What is the scariest thing you have encountered with your dog??

Twilight

Boxer Rescue
My scariest with Joey, was when we went to the lake, he was about 10 months old, andwas happily spashing about in the shallow part, then he saw a stick floating near the other side of the lake, she he ran around climbed on a rock and jumped in, he went right under to the bottom, i ran around and jumped in after him and pulled him out.
So he has a lifejacket now lol

Scariest thing with mitzi was when i first got her, we went to park and everything was going great so i thought i would test her recall, i let her off and she was really good for about half an hour, coming back when called, then the next minute she just had a change of plan and just sprinted towards the gate, so i sprinted after her,
luckily it was shut, otherwise she would of ran straight out into the road

RoxyBoxer

Mine would be when Roxy has a seizure/shake attack. I was crying and I seriously thought she was have a heartattack or something. Yeah boxers dont seem to realize they cant swim very well Roxy tried to run after a bird once and didnt realize the bird was flying over the water not running on it. scared the crap outa me she took a second to come back up and she puked up water :(

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Mordy said:
with quigley, the scariest thing ever was when i found he had chewed the TV power cable in two - while it was plugged in. the goof could have killed himself.

with my dachshund it was her chasing a fox into its den and not coming out for two hours. i can't blame her, that's what they are bred for and it's in her blood, but it wasn't fun to wait and hear both the fox and the dog growl and yip at eachother - while standing around in the pouring rain.

with my great dane, it was a confrontation with an escaped mental hospital patient. the guy had himself set up near a popular park trail and was pelting anyone who walked by with rocks - people, kids, dogs, horses... :eek:

i let my dane off leash and he tackled the guy. someone else had already called the police and they arrived to collect him shortly after.
ROFLMAO!!! Haaaaa that is so funny, I can just picture the guy, "Hey you" *stone* "Get Back here" *stone* "Horseeeeeeeee" *stone*

:D

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Sirius said:
ROFLMAO!!! Haaaaa that is so funny, I can just picture the guy, "Hey you" *stone* "Get Back here" *stone* "Horseeeeeeeee" *stone*

:D
lol looking back it does sound funny, but at the time it was actually pretty scary. the guy was seriously disturbed and had hit a couple kids with fist-sized rocks already and injured them. :( thankfully the horses were in a large pasture and had taken off far away up the hill, out of his reach.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
cotton mouth, copperhead, those horrible burrs that are about an inch long and covered with spines....Victor..his worst is the fish that kept biting his tail while he was retreiving his ball..i lol as he would turn around quick with his hind quarters sunk down a little...must have been a big fish!

Scariest:

I was walking my old Beagle, Farfel back about 30 years ago in the desert near my house in Las Vegas. This was an area between two housing developments being built. We are going along and I hear the rattle of a rattlesnake right ahead of us, and I see it's head bobbing between a rock and a bush. So, we turn around and go the other way to make a big circle around the area, and then go back home. About 5 minutes later, we are moving at Farfel's normal fast walking speed when we go past a couple of tumbleweeds (AKA Mesquite for you grillers, thet get it free from a weed, and then charge you for it!) and right after I pass by, another Rattlesnake strikes and misses me by a foot or so! I was spooked about Rattlesnakes for a long time after that. My friend's dog was bitten in his back yard about a month later, and had a nasty looking "pit" on his leg for the rest of his life.

I never saw another snake the entire time I lived there...

Most painful:

I'm walking Farfel at night. I was living in an apartment then, and we were coming back home and the rear entrance to the building's light had burned out again, so I didn't see the foot deep holes the groundskeeper had dug along the sidewalk, and when I "cut the corner", I stepped into one of the holes, and turned my left ankle, then put my other foot into another hole, and turned that ankle too. Then the worst, I stumbled and turned the left ankle THE OTHER WAY! The pain was unbelievable! I sat there moaning for a while, then crawled to my apartment, put the dog inside, and crawled to my truck and drove myself to the ER, only a mile away. By the time I got there, my left ankle was so huge they had to cut my shoe off. Somehow, it was only sprained, but it took a week just to be able to walk 10 feet without being drenched in sweat. Nearly 30 years later, my left ankle cracks and creaks..

