Help with kibble brands and pricing

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
So Iv decided I just dont have the money right now to figure out whats wrong with the midget, and I KNOW my older bitch does peachy on a fish kibble, so Im going to put them both on a high quality fish based food, with NO chicken and NO chicken fat (I know Kitty cant handle chicken in cooked form oddly, but is fine in raw form)

Im looking at Acana Pacifica and have priced it online and the best I can find is $67, free shipping, for a 29 lb bag
Money is extremely limited so this has made me gulp and stare very hard my wallet.
Does anyone have any ideas of kibbles that are roughly the same high quality, but maybe... a little cheaper?

Saeleofu

I feed Victor Yukon Salmon and my dogs do FANTASTIC on it. I get it for around $42 for a 30 pound bag, which lasts 3-4 weeks for my two dogs.

http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victordogfood/yukon.html

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/victor-grain-free/

It can be hard to find, but it's getting more common. I saerched quickly for an online retailer, and this is the first one I came up with. $50 a bag, I'm not sure what their shipping charges are. http://www.rocketpetz.com/p-356-vic...on-river-salmon-and-sweet-potato-formula.aspx

If you find it locally, it'll probably be in a feed store or *maybe* a small pet specialty store. Smaller, non-chain feed stores may be able to special order it for you.

Airn

I second Victor. I love it and it's really inexpensive, compared to other foods of similar quality.

Definitively advise trying to find it locally. I think they try to avoid online or big retailers. I usually see it in small pet supply stores or 'farm' stores.

I get a 20 or 25 lb bag for about $20.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I feed Victor Yukon Salmon and my dogs do FANTASTIC on it. I get it for around $42 for a 30 pound bag, which lasts 3-4 weeks for my two dogs.

http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victordogfood/yukon.html

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/victor-grain-free/

It can be hard to find, but it's getting more common. I saerched quickly for an online retailer, and this is the first one I came up with. $50 a bag, I'm not sure what their shipping charges are. http://www.rocketpetz.com/p-356-vic...on-river-salmon-and-sweet-potato-formula.aspx

If you find it locally, it'll probably be in a feed store or *maybe* a small pet specialty store. Smaller, non-chain feed stores may be able to special order it for you.
your guys are bigger dogs, yes? how many cups per day, total, are you draining from the bag? if $50 lasts you approx 1 month, Im trying to gauge how long it would last me. one 45-pounder who is plump and needs to stop gaining weight on air *glares*, and a 25-pounder

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
When I had to switch Chloe off of TOTW due to finances (and the fact that she needed to loose weight, so I was trying to find a low calorie, lower fat food), I switched to 4Health Salmon and Potato.

Ingredients:
Salmon, ocean fish meal (a source of fish oil), potatoes, peas, cracked pearled barley, egg product, millet, canola oil, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 25.0% (min.), Crude Fat 14.0% (min.), Crude Fiber 3.0% (max.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% (min.), Glucosamine* 300 mg/kg (min.), Chondroitin Sulfate* 100 mg/kg (min.),

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile.

Caloric Content:
3,500 kcal/kg (327 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
She did really well on it, and it is $36.99 for a 35lb bag. It also stopped her from gaining weight (and start loosing!) which was also my goal.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
When I had to switch Chloe off of TOTW due to finances (and the fact that she needed to loose weight, so I was trying to find a low calorie, lower fat food), I switched to 4Health Salmon and Potato.

She did really well on it, and it is $36.99 for a 35lb bag. It also stopped her from gaining weight (and start loosing!) which was also my goal.
Thanks for the suggestion, Iv never heard of 4health

Not really groovin on Salmon, ocean fish meal (a source of fish oil), potatoes, peas, cracked pearled barley
being in the first 5 ingredients :( I already feel wretched switching them off raw, I feel like Im doing them a disservice putting them on kibble. Dont say its silly, because I already know it is, but it doesnt stop me from feeling guilty about the whole thing. Im trying to stay as to quality as i possibly can, without being Orijen because $85 :yikes:

Saeleofu

Logan is about 68 pounds, and Gavroche is about 52 pounds. I feed a TOTAL of 5 cups per day between the two dogs, give or take a little depending on if they feel chubby or thin when I squish them lol. So...105-140 cups? Probably closer to the 105-115 cup range for a 30 pound bag.

Also, how many cups does vary by kibble size. Usually it's an average size kibble, but recently they had a batch that they accidentally made in teeeeny tiny small-breed-puppy kibbles. I loved that kibble size, I wish it was always that size. There are less cups in a bag when kibble is that small, BUT you feed less (so...maybe 3/4 cups twice a day for Gavroche instead of a cup twice a day) because more kibble fits into a smaller space.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Logan is about 68 pounds, and Gavroche is about 52 pounds. I feed a TOTAL of 5 cups per day between the two dogs, give or take a little depending on if they feel chubby or thin when I squish them lol. So...105-140 cups? Probably closer to the 105-115 cup range for a 30 pound bag.

Also, how many cups does vary by kibble size. Usually it's an average size kibble, but recently they had a batch that they accidentally made in teeeeny tiny small-breed-puppy kibbles. I loved that kibble size, I wish it was always that size. There are less cups in a bag when kibble is that small, BUT you feed less (so...maybe 3/4 cups twice a day for Gavroche instead of a cup twice a day) because more kibble fits into a smaller space.
gotcha. Thanks! Seems I would be feeding about 4c a day total-- according to the directions on the bag that is, which if you are going at 5c a day, you must not be following lol according to IT, you should be feeding 6-7c a day O_O

I went to google shopping and punched in victor and found an ebay listing for that same online retailer, with CHEAPER pricing. on the site it was $50 per bag, with 1 bad being $20 shipping, and 2 bags being $30 shipping total, so $130 for 60 lbs of food, whereas on the ebay ad its $55 free shipping, so 110 for 60 lbs. Odd that theres a disrepency. I think I may go ahead and order Victor, as the ingredient list looks okay and Iv heard good stuff about it

Does anyone know what factories manufacture it? Diamond?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I just wanted to mention, its not odd that she can't handle cooked chicken but can handle it raw. Its not uncommon. (Though, my pets are backwards. LOL)

Saeleofu

gotcha. Thanks! Seems I would be feeding about 4c a day total-- according to the directions on the bag that is, which if you are going at 5c a day, you must not be following lol according to IT, you should be feeding 6-7c a day O_O
I rarely follow the bags. I follow what my dogs feel like and their weight. Usually it's SIGNIFICANTLY less than what the bag says. If your dog is overweight, the amount you need to feed will probably be a lot less than what the bag says (remember to feed for optimal weight, not current weight).

As for manufacturer, it' made by MidAmerica Pet Food http://www.midamericapetfood.com/ and is not a Diamond company. It is manufactured in Texas.

Also, you really might want to look locally. If you find it locally, it's probably a much better price than $55/bag. http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victordogfood/find_dealer.html

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I rarely follow the bags. I follow what my dogs feel like and their weight. Usually it's SIGNIFICANTLY less than what the bag says. If your dog is overweight, the amount you need to feed will probably be a lot less than what the bag says (remember to feed for optimal weight, not current weight).

As for manufacturer, it' made by MidAmerica Pet Food http://www.midamericapetfood.com/ and is not a Diamond company. It is manufactured in Texas.

Also, you really might want to look locally. If you find it locally, it's probably a much better price than $55/bag. http://www.midamericapetfood.com/victordogfood/find_dealer.html
i looked on there, none are near enough that i can get to them easily. i may call those locations anyway and then see if anybody from craigslist can pick me up a bag ......... ? *ponders*

Members online

No members online now.