Does anyone have any suggestions

PennyRose

My 7 1/2 year old american staffordshire terrier had a terrible time with acute pancreatitis.
Has anyone had any experience with diets for pancreatitis?
Sue

Saintgirl

She NEEDS to be on a low fat diet, and I mean mega-low. Dairy fats can be the hardest for your Am staff to cope with. Was their a trigger food that caused the attack? Sometimes a dog can get into a sourse of SUPER high fat goodness that we would typically never let them have which can cause the attack. If this is the case then preventing the trigger or any other like source can prevent future episodes, but if that is not the case, back to the low fat diet. Hopefully the damage wasn't severe enough that she needs to be medicated or supplemented with anything. Your vet should be able to recommend a good diet for you, and it is crucial that you follow the diet to a TEE, this means most treats will be cut from the diet, but it is important to prevent further bouts of pancreatitis to prevent a future attack. Each pancreatitis attack can cause scarring on the pancreas damaging the ability of it to perform properly like the inability to digest food properly or cause diabetes. It is tough, but totally manageable. Good luck!

Luvntzus

How about Timberwolf Organics Black Forest? It has 22% protein and 12% fat. It's their lowest fat formula. My other suggestion would be Canidae Platinum. That one is 18.5% protein and 10% fat. The only thing I don't like is that the low fat foods also seem to have VERY low protein. Maybe you could substitute with lean meat to up the protein percentage? I'd ask your vet for the okay on any food you're considering.

Luvntzus

Oooh, Showpug, Eagle Pack Holistic Senior is perfect! :D I'm going to remember it to suggest the next time someone needs a low fat food. :)

Members online

No members online now.