Athebeau

Wow, some pretty scary things have happened to every one. :)
My scariest - always an encounter with porcupines hiding in the bushes. I hate it when you have your dog on lead and they stick their head in a bush and come back out with a head full of quills :rolleyes:

With Athena my Rottie, before I had Beau I would take her for walks by herself at a local lake with great walking trials. This was also a place for kids to party and drink. In the summer I didn't take the Newf's as it was too hot. Anyway, I was walking along with her on lead and a bunch of drunk teenage boys were partying (2 in the afternoon). A few of the boys wanted to come over to see her and Athena being an attention hound was milking all the attention she could get. Well, one of the idiot boys starts drunkenly screaming that he's not afraid of any Rottie and proceeds to punch my little girl in the head with all his force. It came as a complete surprise and I was not prepared for him to punch her. I was shocked.
Athena fell down and seemed quite stunned, she then got back up and came sulking over to me. The other boys started yelling at the other boy. Athena was sucking up to the other boys quite stunned at what had just happened, I gave her leash to one of the "nice" boys and went over and slapped the drunk boy. I don't have an aggression bone in my body...but, I just couldn't hold back. When I think back to it now I think how silly I was and stupid. That boy could have sued me for physically laying a hand on him. The other boys congradulated me and told me the guy was a real jerk and they would not be hanging out with him any more. I was very proud of Athena, she displayed a wonderful character and did not react aggressively. I am sure she would stand in front of me to take any blows for me...but, this proves that my little girl would not react in an aggressive manner. What makes me most proud is this dog was very aggressive when I first rescued her, at one time (before I worked with her) she probably would have reacted in an aggressive manner.

My boy Beau fell off a cliff and onto a small ledge. I had to run way down the road and make my way up the beach...crawl up the side of the cliff as far as I could and call him to jump into my arms. It took awhile for him to get up enough courage and trust, but, he finally did (he's a big dog, I'm surprised I managed to hold on to him and my footing). This made me very proud as he also is a rescue with a bad background.

I had a Dobe way back that didn't realize my car window was wide open...she was always used to it being mainly closed and she would put her paws on the window and bark at passing joggers etc. She barked at something along the road and went flying through the window. She had a little road burn but was alright. We both learned a lesson that day, and now I keep the windows down just far enough for air to circulate. Very stupid on my part.

This is terrible, and completely my fault :( ....my Sister's explorer has power windows (4 door). We had the windows down, (stupid), we stopped to talk to a friend, got out of the truck and forgot to lock the power windows. Athena was barking (as usual in the truck). While she was barking she was bouncing up and down on the power window button, she stopped barking and I turned around and there she was with her head wedged in the window (I think they will stop automatically as a safety measure). Anyway, it was tight and she had her tongue sticking out and eyes bulging. I ran over and quickly got the window down from the drives side. It was scary, stupid on my part (and my sister's) but, it came out alright and now Athena has an insane fear of power windows. She will get into any car with roll down windows, but, as soon as she hears the sound of power windows..she freaks. Poor little girl. Now, I sound like a horrible dog owner. :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
So far the scariest thing Bodhi has encountered is an Umberella ;)
But even that was more unusual than scary - she's a tough little cookie!

B

BlackDog

I think my scariest time with lilly was when I was walking her in our neighborhood and around dog got loose and attacked her. She were four houses down from the house the dog got loose. The dog was being walked by two little kids and they let the leash slip. The dog came after lilly. I saw him coming but I didn't have enough time to pick her put. The dog picked her up by the neck and shock her around. I grabbed the dog's collar and was trying to get him off but he had his teeth in her neck. Then all of the sudden he let go. The little girls run up to the dog, dragged him off, and said sorry. We took lilly to the emergency vet and they had to put in a drainage tube because the bite marks were so deep. Luckily we went to the neighbor that had the dog and they paid the vet bill. She told us it wasn't the first time the dog had attacked another dog. She said ''well now maybe the girls will be more careful and realize how serious this is" I was like, this is your fault for letting two little girls walk a dog that's stronger than both of them outside unattended with a history of dog violance. That dog really should have been taken away from them.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Mordy said:
lol looking back it does sound funny, but at the time it was actually pretty scary. the guy was seriously disturbed and had hit a couple kids with fist-sized rocks already and injured them. :( thankfully the horses were in a large pasture and had taken off far away up the hill, out of his reach.
I would imagine it would be funny, but still... and your GD tackled him? Haha. I have been watching too much tv.

