Puppy scared of the great outdoors

Dana1384

I have learned since i have had Stupot that big dogs and little dogs are so different. Well my problem is about a month ago Su got the crap scared about of him by a truck plowing snow, and now everytime we bring him out it acts like everything is out to get him. I'm lucky if i get him 10 feet out the door before he runs for his life back to the door. He won't go pee, poo, play, or even barely walk. Everytime i bring him out on the hour we walk all around my apartment complex for about 20 mins and every little nose he hears scares him and he crys. I have even brought him on long walks away from traffic and odd noises, he is to scared to even think about going to the bathroom. I have him pretty much pad trainned, but i don't want a indoor potty dog, but if i take his pads away he goes on the floor. I have even tried holding him till he really has to go, then bring him outside to go, he is doesn't, but goes right to his pad when i bring him back in .
What should i do? :yikes:

jason_els

If you're crate training you can use the crate. Leave the puppy in it then place it outside in place where the dog can see you doing things. Leave it out progressively longer each day and then leave it out with the door open. At first stay within the puppy's view of the door and then move away from it, talking while you do so he can hear you.

Otherwise I'd suggest just taking him outside and sitting with him as close to your home (a porch, stoop, deck, etc.) as possible. Don't take him anywhere at first, just sit. Once he's OK with that and doesn't need to be on your lap or underfoot to be comfortable then take him on little walks with you holding him. Venture a few feet at first, working-up to places out of view of his front door. Let him see the world and know it's ok. Don't get excited about things or people that go by, don't make a big deal of taking him outside, just let him get used to things going on and see that outdoor life doesn't faze you. Keep him on your lap at first. If he begins to freak just hold him and talk quietly about what he's seeing but don't reward the behavior either. Each day spend a little longer time outdoors and treat/praise lavishly every time he comes outside no matter how much of a fuss he makes. Make going outdoors something he gets treated for so he'll want to do it. If a big truck or loud noise or something that scared him before goes by and he doesn't react, treat again.

Bring a good toy with you when you go outside, like a stuffed kong. Make that the outdoors toy, something he's not allowed to play with inside. You want to make going outdoors fun, not a big deal, and something he'll want to do. Once he's used to the outdoors THEN start on the housebreaking. For right now just let it go. One issue at a time.

Doberluv

What age is your pup? Breed? When and where did you get him? How was he raised up until you got him? Inside a house? Outside in a barn? In other words, what was he exposed to during those first weeks?

What have you done to socialize this pup exactly? When did you start...what age?

What do you do when he is afraid of a noise? How do you react to him? What did you do when the snow plow went by?

jason_els

Later, work-up to the car. Car training is important! You don't want to take him in the car just to go to the vet! He'll hate the car and come to see it as a bad place. Again with the car, bring the outdoor toy and some familiar-smelling blankets. First let him sit and play in the car without it going anywhere. Bring him into the car with it already running so the starting, vibrations, and other car sounds don't scare him. Again, don't take him anywhere at first but after he's comfortable in it and feels it's a second home, bring him to a play park. As with going outdoors, treat him upon going into the car no matter how scared he is. Going into car=yummy treat, good toy, and a warm safe area with familiar things. Once he's fine with the car then drive him around the neighborhood driving gently and turning delicately. If you have a wagon get a rear compartment screen or use one of those U-shaped mats for the back seat. Be sure to flip on the child locks. Make sure he can see and hear you while driving but concentrate on the driving, not mothering him. He needs to learn quickly that he can't bother you when driving. Go to happy places like parks or places your dog is welcomed. Treat when he gets out of the car willingly but always treat on going back in no matter how much of a fuss he makes. He'll figure things out soon enough.

Socialization is very important as a puppy, you want these fears conquered quickly so he can get out and meet people and experience the life you lead so he can enjoy your life with you. Fear is the biggest cause of biting in dogs and a fearful dog is a dangerous dog. Work on these issues seriously and promptly.

Dana1384

Dober Stupot is a little other 4 months old, he is a mini dachshund.
I got him at the beginning of Dec from a breeder in southern Colorado. Well we picked him up in Denver actually. The breeders daughter had him for someone else who didn't show up. When we got him he was around plenty of other wiener dogs (like 4 if I remember right), and I also have a Golden Retriever that he loves. I think he was raised inside and outside from what they told me. They were already working on his housebreaking when I got him. Before the snowplow he liked going outside to play with my other dog, and to go potty, half the time he didn't want to go back in. I started with him the next day after we got him with socializing (people and other dogs), he was about 2 1/2 months. I was bringing him once or twice a week up to the dog park to play with other dogs and see people, and He was a little scared at first, but would finally get out of my lap and go play. I would also bring out more then once a day to play. I tried to bring him on a walk a few days ago away from traffic, but everything that sounded off, looked off, ect , he freaked out, so went home, and he was fine.

