An Idiot's Guide to Not Being an Idiot

BostonBanker

Canine Version.

#1 - When you come on to someone else's property, it is considered courteous to ASK before letting your dog out of the car.
#1a - This is especially true if there are other, unleashed dogs that you don't know standing next to your car.
#1b - This is even more true if there are lots of horses standing around who probably cost a lot more than your car.
#1c - This is vitally important your adolescent dog normally gets no exercise, has been in a crate for 5 hours, and does not know how to behave off-leash/around other dogs/around cats/around horses.

#2 - When you choose to ignore #1, you don't get to be Bi***y and ignore people when they ask you to get your dog under control.

#3 - "Getting your dog under control" does not mean closing it and another dog in the indoor arena together, so they can run and growl and wrestle and get the horses pastured next to the arena upset.
#3a - If you ignore #3, it is your job to clean up the enormous piles of crap your dog leaves in the arena.

#4 - "Getting your dog under control" also does not mean closing it in an empty stall, where it will proceed to cry and howl and dig and scratch the door.
#4a - This is especially true if someone is now trying to bring the upset horses from #3 into the barn past your loud annoying dog.

#5 - If you ignore all the requests, and your out of control adolescent dog is bothering one of the dogs who is SUPPOSED to be on the property, you don't get to make comments about how "mean" that dog is for growling at yours.
#5a - You are not permitted to hold the "mean" dog by the collar so your idiot dog can "sniff her and let them realize it's okay".
#5b - You certainly don't get to request that the "mean dog" be contained so your dog can play.

#6 - If you haven't payed any attention to #1 - #5, and the dog who is SUPPOSED to be on the property is still upset by your out of control dog, and you choose to lay a hand on the "mean" dog to correct it for growling, you will get bit. Not by the mean dog, but by the even meaner owner.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but why in the world do people think this crap is acceptable? All these things have happened multiple times in the past year by people who think that just because they come on a farm, they can let their dog be free. These aren't even clients, who normally ask about dogs and follow the rules. Just friends of clients, or strangers who come in to see the horses. People are idiots.

I used to work at a barn with around 40 horses at any given time (The barn owner boards horses for people and does horse rescue for PMU mares and foals that are off to slaughter) and it would drive me crazy when people would just bring in their dogs and let them free. Espeaciallyw hen Im working on getting a very scared mare who is a rescue out to pasture and some dog comes running out and scares her and then me. Very dangerous. I dont get why people think just becuase its a farm that they can just let their dogs out and run around. I have brought my dog there from time to time. I did a whole introduction with the farm dogs with him. He was always on leash and never allowed out near the horses, as they can be unpredictable and same with a dog who is not used to it. He only go to meet the ones I KNEW were not scared of dogs.

Or what drove me nuts is stangers coming, that have no bussiness there at all. Like people who just see horses out in pasture from the road and come in to visit them becuase their kids really wanted to see them. It is NOT a petting zoo.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yikes...just the thought of strange dogs with horses is enough to get to me. I hope no one has been hurt in the gathering of this information.

BostonBanker

it would drive me crazy when people would just bring in their dogs and let them free.
I seriously just don't get who would think that was a good idea! My dog is there all day with me, and the farm owners have a dog who is generally out as well. Both are very obedient, quiet, and stay out of the way. Like you said, half the time it is absolute strangers who just drive in to see the horses.

My only comfort is that dogs that aren't accustomed to being in the barn tend to really chow down on the manure...I'm sure those people have a lovely evening with their dog's upset stomach.

I hope no one has been hurt in the gathering of this information.
Nah, I don't bite hard enough to do any real damage;). And I did split a toenail all the way to the quick when everyone decided to let the dogs play in the indoor and I had to go rescue our very neurotic school horse who proceeded to jump on me :rolleyes:.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Yikes, BB.. no words...... I hope you DECKED the assholes and gave them something to remember their trip by. I can't believe someone would DARE hit Meg. :mad: Or any other dog that isn't their own.. not that they should be hitting their own dogs either.

Dekka

Just try me..
And I did split a toenail all the way to the quick when everyone decided to let the dogs play in the indoor and I had to go rescue our very neurotic school horse who proceeded to jump on me :rolleyes:.
I started to read this and hoped you had split your toenail booting the said idiot in the pants.

ACooper

I do realize that an idiot is normally someone who doesn't do things the way we want them done........

BUT YA! Anyone who would do that crap is an IDIOT........I don't care who they are or WHAT they think they know!

