Vacation... What do you think?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Since it's the holiday season, and my mothers side all live four hours away, and we haven't seen them all year, we're planning on taking a trip out to visit them. We (My sister, mom, and I) are all going to be staying with my grandparents.

Due to age, and living arrangments, they have no pets, however, they have always liked animals. So, I got to thinking how much I usualy HATE this trip, and told my mom "I'll come if Zoey can come!". Now I've got to thinking it's not a good idea. Four hours seems like a long time to me. She wouldn't be in her crate the whole time, and it isn't a cramped up car, we just bought a van, so there's space for her and her crate. I'm just not sure how much she would like it.

She LOVES driving in the car, even if we're not going anywhere fun, even if it's just to the store. When we go, there wouldn't be much time I wouldn't be with her. Maybe an hour or two when we go visit my aunt..

But here's my question. Zoey loves people, and I think most of you all know that, but we always have a family dinner, and there are a LOT of people. Usualy no younger kids, just my younger cousin who's probably almost 11(?). So, I'm wondering if a lot of people and a new place would be to much for her. She usualy doesn't mind, like, we've taken her into stores where we know people, and I set her down, and we do long sit, stays, downs, comes, and she's fine, the people don't bother her.

So, what do you think? Yes to a small vacation for Zozo, or no? What would you do?

Barb04

Super Moderator
Can you bring a baby gate with you in case you need to block Zoey off in part of the house just in case it gets to hectic? She sounds like from the way you describe her behaviour, that she'd enjoy going with you.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Brab, I really do think she would like it, and like I said, I am going to bring her crate. So, when people are there, and while we are eating, I will put her in her crate, unless I have her on a leash, because it seems like when shes excited, she forgets all her manners.

I honestly, think that this would be a VERY good chance to wrok on our focas. And train her to get used to people in strange places.

Also, I can shut the door to one room, or the whole hall where all the rooms are.
However, I DO have a babygate, that I may bring just in case... Even though I know if she decided to jump it, she could.

Another question, since we will be in a new place with an open front and back yard, and close neighbors, I need to take her out every so often, how often should she be taken out?

Thanks

milos_mommy

i don't think it would be a problem. Milo was only six months old when i drove from NY to North Carolina with him (and my parents, grandmother, younger brother, and two other dogs) to stay in a hotel. and as far as i know, Zozo is much better behaved than Milo.

i think it would be great! i say go for it.

cinnamon

If your grandparents don't mind having her, then take her for sure. You might need one or two pitstops for bathroom breaks (even I need those :)).

You could take a couple of new bones or chew sticks to keep her occupied if you want to visit with family.

Is the 11 year old cousin the only adolescent (sp?). If he gets bored of adult conversation after an hour or so (like my kids did), maybe he'd like to play with Zoey?

bubbatd

If it's alright with Grandma ,,,go for it ! Mine have taken trips much long .

Toller_08

When Dance was 4 1/2 months old we went to visit family who live 11 hours away. She did just fine with that. I'd say take Zoey, I highly doubt it will be a problem. :)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Smudge went to NY at 4-5 months old. 9 hours each way, no issue.

Remember to give lots of crate breaks if the house is hectic with people for some quiet calm down time.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Thanks everyone! Cinnamon, he will be the youngest there, I am almost sure. Not sure if he'd like to play with her, I actualy think he might be scared of dogs... I think the last time I saw him, a sheepdog barked at him, and he was very upset the rest of the day, and I think his older brother got bit by thier GSD when he was young, but I think he is still okay with dogs, just isn't very "oh I LOVE dogs!".

I don't know, I persoanly think that Zoey would be a good dog to bring and see if they did okay with her. I mean really, who could be scared of ZOEY!? LOL

Thanks again, I am pretty sure she's coming, now to figure out when we're going.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I would take her outside on a leash into the backyard and try to go in one area if possible.

Members online

No members online now.