okay,please somebody talk me down...

MonaD

Hi,
I don't know if I'm going to get flamed for being an irresponsible dog owner or simply over-reacting or what, but I am sort of freaking right now. So please can someone offer some words of advice...
My pup Murphie is currently eating Innova. I've done quite a bit of research on raw food (here and elsewhere) and I thought I'd start slipping a little into her diet and see how it goes.
Well today I gave her a raw chicken wing (chicken wings were recommended on a website with sample diets as a good place to start coz of the small size etc), drumstick part only and she just gulped the whole thing down! One bite, one swallow! I thought she chew the thing a bit, gnaw on the bone etc.
She now has a moderatley sized chicken wing bone in her stomach and I'm a bit freaked. There is no way she can digest that thing. And she is a good sized pup, but I don't like to think about that thing trying to work its way through her system and come out the other end.
I called my vet clinic, just to ask (no I did not consult the vet about raw food prior to this) and they helped to instill the current panic I am in.
Does anyone else think this is worth panicing over? Or should I just chill and let her little doggie system deal with it?
Thanks to all that respond,
Mona

Doberluv

Well, what did they say to instill panick. That thing could turn sideways in her intestines and get stuck. This is one worry I've had about the raw diet. I worry about perforating the intestines. I think it is possible though, that it will be passed or even broken down by gastric juices. I'm not sure about a dog's system that way. What did the vet tell you? Do you live close to the vet's? I do hope pup will be OK. Let us know. My thoughts are with you here.

MonaD

Thanks for the thoughts Doberluv,
Yeah, the vet talked about blockages, perforations of the stomach, intestines etc, bloody diarhea, salmonella on and on and on.
I think he may have gone a little overboard on me, but hey, apparently he does NOT go in for the raw food thing.
He did say, that they see some very nasty cases, but many dogs are garbage guts and can handle anything, but he is still concerned. Of course he told me all about the worst case scenarios (and a stern talk about why raw is not good, which I still at this point do not believe). Maybe she will pass it and all will be well. I do live close, if things go bad.
Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Saje

Island dweller
I think it's a good idea to go to Mordy's site and ask her directly. She usually gets back to people right away. Or PM her but she replies faster on her site. Did your dog chew it or just swallow it? A lot of people here feed raw chicken (L4P CT for starters) and I don't think they have any problems. Well, you should ask them too. I dont' want to speak for them. Long story short - if your vet is not educated about raw diets he's probably against them. That doesn't mean they are wrong

bubbatd

Mona..I posted on your other forum. Check it too. I meant to ask her size and age.

MonaD

Murphie is about 4 1/2 months and around 40 lbs.
Good healthy pup. She is currently chewing the heck out of her favourite toy-she seems fine so far.
Man, I love that little mutt!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I think that the bone will be dissolved fairly quickly! The stomach acids in dogs are very strong!!!

Saje

Island dweller
the thing is that dogs have been eating bones for thousands of years and they didn't get sick whenever they ate. They've only been eating kibble for about 60 years I think. Isn't it amazing how fast we get used to things. Like toilet paper! Hasn't been aroudn that long

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Saje said:
Isn't it amazing how fast we get used to things. Like toilet paper! Hasn't been aroudn that long

And where would we be without Toilet Paper hey!! Lol!! :D I for one would be a much sadder person without it!! :D

Saje

Island dweller
I looked it up what we used before because I'm quite curious. There were other curious people out there! Leaves, snow and corncobs! Apparently they used to hang a dry corncob in the outhouse. They used magazine pages too but not everyone got those

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
You're doing this on purpose!! You know I can't resist a joke!!!! Lol! I'm forcibly restraining myself from writing some sort of rude toilet paper/corn cob/poop joke in here!!!! :D

MonaD

hahahahahah. I have had to use leaves, grass and worse (too personal?), but never, uh, corncobs??Thank god for toilet paper (or thank Mr Charmin).

Saje

Island dweller
Snow is actually not as bad as it sounds. Cleaned then some alternatives.

Adrienne

My pup Gunnar did the same exact thing with his first piece of chicken wing. I was a nervous wreck but he had no problems. After that I put on my dish washing gloves and held the piece of meat so that he had to chew. Now that he is older, (4 months) he chews it nicely on his own.
I would think your pup will be just fine, but it sure makes you nervous. Gunnar was panting that evening and I thought that he was gonna be sick or worse but it was just me over-reacting.

bubbatd

Saje...I was thinking about that the other night. Back in the 40s we had one dog food...canned Dr Ballard to feed ! ( this was in Canada )

Saje said:
the thing is that dogs have been eating bones for thousands of years and they didn't get sick whenever they ate. They've only been eating kibble for about 60 years I think. Isn't it amazing how fast we get used to things. Like toilet paper! Hasn't been aroudn that long
. . . and then we have Kharma, who has been known to steal rolls of toilet paper and partially eat them . . . raw of course. :rolleyes:

Mona, don't worry too much. The chicken bones that cause the perforation problems that vets uneducated in the ways of feeding dogs like to scare people with are cooked; the raw ones don't splinter like that and dogs' atomic gastric secretions take care of the raw ones, as well as most food-poisoning type bugaboos that would send us to worship at the shrine of the porcelain god.

Those kinds of vets like to sell their clients over priced Science DIEt and Eukanuba products. They mean well, but . . . :rolleyes:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Just one word of warning for the future, don't feed things like wings unless you have a TINY dog. I too have a "gulper" who one swallowed an entire chicken neck.. It scared me to death. He was fine, but now he doesn't get anything much smaller than his head. It forces him to chew his food. :)

MonaD

Thanks to all.
I'm feeling much better after reading your posts. Murphie seems totally fine. But I confess I won't be totally relaxed till she has a few bm's. Perhaps next time I'll hold it or give her a bigger chunk so she is forced to chew.
all the best,
Mona

Saje

Island dweller
I give my dogs chicken and fish bones which are tinier. Dogs systems were meant to digest bones. They've been eating them for thousands of years. And unless they are cooked they don't splinter. My kids sure enjoyed their fish today.

Members online

No members online now.