Shih Tzus

milos_mommy

Share your shih tzu experience....I've met a bunch recently due to work and they're pretty awesome.

Mostly I'm wondering if anyone has any experience training them.

Pam111

I have Annabelle. She is the sweetest dog I have ever seen. She loves everyone, especially children. She is very well behaved and was super easy to house train. Now, as far as other training, she just knows the basics (sit, come, walking nicely on a leash) because I never trained her for anything else, but I think she could learn other things. Honestly, she was the easiest puppy I've ever had (though she was around 4 months when I got her). She rarely barks also

Maxy24

Phoebe does not have the proper Shih tzu temperament, her father is known to be aggressive, she was not well socialized, and her owners are not all that great. So I'll try not to say too much about her temperament other than she is pretty soft and can tell when you are getting upset (and if it's during training she'll stop performing well). She is also prone to anxiety because she is soft so easily frightened.

As far a training goes they are considered one of the least intelligent breeds but Phoebe has been really easy to train, not that I have a ton to compare her to. She is very food motivated and does not distract easily, she has taken to shaping very well and knows to try out different behaviors until I click and then progress that behavior. She's really quite easy to teach I think.
She also has very good manners, not one to push boundaries.

It did take her a year to fully housebreak but I bet it was the methods used.

She barks when someone comes to the door or is in the yard but does not bark otherwise.

My friends mom has one. Jake, he is 13 now, Ive known him since he was 2 or 3. But is the sweetest little guy. He does bark, at the door and such, like a normal dog though. Seems welle nough trained for what they want in a family dog (sit, stay, walks nice on leash, doesnt take off running ect). He can have a "temper" and get growly. But its probably more to do with his breeding, which is BYB. But otherwise I think he is a pretty good little guy.

I have met tons others working in the grooming shop. Most have pretty good temperments fromw hat i can see. But being in a grooming shop is different then meeting on the street, less high stress area.

milos_mommy

I'm surprised to here they're one of the least intelligent breeds....they don't seem super-smart as work (also at a grooming shop) but not like they'd be difficult to train at all. Easier than a wheaten or hound, it seems.

Pam111

Anna isn't particularly "smart" but she's far from one of the most stupid dogs I've met. I'd say the ease in training is more from her willingness to please and her sweet nature than intelligence, though

My friends have 2 shih tzus. They're very sweet and well behaved. I know their older one is smarter and was easier to train. The younger one they got from Petland and is probably 2 years old now... not a very bright dog lol and they have trouble getting her to do tricks like the other one does. But she is house broken at least. They also have a 6 month old baby and the dogs have been pretty good with her.

Members online

No members online now.