Lord you should have bit them as hard as you could! LOL

adojrts

Oh BB, I do sympathize!!!!!!!!!!
Several years ago, I HAD to post a new barn rule because of boarders (and others) lack of control over their dogs.
One of my boarders, figured that the rules didn't apply to her as she continued to bring her very out of control dog that caused absolute chaos each time it stepped out of her vehicle.
One night I was training a filly in the indoor, I heard a vehicle in the parking lot, next thing I knew the dog came flying through the open door, right under the feet of this filly. How in hell I never whacked my head of the rafters of the arena is beyond me as she blew. That was it, my farm, my rules..........
I told this boarder she had to the weekend to get her horse out. Needless to say I flipped on her lol.
Well, jump ahead a few years, this woman is now my 4 yr olds first teacher in Kindergarden!!! She made his life hell at school, when I found out what was going on, I went and had a little visit with her. Told her if she had a problem with me, fine..........but if she didn't knock it off were my kid was concerned I would have her job...................b***h
Agreed, its a farm not doggy romper room nor a convenient dog park.

BostonBanker

She made his life hell at school, when I found out what was going on, I went and had a little visit with her. Told her if she had a problem with me, fine..........but if she didn't knock it off were my kid was concerned I would have her job...
Holy cow:yikes:. Okay, you win the 'stupid boarder' contest. Nice to know the people teaching the next generation are at about the same maturity level as the kids.

Unfortunately, the decision to post the barn as "no dogs" isn't really my choice, as I'm not the owner. I'd feel bad too, for all the people with well-behaved dogs. I do enjoy having some of them around. I'm just going to have to start practicing in front of the mirror - *smile* "Oh, your dog is so cute! But you see, one of our ponies is allergic to stupidity, and he started wheezing as soon as you and the dog came in the barn. I'm not sure which of you is setting him off, so if you could both just get back in the car before I have to find the pony inhaler..."

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm just going to have to start practicing in front of the mirror - *smile* "Oh, your dog is so cute! But you see, one of our ponies is allergic to stupidity, and he started wheezing as soon as you and the dog came in the barn. I'm not sure which of you is setting him off, so if you could both just get back in the car before I have to find the pony inhaler..."
ROFL :hail:

adojrts

BB lol, sorry wasn't trying to win a contest :D

But since we are on the topic of idiots and horses........
A few years ago, I was with a friend looking for a new horse, we were at a very nice hunter barn and more private than public.
While we were there, these people showed up, looking to purchase (I really don't know) and they had this little boy with them. The kid kept running up and down the alley way. The star of the barn, a lovely fellow, had the stall of choice beside the office with an open stall front. Everytime that kid ran up and back, that gelding screwed his face up more and glaring with laserbeams as he watched that kid. The owner repeatedly asked the parents to stop him (she was far more polite than I would have been after the kid didn't comply), they said 'oh Johnny the horsey doesn't like that, please stop running................ vroom there goes the kid again.
Now this kid was about 8 or 9 years old, he had a large amount of very curly hair under a ball cap. And when dear Johnny ran to close and for the last time past that gelding, he got the shock of his life. That gelding very neatly plucked him up by the top of the head, filling his mouth with hat and hair (no flesh or bone) and shook................now Johnny didn't even have enough time to scream or yell before his hair gave way and he flew in the air tumbling towards to door!!!!!!!
Everyone stood there, rooted to the spot, of course Johnny was sitting on the floor holding his head (no blood). I looked at the gelding and he stood there, hanging his head out of his stall, ears pricked and with the most pleased expression on his face...........that was my undoing, I had to leave before the hysteria took over and I sunk to the ground. They found me later, still trying to compose myself at my friends vehicle. Where another round of tears, sore ribs and the non ability to breath as one cracked up started again.
I wonder if dear Johnny will ever run in a barn again???? Especially with one very pissed off horse watching his every move????

BostonBanker

:lol-sign: I hope that horse got a big bag of carrots that night! It sounds like something my old horse Boston would have done. Apparently a few years ago, he was giving a lesson to a young adult who nobody in the barn liked - just an absolute spoiled brat. He neatly deposited her on the ground, then walked over and, very purposefully, put one foot on the edge of her coat without touching her body. He then refused to move and just held her pinned to the ground until someone came to rescue her. That horse had a better sense of humor than most people I know!

adojrts

lol I hope he got a bag full too, he sure deserved it.
Your horse Boston sounds like quite the fellow too!!!!!!!! God I love horses like that, so smart and so 'get it'. As you know, they are also not tolerant of idiots either........love'm

I can certainly appreciate a 'packer', but there is nothing like watching a horse put someone in their place :popcorn:

Members online