My puppy peed on me while I was sleeping

johnsmith

I adopted a chihuahua who is now about 16 weeks old.

So I was sleeping, the puppy was looking for a place to pee... she walked onto my chest and peed. Not just a nervous piddle, but a full pee session.

I have never had a dog pee on me. Besides the pee on my chest, the pup has also peed on my wife twice. I understand a dog peeing on a carpet or other "bad" place. But this was me, the pack leader!

I'm doing the typical crate training, but it's obviously not working.. or I'm doing something wrong. Any tips for other forms of training an indoor dog?

Thanks, John

Maxy24

I'm sorry but that's funny :p ok I'll stop, You say your crate training, that means the puppy should be in the crate when your sleeping so he can't pee while you are not conscious to stop him and bring him out. He also probably can't hold it through the night so you should set your alarm to get up and take him out half way through. Just make sure to crate him when your sleeping or cannot otherwise watch him so he'll have no accidents.

:lol-sign:

Maxy is correct. You probably shouldn't have been asleep with a 16 week old puppy loose in the house. Of course that doesn't really explain why the dog actually targeted you. That does seem odd. Was it during the day or at night?

How often do you take the pup out? At 16 weeks I'd still be taking her out every two hours during the day whether she seemed to need to go or not. Maybe even more often. And crated at night. Avoiding a situation where they need to hold it is the best way to avoid accidents (or outright assaults :cool:) and instill the notion that outdoors is where they're supposed to take care of their business.

bubbatd

Pretty smart I'd say !!! Sure got your attention didn't it !?

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Ahhh....you haven't truly experienced all the joys of puppy owning until you've been peed on LOL

lizzybeth727

I agree with the above advice. In case you were wondering, I'd guess your puppy peed on you to get attention - maybe instead of barking at the door or ringing a bell, she's learned that to tell you she has to go, she should go on you!

Vivien

I am sorry but that cracked me right up.
I am pretty sure the potty session of the pup was fully your fault.I am assuming that you were not sleeping on the floor. Correct?Therefore you were on a bed/couch. Most beds and couches are high enough off the floor that there is no way a 16 week old chi could jump up on. So I am assuming that you fell asleep with the puppy on the bed/couch with you on it? A puppy that young and small can't jump off an object that big without hurting itself. Therefore if it had to go you really gave it no choice but to pee on you/ beside you. Puppies that young can't hold it for long. Again, I am assuming this, but if this was the scenario then thats why the puppy peed on you. Next time while you sleep put the puppy in the crate, once the puppy is older he can sleep with you when your asleep.
~Viv

H

HarleyD

I adopted a chihuahua who is now about 16 weeks old.

So I was sleeping, the puppy was looking for a place to pee... she walked onto my chest and peed. Not just a nervous piddle, but a full pee session.

I have never had a dog pee on me. Besides the pee on my chest, the pup has also peed on my wife twice. I understand a dog peeing on a carpet or other "bad" place. But this was me, the pack leader!

I'm doing the typical crate training, but it's obviously not working.. or I'm doing something wrong. Any tips for other forms of training an indoor dog?

Thanks, John
4 words. Take Her Out More!

Pups need to go out every 2 hours...sometimes less with small breeds like Chi's. If she's on the bed with you, and obviously can't get down, where else do you expect her to go?

johnsmith

I was slacking on the crate training, but let me also explain a few things...

My wife was awake and the dog walked away from her, onto me (asleep) and peed on my chest. If the dog had kept walking, she could have gone down the "stairs" we put next to the couch. Her and her sister use them 10 times a day to get onto the couch.

So I guess the final answer is that I kept her out of the crate too long.

I have a follow up crate question... after letting them out of their crates, how long do you wait for them to relieve themselves before giving up and putting them back in the crate? Thanks for all your help, I'm glad I could make you guys laugh with the story

Herschel

I have a follow up crate question... after letting them out of their crates, how long do you wait for them to relieve themselves before giving up and putting them back in the crate? Thanks for all your help, I'm glad I could make you guys laugh with the story
Wait? Wait for what?

Walk her until she goes to the bathroom. She will go eventually. If you stand still, she won't go. If you walk, she will.

Maxy24

go out for as long as you can handle ;) If she won't go then back into the crate for ten minutes and then back out you go.

The problem was not that she was out of the crate too long but that's she's not going out enough and may not be being watched well enough. Did your wife see her circle or sniff before she peed? If your wife could not be watching her then yes she should have been in the crate. How often does the pup go out? Mistakes happen just try to be more watchful :)

Dekka

Just try me..
HAHA I have a friend who's fiance is always getting peed on. Dogs who have never peed on a human before will pee on him. I wouldn't worry about the whole silly 'pack leader' thing. Even if you want to get hung up on that old myth, you have to remember this is a baby. If a human baby peed on you, would you worry that the tot was peeing on the 'pack leader'?

Are you rewarding her when she pees outside? Not just a 'good girl' but a small treat etc?

Members online

No members online now.