I am just so mad

Liza

I'm not a breeder, nor do I want to be. I have my own views on breeding dogs. And I don't think that you HAVE to breed purebreeds to be a "responsible" breeder, but I do think that you have to do all necessary health and temperament tests, have waiting lists, know a crapload about breeding, etc etc.

My boyfriend's family has a gorgeous spaniel x poodle mix. They got him from a pet store. It wouldn't have been my choice of place to get a dog from, but I'm not dead set against buying from pet stores just because I wouldn't do it. They're very happy with him and he's a great dog.

But his dad can't be happy with having a great dog. No, he wants to make some cash off of him while he's at it. Some lady with a poodle of some sort approached him one day asking if he'd be interested in breeding his spoodle to her poodle. Nice enough lady apparently - but they're ALL nice enough so that's not saying much.

This puppy is just a little over a year old from memory, not sure how old the female is. Apparently they went and mated them yesterday. My boyfriend was against it. He's not into all of this dog stuff like I am, but he loves his dog and we've talked about it enough for him to understand where I'm coming from when I told him that I am dead set against his dad doing this. His dad won't listen to anyone, didn't listen to the boyfriend when he tried to explain. From what I understand the gist of what his dad said was "This is MY dog and nobody will tell me what to do with him." Like the dog and the puppies are furniture for him to sell!

When I asked the bf where the dad is planning to sell the puppies, hoping that maybe at least they have some guaranteed homes for them or something, I found out that they apparently want to just "sell them to a pet store".

I can't believe this. My boyfriend's dad has become a full blown BYB. I don't know how I can look him in the eye and talk to him anymore. It isn't my place to argue with him about this, the dad already knows my view, I can't change anything. I just don't know how we're going to interact now, knowing that he's cold-heartedly selling puppies to the pet store for a buck, not caring about anything that happens to them.

Their dog, though not neutered, was always good at the dog park (so far, anyway) - doesn't run at other dogs, hump, anything. He did display some humping tendencies toward my spayed dog and it annoyed my dog so much that he doesn't come over to play anymore, but he's never displayed any of this with other dogs. Now that he's "been there, done that", will his behavior change toward other female dogs? Will he likely run to hump other female dogs? Start marking territory? Become more aggressive? As I said I'm not a breeder and Keeda was spayed when she was young, so I have no experience with their behavior in terms of mating and things. What kind of changes can we expect in the dog? I should at least warn the boyfriend. The dad takes him to the park off leash every day, I don't know if he should be cautioned about any sudden behavior changes that could make him more aggressive/hurt someone/get hurt/etc.?

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
The father is right, it is his dog and he can do whatever he likes with it. It sucks, but it is true.
Also, the father has no right to sell the puppies, he should be paid for the covering but he has no rights to the puppies unless the owner of the female agrees to it.

Liza

The father is right, it is his dog and he can do whatever he likes with it. It sucks, but it is true.
Also, the father has no right to sell the puppies, he should be paid for the covering but he has no rights to the puppies unless the owner of the female agrees to it.
I'm not sure what kind of agreement he has with the owner of the female, I believe the lady who owns the female will be selling the puppies to the store as agreed with the dad. I just know he's definitely doing it for the cash he'd get out of it.

I'm not planning on arguing with him about it, I realize that it's his right to do whatever he wants. I just don't know how I can keep respecting him after this.

At this time I'm mostly concerned about the possible change of behavior in the dog. Do I need to warn the bf and/or his dad about possible side effects this first mating would have on their dog's behavior at the park? I don't want the dog or anyone else to get injured. This is the person who didn't want anything to do with the dog and regretted getting him the first several months after they got him, I'm afraid that if his behavior changes suddenly, like if he gets more aggressive or starts whining or going after females, the dad won't be able to deal with it and it might turn out messy for the poor dog.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
most males dont "change" after mating...
though this is the age when the hormones start raging so somethings that could be expected woudl be marking, humping, ect...nothing unusual to a none bred intact dog...

*sigh* unfortunatly not much there can be done about it...

usually the stud owner however gets either a payment, or a puppy from the litter, the females owner keeps the rest to do as they please so he might be quite suprised to find himself a little less on the cash than he expected which might be a nice little wake up call if he was expecting a small fortune...

not to mention they will be lucky to get more than $50-$100 a peice on the pups from a petshop (they pick up purebred puppies from REGISTERED places with "full vet checks" and guarentees, as well as registration papers (even if they are form a crappy reg) for about that price so why pay more for unchecked mixed breed puppies with no paperwork?! there also laws in place that prevent petshops buying puppies form "pet" owners, petshops HAVE to be able to provide the breeders USDA registration number upon inspection...which means if shes not a usda lisenced breeder no petshop that wants to keep its lisence will take these puppies...

i think both your FIL and the females owner are in for a real suprise when the cost of raising a litter and the difficulty of getting them homed (again no LEGAL petshop is goign to take pups from an unregistered breeder as the usda can shut them down and fine them more than most people make in their lives!) they also dont usually take entire litters, its too hard to sell an entire litter and they dont want older dogs costing them money sat in the store....

All you can do is try to avoid or ignore him...
and when he starts complaingin about how little money hes making or how expensive this is or how the petshop wont take the puppies...then you can say "told ya so..."

bubbatd

I don't approve of the whole situation ......but he'd better have a contract .

Liza

FoxyWench, are you in the U.S.? We're in Australia, so not sure if they'll have the same laws here about pet shops buying puppies, but I'll look it up asap. I hope it isn't legal. Unfortunately even if they have problems placing the puppies, the bf's dad isn't the sort to really CARE from the looks of it. He'll just go "Well this one didn't work out, let's try it again with another female" eventually. But I do hope that he realizes that it isn't worth it. He's very money-oriented, though, so the owner of the female and he would have been bound to work out some sort of a money agreement that the'd be happy with. I doubt he'd just be getting a puppy, they probably agreed on half.

Bubbatd, to be honest I don't think he even knows such things exist here.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
That sucks :/ I hate those situations

hopefully it works out for the better and those pups find good homes

Liza

Thanks, Fransheska, me too. What's most heavy on my mind now as well is that he'll keep going and breed more litters.

lizzybeth727

I doubt he'd just be getting a puppy, they probably agreed on half.
I hope they have a more specific agreement than that. For one thing, the owner of the "mom" spends a lot more money on the breeding than the "dad," she'll have to have a whelping box and all those supplies, plus feed her dog extra food throughout pregnancy and nursing, plus feed the puppies when they are weaned.... That's why the males usually just get a stud fee and the females get to sell the puppies. Plus what if something happens in the pregnancy and she ends needing expensive medical attention, does your FIL pay half of that too?

Sounds like a really stinky situation, but unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. Hopefully one time will be enough for him to learn. :rolleyes:

Members online