When the snow plow went by it scared me a little also because it wasn't plowing when I first saw it, then I turned my back, and it sounded like it hit a car, and it made me jump too, if he would have been a cat he would have been on a head. I usually tell him to go potty and keep walking him around the yard and ignore his cries when we throws a fit. Well a least till he throws himself on the ground, and cries like he is dieing and won't move, then I bring him back in and he goes potty on his pad.

He is ok with our friends when they come over , a little shy at first, then gets over it and goes and plays fetch with them. He hasn't tried to bite anyone, a little yappy at people though. Other dogs freak him out now when they bark except Zoe my golden.

The whole thing just kinda switched his personality. He liked going outside and now he hates it. He will sit in the car though which is strange i guess even when its moving.

Herschel

I don't think this is a "small dog thing". Herschel is 20lbs and our entire agility class on Monday was telling us after class that he's the most confident dog they've ever seen.

If you treat a small dog like they are little and fragile, then they will feel little and fragile. Yes, in some cases small dogs need special attention, but I believe in treating them as much like big dogs as possible.

What have you done to make being outside the most fun thing for your dog?
Do you give her special toys, treats, and dance around like you are having the time of your life? Believe it or not, but your dog knows if you are scared, tense, or nervous. If you want to go back inside, of course your dog won't want to be outside!

Do you carry him when you are outside? If so, stop! He has legs, he can walk/run on his own! Do you carry him up stairs? (For a Doxie puppy, you might want to carry him DOWN the stairs for a little while longer) When you are at the park, do you carry around? If your dog is scared, how do you react? Do you do everything possible to address the fear and make the situation better?

If you change the situation because of your dog's fear, it confirms that there was something to be scared of in the first place. However, if you get your dog to associate something great with the thing that it is scared of, he will see in no time that going outside is fun.

Doberluv

Excellent points from Herschel. Just a little something else...when you associate good things, toys, yummy treats, whatever his favorite things are with being ouside, make sure to give him treats when he is not cowering, but when he's a little bit braver. Try to reinforce the feelings of confidence that he does have, however small they may be now. And yes, try to act normal and unconcerned. Also, I don't think once or twice a week is enough exposure to new people and dogs. I think every day a dog should get out and see something new and be sure it's a pleasant experience. Be careful with dog parks. You don't know all of those dogs and one might come up to your pup and frighten or hurt him which will ruin him. Try to find people with friendly dogs that you trust with your pup. A puppy kindergarten class with a reputable and gentle trainer who uses motivation and reward training methods, not scolding methods would be good for your pup as long as it's not overwhelming him.

Let us know how he comes along. Get him out and about even more, associating everything with as much fun as you can. His critical period for socialzation is about at it's end. Socialization must continue forever, but those first 3 or 4 months are vital to saturate him without freaking him out.

However, If he is terribly uneasy, frightened, freaking out, even in your yard, it is doubtful that getting out into the world to socialize is going to be very beneficial. If he can't get more comfortable in your yard very soon, I would speak to a vet about some kind of sedative. I don't promote drugs, especiall for such a small dog, but in some cases, if a dog can be a little calmer and relaxed, that enables him to soak in experiences and digest them properly and in a healthy way. If he's so terribly and extremely into his fight or flight drive all the time, he can't think. He's on auto pilot. His autonomic nervous system is what is taking over and his thinking brain isn't turned on. Phychological health is every bit as important or more so, IMO, as physical health. So for anyone who is paranoid about using some kind of beta blocker or sedative type thing temporarily, I would say to think again.

I do hope things can be turned around and he can be a well adjusted, brave little soul. Let us know how things go. I bet he's adorable. Any pictures?

Dana1384

I don't carry him outside, i put his lease on and make him walk when we go outside, he doesn't have to walk on stairs. I guess i could talk to my nabors, a few of them have little dogs. He plays ruff with my golden all day long. He is suppose covered with her spit half the day. He liked the dog park. He has a vet appt next week, i will talk to him about classes for this issue.
thanks guys .. I will keep you updated ! heres some pictures

Dana1384

it won't let me add it right, i don't have the paperclip! umm theres a few pictures of him on the water hydrent under the thread who is who, on page 98 i believe

Members online

No members online now.