Agility for Pixie?

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
I have done alot of research on agility and learned that it can be good for older dogs bring out a new life in them. Pixie is 8 or 9 her old owners are leaning more towards 8. She is not overweight but she is'nt skinny but she can run and loves to be active. She is a Saint Bernard/Labrador Retreiver mix who goes for 5 walks a day 4 short and 1 long and doesen tire easily. She also gets on well with other dogs. I have done some research and know of a couple schools close by.
Do you think it is a good idea?

Doberluv

It sounds like she'd love it. I would advise getting her checked over by a vet first and make sure she is in as sound health as she appears. Tell him what you'd like to do and see if he has any recommendations. Then if all looks fine, I'd go for it.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
My mom co-owns an agility club and gets TONS of older dogs in to learn agility, actually one of them went on to National Championships and placed! She also appeared on that show "Top Dogs" and did fairly well. She was 12 when she retired from agility.

Its never too late to teach a dog something :)

If she doesn't tire quickly, this is defiantely a sport for her! It takes lots of energy to do well. In one of my moms classes there is a Newfoundlander that does this and he loves it! he barely fits in the Tire lol no one knows how he gets through it haha But he does fairly well! :)

Tamrick

I'd say as long as her elbows and hips are ok and healthy and she is generally in good shape then it would be a good idea. Even old dogs can learn new tricks and have a lot of fun.

Sounds like she'd love it. I'd also have her elbows and hips checked by a vet so it isn't painful for her. Good luck.

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
Ok well i talked to my mom and when we take Pixie for her shots we plan to get the vets opinion about Pixie doing agility. So thanks everyone for the advice :).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'd watch her carefully in the tunnels, they're usually set fairly low for the smaller dogs. But other than that, she should have fun if nothing else!

Members online