kongs (less frequently now, but used to be almost daily)
Raw hooves
Tracheas for Gabby and Bailey

Basically, they don't get any cooked bones or anything Buzz might be able to choke on.

Dagwall

I usually have a few antlers around the house. How long they last really depends on the antler itself, ranging from a week to 6-7 months. Some I get seem to be "softer" than others, the softer ones both good faster AND are chewed longer. The "denser" antlers get chewed for shorter periods of time and break down much slower with the same amount of chewing. I take them away when they get small because Jubel WILL swallow it whole once it get small enough. Just sent my collection on antler nubs home with my foster when she got adopted.

A 12" bully stick will last about 15 minutes tops, I don't get them often as they aren't worth the money at that rate.

I picked up a himilayan chew at a pet expo a few years ago. Jubel loved it but it didn't last much longer than a bully stick would. Again not worth the price in my house.

Always a variety of nylabones around the house. Recently tossed the first classic nylabone after about 3.25 years.

He's eating a partial raw diet now so he gets chicken feet, pork ribs, and chicken quarters regularly.

Elrohwen

Bully sticks are the favorite. They usually only last about 15min, but occasionally a super thick one will last 40+ min.

I have split antlers, but he will just pick them up and throw them around once in a while and not really chew them much. Other dogs who come to our house seem to love them.

I have a couple of those smoked bones and they're ok. He generally works on them intently for a couple days which is good value for the money, but once the meaty stuff is off he's not as interested. He'll still pick up the bone every once in a while and work on it, so I leave them around. I've heard bad things about splintering, but haven't seen an issue and he doesn't chew on them enough for that to happen. I like that they are impossible to swallow since he can't get big pieces off.

Himalayan chews are ok. The last two I had didn't last very long, and I'm always afraid he'll swallow the bit at the end. With bully sticks I use a clamp to make him chew to the end, but I can't figure out what to use on a Himalayan chew. He'll swallow anything smaller than 5" usually.

Never tried a nylabone for whatever reason, but I probably should.

iriskai

Himalayan chews are ok. The last two I had didn't last very long, and I'm always afraid he'll swallow the bit at the end. With bully sticks I use a clamp to make him chew to the end, but I can't figure out what to use on a Himalayan chew. He'll swallow anything smaller than 5" usually.
Have you tried microwaving the end? It doesn't last as long as the normal HC, but it puffs up into a crunchy treat. Once my two get theirs down small enough to choke on, I nuke the 'butts'.

Toller_08

I don't really give my dogs many chews. Especially now that I am coming up on my last two days at the pet food store I work at. No way will I be able to afford to pay real prices for a half hour (or less) of my four dogs' happiness haha. Except for special occasions maybe.

That said, if I do give them chews, I make sure to get the thickest bully sticks I possibly can. I actually did have some last year that were awesome and lasted days, which is unheard of in my house. But I don't know why they were so tough and I've never had that luck again. Any other chews, and even regular bully sticks, are just a waste of money. I just buy them occasionally to give them something different/as a special treat.

I do have whole Elk Antlers laying around the house, though. I do worry about hard chews, but my dogs love to chew and I don't want to take that away from them. Other than that, I give recreational raw bones (usually knuckles) regularly, which again are hard, but I feel like the pros outweigh the cons for my dogs. Dance broke a molar, but that's been my only bad incident, which compared to the amount of hard chewing she does (and she is my toughest chewer), one incident wasn't enough to sway me too much.

But yeah, other than raw bones and antlers and the rare bully stick, my dogs don't get much in the way of chews.

Grab

Frozen soup/marrow bones last a few hours for Brooks, about 45 minutes for Goose,Aesop and Julian, and a few hours for Newt and Nog.

Bully sticks last about 20 minutes with the slowest chewers

Brooks gets rawhides now and again..the chips last about 15 minutes, he has a retriever roll thing that's lasted over a week so far and he nibbles on it here and there

Pig ears/various dried body parts last 10-15 minutes, same with frozen chicken feet.

Brooks consistently gets diarrhea from raw foods, so he can only have the tiniest amount. Thus, he's the only one who gets rawhides, etc. The last time he ate two chicken feet in a 48 hour period he had uncontrollable diarrhea for days and had to go on meds. Sigh.

Elrohwen

Have you tried microwaving the end? It doesn't last as long as the normal HC, but it puffs up into a crunchy treat. Once my two get theirs down small enough to choke on, I nuke the 'butts'.
I have, but only when it's little. It's still quite large when I take it away from him and I'm nervous about putting it in the microwave. Maybe I think it will explode or something? Haha

Lyzelle

I don't give antlers, marrow bones, meaty bones, etc because Zander is a tough chewer and will fracture every molar and still chew through. He's done that, actually, so he doesn't get chews often.

Duck feet last about 30 seconds. Crunch, crunch, swallow.
Bully sticks can last 20 minutes to a week depending on how often he chews or if I limit him.

k9krazee

We give him raw marrow bones from the butcher. They last anywhere between 1-3 hours, depending on the size or when we take it away because he's being too obsessive.

DH is freaked out about nylabones & Crossbone eating plastic.

Mollie devours chews whenever she gets the chance. Rawhide bones, which I purchase rarely as I know they're not the best chew for her health, tend to last about 1-2 weeks once she's finished hiding it around the house (we found one once wedged between some storage boxes in the garage) but the actual time she takes to chew it down is about 2 hours. Bully sticks last around 30 minutes for her. She'll chew a meaty raw bone for about an hour and a a half before she gets tired of it and walks away, but if I leave it in the backyard overnight she'll return to it the next day. I've never tried finding out how long she'll actually chew it before it gets abandoned, because it attracts lots of flies. I recently tried something new and bought her an elk antler, which I had never looked into before, and she absolutely loves it. It's been a month now and it's still intact, and she chews it at least one hour a day.

If you're looking for advice on what chews to get your dog, I'd recommend the antler as by far the best product I've ever bought her.

Staff online

Members online