The worst moment I've had was on February evening. It had been cold and game was scarce and the coyotes had been getting hungry - making them brazen.

Something made me leave the warm house and walk out onto the carport that looks into the back pasture just in time to see Bimmer snarl and take off after a coyote. Then I saw the second coyote at the top of the rill. Bimmer saw it just before I did and gave Buffy the signal and she charged the rill full speed, baying at the top of her lungs, hackles raised. The coyotes squealed and wheeled and took off over the rill as quickly as they could, and Bimmer and Buffy stopped at the top of the rill and stood there and howled for a few seconds before responding to my whistle.

Scared the bejeezus out of me. I realized there were probably several more waiting on the other side of the rill . . .

I never saw a man or a beast that stood steady when my Buffy charged though . . .

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
What do you think would have happend? would bimmer have been able to defend against so many?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Sirius said:
I would imagine it would be funny, but still... and your GD tackled him? Haha. I have been watching too much tv.
yup, he took him down allright. he wasn't schutzhund trained or anything beyond basic obedience, but had a very keen sense of right and wrong and never tolerated threatening movements by anyone.

as long as i had him with me, my parents didn't care all that much where i went (or for how long i was gone) and i had a lot of freedom. :D

Mastiffgirlie

ican'tkeepmyeyesoffyou
Well, the worst thing was when Harley snuck into my backpack. I opened my locker, opened my bag, and pop! Harley's head pops out. I was like :eek:!! Laurr came to get him though. Well... it took awhile because Harley ate my CELL PHONE!!!

keyodie

Keyozilla
hmm...

Once, my neighbor's dog and Charlie were playing and running around in our other neighbor's yard. When we checked on them again, they weren't there. So I was like, oh well, Charlie will come back. But my neighbor and I went on the golf cart anyway. Pretty soon, we hear cars honking at the highway across my street and Charlie was running really fast across tehe highway. He made it! I was so scared.

showpug

I have two stories...

Number one on my list is where my great dane decided he had had enough of my pug staring him down and picked him up at the neck and shook him to kill him. Shook him just like a ragdoll. I can remember watching my pugs body go limp and flop all over the place like he was dead. I tackled my dane after knocking down chairs and moving a table. By the time I got my pug out of his mouth he just laid there lifeless and then caught his breath. I took him to the vet and luckily he just suffered some pretty bad puncture wounds and was put on bed rest and pain meds. :( I have never been so scared or felt so helpless in all of my life. I thought he was killing my dog! Needless to say, the next day I had bruises all over from breaking up the fight and my pug and great dane were never allowed in the same part of the house again!

Number two on my list was when I was home alone and a group of three men came to my front door and stayed there. They started knocking and I didn't know who they were so I wouldn't answer the door, I just watched through the window upstairs. They just kept knocking and ringing the doorbell for 10 minutes!!!! Next to our front door is a floor to ceiling window and I had had enough and was getting scared, so I sent my great dane downstairs and said "go get them!" He ran up to that window, put his nose on the glass and let out the the loudest scariest growl and bark ever. His hackles went up, front legs became stick straight and his tail was sky high. He was a massive dane, 170lbs and 36'' at his withers. He was jet black and had cropped ears, so needless to say he looked very scary to the average joe...they left my door in a hurry!!!LOL!!

