Who is on Santa's naughty list?

stafinois

Professional Nerd
That would be Harry the Malinois. We've already banned grapes and raisins from the house because the toddler throws food, and Harry knows how to open the pantry to get into goodies. I should have thought about that before bringing home my Christmas gifts from coworkers yesterday. Everybody gave me chocolate. Not just any chocolate, but high quality dark chocolate. I put it in the pantry and didn't even think about it. I'm such an idiot. I should have put it in the microwave. That's where we put things so that he can't get them.

This morning I went downstairs to find candy wrappers everywhere. He had gotten in there and eaten all of it. According to his body weight, about 6.2 oz would be toxic. He got a minimum of 9 oz (wrappers are partially eaten, can't get exact weight) of high quality dark chocolate, plus M&Ms and other lower quality goodies. I poured 1/3 bottle of hydrogen peroxide down his throat and he threw up a bunch, but the vomit wasn't as dark in color as I was hoping for with that much dark chocolate. Harry is currently at the vet for observation and possible treatment if he starts showing symptoms of toxicity. Keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't need any more than just observation.

I was really looking forward to that box of dark chocolate bark with blueberries :madgo:

I can relate.
I had some Dove dark chocolate in the car, and like an idiot I went in the store while Tristan was in the car.
He ate enough to be toxic and luckily I came back out, we drove straight home (10min) and he threw up all of it.
He was fine - but remember when Copper got pancreatitis from a box of chocolate covered cherries?? And they were MILK chocolate!

stafinois

Professional Nerd
One of the techs texted me, and says he's doing ok. Hopefully I got it all out of him with the H2O2!!

Michiyo-Fir

Hey I'm having the same problem with Nia! I just posted a thread about it. UGH!

Our other 2 dogs have gotten into chocolate quite a lot of times. Including 70% cocoa dark chocolate and they ended up being ok. I don't remember how much they ate though.

I hope he feels better soon! Let us know when he gets back home!

Members online

No members online now.