Im at a Loss

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
OK as you know Pakak is going on 13 weeks old Monday. I have had him for going on a week and has had a problem with his foot attacking since day one. Ok heres a good idea of what i do every time i have one of these incidents.

Pakak attacks my feet and this is'nt any little nips i me he goes full out i mean i have bled a couple times.

I stomp my foot loudly and say in a loud firm voice NO!!!!.

Pakak jumps back alittle stunned cocks his head to the side and sits

I go to try and walk and he attacks my feet again!

I do the same stomp and loud no and he has the same reaction may even whine.

So i go to walk again and he goes at me again!

I put Pakak in his crate (which is adult dog size so he's comfortable) and leave him there for 15 min while he whines and howls. If he's not down howling and whining after 15 min i make him wait until his done throwing his fit and then he gets to come out.

Maybe 15 20 mintutes later i have the attack Malamute back on my feet!!!

I don't know what else to do i know its only been a week but still you would think he would have caught on atleast alittle bit. He has TONS of toys and treats and I just don't understand why he feels he has to attack my feet. Im thinking this may be an attention getting thing (like i never give him attention :rolleyes: ) and so i am trying to teach him that doing this doesent give him attention but gets him ignored in his crate. If he goes over some time with out attacking my feet he gets alot of praise. Im hoping he will catch on eventually he is just really obsessed with my feet. Any other ideas to get him to stop this behavior I would love to know. Im not looking for a new puppy over night he just doesent seem to be getting it.

HELP MY FEET ARE RAW!!! lol its true

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
You said you're a religious raw feeder, and you said your feet are raw maybe he's confused!! :D
Seriously though I think you are doing all the right things! I would put something substantial on my feet for a bit as well!! Give your poor feet a bit of a rest! :)

Brattina88

When you stomp your foot he's getting a reaction and that's probably what he wants, and an excuse to continue. My suggestion is to teach him the 'leave it' command. There's many books and websites on teaching this, or you could pm me if you want.
Or you could put a leash on him, or those nice collar extentions and a training collar. When he goes at your foot pop the leash. Read about it before poping a leash, have someone shoe you if you are unsure. Tell him to sit (tell him what to do instead of what not to do) and then praise. Offer him another toy instead... Limit his toys, offer them in rotations so he only has access to a couple at a time. This way he won't get used to having so many and ignore them, or get bored. HTH

Feel like soaking your feet & the legs of your pants in bitter apple spray? :D

For me, Jake will go after my arm if he's feeling playful and I'm trying to pet him so when he does, I hold my arm still and will sharply say no. If that fails to get his attention, I'll say 'no' or 'hey' in a growl (not loud, just as a growl). This backs him off and when I pat him without getting chewed, I praise him. I've also heard 'yelping' will call them off as well.

Saje

Island dweller
LOL I have nothing new to add except the above ^ idea of apple bitter spray. If your feet aren't stinky already you should make them stinky(er) LOL

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
That's what I was thinking put something on your feet that he won't like.

I think you're doing a great job so far, it could just be a phase. But anyway, I think whoever said that when you stomp your foot you're giving him a reaction which he's looking for and has more reason to continue, is right. I don't think you should do that at all, completely ignore him when he does that and put him in his crate. It's the worst thing you can do to a dog. Soon he'll get the idea.

Good luck.

BigDog2191 said:
I don't think you should do that at all, completely ignore him when he does that and put him in his crate. It's the worst thing you can do to a dog. Soon he'll get the idea.
Perhaps the bathroom - The last thing anyone here needs is a dog that hate's their crate because it's a punishment :) .

Saje

Island dweller
Yes. Don't use the crate as a punishment. It should be their safe place. You know that L4P :) Just felt like saying it. :)

Has he learned 'Sit' yet? That's a great tool to stop him in his tracks. Every single time he goes for your feet, give him 'Sit.' When he's held it for a few seconds, then it's good puppy time. After he's been stopped in his tracks several (hundred?) times, he should get fairly tired of the whole thing and decide there are games that are much more fun.

Pakak sounds like he's going to be a leader! He sure doesn't sound like a pup that's going to turn into a dog willing to just follow along . . . he's probably got a fairly strong prey drive as well. Just don't let anyone give you any fuzzy slippers, :D

And Emma will be back Monday and will probably have some excellent suggestions for you.

fennash

Border Collie Lover
Don't know if it's any help but I had a similar problem with one of my boys but he was attacking my son's bike wheels. I tried all the usual stuff, teaching him leave, telling him no even keeping him on a lead but nothing did the trick. Eventually I tried a water pistol. I didn't say anything to him, just each time he went to attack the wheel I gave him a quick squirt. It worked really well. I guess he must have thought the wheel was squirting him. Might be worth a try.
Good luck
Lynn

Sakasha

Sheltered
We've used spray bottles at the shelter for serious problems, and seen amazing results. However, it must be used carefully. Timing is very important - make sure you spray Pakak as he's biting, not as he approaches or backs off. Also, don't allow him to see the spray bottle (hide it up your sleave if possible), you want him to think that this happens everytime he bites feet, not just when he bites yours, or just when you have the bottle.

Make sure that he has GOOD experiences with water elsewhere too. Allow him to drink from water bottles, play with water from the hose, etc. There is one particular dog at work who flattens herself against the back of her run everytime we clean or fill water bowls - and she was trained with the aid of a spray bottle.

Good luck!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I can't put him in anouther room he doesent see it has a punnishment and just plays in there and doesent whine at all. And he's a trip he gets into everything and i just don't feel safe living him anywhere but his crate. And don't worry he still goes into his crate at hi own will he is napping in there as we speak with the door open. Im not upset im just saying i worry when he is in the other room.

Oh, I know what you mean about worrying when he's in the other room! :rolleyes: When Kharma's not in the room with me and stays gone for more than a minute or two I know she's up to no good . . . especially if she's being quiet :eek:

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
He's doing a bit better a have a sore toe right now and i think my howls of pain when he has attacked my foot has scared him because he flattens his ears and drops him tail. But really he hasent been as bad as he was i think he's slowly learning toys are more fun. I think it will just take time. I broke a few nights ago since he has been really good at night in his crate and let him up on the bed. So thats where he's been sleeping also I am to the point with him where he only goes in his crate while im on my runs and all i say is " ok Pakak go to your room" and he goes on there pretty well I say the same thing to Babe and she goes in the laundry room. Right now their all playing in the field and i can see them from the window while im working and talking on here lol im such a slacker but have my work done on time.

He is just the cutest little devil! And I'm so glad you have Babe, too. I showed her picture to Charley last night and he thought she was just about the prettiest Pit he'd ever seen. His comment on Pits in general: "they make the most wonderful companion animals." I think that just sums it up so well.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I have to agree Renee i think Babe is absolutly beautiful she will be a total diva im sure lol.

Members online

No members online now.