Brattina88

I HATE that panic/scared feeling that takes over and leaves you feeling helpless. I could go on and on, but I bet things that scared me to death you'd kindof have to be there to understand. If I get in a mood I startle easily. :rolleyes:

Scariest People Related: I live on what is refered to as the southside of town, and anybody who lives around here knows that the 'southside' is "very bad." Right in the middle of "ghettoville" is a small park that is in walking distance from my house. Maddie and I were comming out of the woods in the park like we always do, happy and care-free. Maddie looked awful because I let her swim in the creek, and the water was a little muddy because it'd rained a couple nights before. I stumbled out of the woods and onto the flat feild (I'm very clumsy and fall often in woods, but its still fun :rolleyes:) and when I straightened up I was seriously practically eye to eye with this very large (tall+wide) man. I will remember that image for the rest of my life; he was wearing a long black coat and he was very dirty. The thing that had most of my attention, however, was in his left hand he carried what appeared to be a good sized steak knife? All I could think of is what the heck is this man doing with a knife in a child's park?! I swear I nearly peed my pants! Maddie was offleash, but she was by my side as if she was on one, almost as if she was straining against a leash, crazy as it sounds. She barked the lowest, loudest, most aggressive bark I have ever heard out of my little cocker. ALL of the hair on her back, from her ears to her tail was standing straight up. He was looking right at me and I was terrified... but she destracted him and he took a couple steps back. Then I studdered like a fool, finally pulled myself together and spat out "She bites!" He took several steps back very quickly. I called her, and as always was surprised she actually came all things considering, clipped her leash on and ran as fast as I could. We were both shaking.

Animal Related: I drove 25mins away from my house to get Maddie Innova Evo, and she went with me to that pet store. When we got home (I hate making 2 trips to and from the car :confused: ) I juggled my purse, the Very large bag of dog food, Maddie's leash and the keys to my house in the driveway when I heard this low growl. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I turned, and I saw the HUGEST wonken dog I have ever seen in my whole entire life, and I refuse to tell Anybody the breed a believe it was because I don't want to contribute to breed discrimination. It doesn't matter... he was HUGE, and growling. Standing in my driveway looking at me and Maddie. I froze, feeling pretty helpless because the way I was holding things. I was terrified that he would go after Maddie, because she is so little, especailly compared to him. He lookes really gross, like he had mange or something, and deffinatly cherry eye. It had been awhile since I'd seen a dog approach agressivly without being provoked. Maddie didn't even bark, that was really creepy. I stood there for a minute, listening to the growls before I finally shouted "Go on, go home! Shoo!" Feeling pretty foolish saying shoo to that Huge dog. But he did, turned around and headed down the sidewalk. I took my stuff inside and sat down for 2mins, to calm down, then I felt really bad because the dog looked sick so I left Maddie in the house and went to look for him, but I never found him.
:eek:

smkie said:
What do you think would have happend? would bimmer have been able to defend against so many?
I really don't know and don't want to find out :eek: Coyotes are adept at working together. They've been known to pack up on dogs around here larger than Bimmer. The only real advantages he's got are that wolfy "edge" of his, the fact that he grew up with a much larger, stronger dog, and it never hurts to have back up born and bred to hunt jaguar! I keep reminding him to stay away from trouble though. I tell him he's like Muhammed Ali, he's "just too pretty to bleed."

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Oh emm gee... Sam has done it again :rolleyes:

So we are walking through the park, the dog park, and Sam is being a happy lil fart and running around and yeah. So anyways, this is during my walk last night. So, some drunk guy stumbles in from a party and is like singing twinkle twinkle little star, when he comes up to me and is like, LAAAADEEEIII do yooo havvv moneeeiii? and I was like uh... Sam! so Sam comes running and he's like PREEEEEETY DOGDOG?!?!?!?! And I was like, okay here is 10 dollars mister feel better and started to leave. So then he's like I wanna buy your dogdog. So I'm like excuse me?! ANd hes like gimme the dog! so I'm like, no! and start to walk away but then he says I-I-hh ave 10 dollarrs! So, I was like, come on sam! So we started to walk away, but then, some women came up to the man and they were like, daddy where were you?? and I was like, oh he wanted to buy my dog! And they were like, yeah sorry he's drunk. I went home. Scaaary.

Members online

No members online now.