What horror movies do you consider classic?

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I'm curious. I'm having a discussion about it with my boyfriend and we agree on some, but disagree on some others. I won't post which ones off the bat so I don't color anyone's response! What do you think?

Xandra

The Ring!

OK, more traditional answer, The Exorcist, but that was so unscary it barely even counts IMO.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Night of the Living Dead
Halloween
Psycho
The Shining
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Evil Dead 1&2, and Army of Darkness - Okay not *really* classic horror...but Bruce Campbell!!!!

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Halloween
The Shining
Maybe, Friday The 13th. I don't know if I'd consider this one to be a classic. Though, thats because I saw the newest Friday The 13th, not the original.

I haven't seen many horror movies. Most of the ones that I have seen aren't classicals, & many of them are horrible.

JacksonsMom

I'm not really a big horror movie fan, but I have to say the ones that scream 'classic' to me are

Halloween (the original)
Poltergeist
Friday the 13th (original)
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining

But, for ME, the classic Halloween movies would be Halloweentown and Mom's Got a Date With a Vampire and Don't Look Under the Bed (I literally turn into a little kid during Halloween, LOL)... all Disney Channel originals *I am cool*. Oh and duh HOCUS POCUS. It's not Halloween time until I've watched Hocus Pocus. These are all 'horror' movies... right? Right? Right. :p

milos_mommy

Without reading other's responses, I'd say:

Dracula
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Exorcist

elegy

overdogged
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Halloween
Poltergeist
Children of the Corn

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I'm not really a big horror movie fan, but I have to say the ones that scream 'classic' to me are

Halloween (the original)
Poltergeist
Friday the 13th (original)
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining

But, for ME, the classic Halloween movies would be Halloweentown and Mom's Got a Date With a Vampire and Don't Look Under the Bed (I literally turn into a little kid during Halloween, LOL)... all Disney Channel originals *I am cool*. Oh and duh HOCUS POCUS. It's not Halloween time until I've watched Hocus Pocus. These are all 'horror' movies... right? Right? Right. :p
Oh my gods Halloweentown. Yes. And The Little Vampire I think it's called? The one with that kid from Stuart Little. That ones probably my favorite.

I have nothing else to add.

Classic- Frankenstein, Nosferatu, Night Of The Living Dead, Hills Have Eyes (77), House On Haunted Hill (50 something lol version).

Childhood favs Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, Child's Play, Dolls, Friday The Thirteenth, Evil Dead, House, the list goes on and on lol.

JacksonsMom

Oh my gods Halloweentown. Yes. And The Little Vampire I think it's called? The one with that kid from Stuart Little. That ones probably my favorite.

I have nothing else to add.
YES, Little Vampire.

And I'm pretty sure I know ALL the lines to Halloweentown by now. lol. I've watched it at minimum 2-3x a year since I was 8 years old haha.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Interesting answers from everyone! I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted. The one that we disagreed on for a bit was Psycho - I said it's absolutely a classic, he didn't exactly disagree but said that Hitchcock's other films like The Birds far outshine it. Eventually we came to the agreement that which one is "better" (which is subjective) doesn't affect whether the other is a classic or not. He was also a little iffy on The Exorcist, but again that came down to "just because you think others are better doesn't mean it's not a classic" :p

We didn't come up with Carrie, Alien, Evil Dead, Children of the Corn or House on Haunted Hill which I would say are definitely all classics. The rest were on our list :)

There was a great moment when I was reading off replies and read "Nightmare on Elm Street", to which he says "Oh please, that's not a horror film" which resulted in a bunch of confusion from both of us while I insisted it definitely was, and he said it definitely wasn't... till he said "it's a holiday movie!" and I realized he was thinking of Nightmare Before Christmas :p lol. Especially since a bit earlier we had already agreed Nightmare on Elm Street was definitely a classic horror film.

I really need to re-watch Halloweentown. I haven't seen it since I was a kid!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Evil Dead 1&2, and Army of Darkness - Okay not *really* classic horror...but Bruce Campbell!!!!
Hells yeah, Bruce Campbell as Ash is like ... The bomb, it also doesn't hurt that he is a sexy bad ass too :)

My faves are:
All of George Romero's "dead" movies
The nightmare on elm street movies (except 2, 2 was just ... Awful)
The original chainsaw massacre, and it's original sequel
I really loved the movie "Shutter" with Joshua Jackson

A lot of people loved paranormal activity but I wasn't really too impressed with it

But the SAW and Hostel movies ... Yikes! The hostel movies actually made me nauseous!

Interesting answers from everyone! I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted. The one that we disagreed on for a bit was Psycho - I said it's absolutely a classic, he didn't exactly disagree but said that Hitchcock's other films like The Birds far outshine it. Eventually we came to the agreement that which one is "better" (which is subjective) doesn't affect whether the other is a classic or not. He was also a little iffy on The Exorcist, but again that came down to "just because you think others are better doesn't mean it's not a classic" :p

We didn't come up with Carrie, Alien, Evil Dead, Children of the Corn or House on Haunted Hill which I would say are definitely all classics. The rest were on our list :)

There was a great moment when I was reading off replies and read "Nightmare on Elm Street", to which he says "Oh please, that's not a horror film" which resulted in a bunch of confusion from both of us while I insisted it definitely was, and he said it definitely wasn't... till he said "it's a holiday movie!" and I realized he was thinking of Nightmare Before Christmas :p lol. Especially since a bit earlier we had already agreed Nightmare on Elm Street was definitely a classic horror film.

I really need to re-watch Halloweentown. I haven't seen it since I was a kid!
If Evil Dead 1&2 are horror then so is Elm Street, lol, they got campy afterwards...I also forgot one of my all time FAV childhood horrors...Pumpkinhead, that is classic!

Members online

No members online now.