Wow I hate pet stores that sell puppies!

Madaline

Its really hard they sell puppies in a few pet stores around my area. They sell very quickly, every week pretty much there are new ones in there. I think people find it really hard to resist, I dont know how many times Ive gone in these stores and gone and looked at them and really wanted one, that is what they hope for and that is what happens, people have big hearts and if they are wanting a puppy quite often buy on impulse. They may not go to the pet store to buy a dog, but fall in love with a little face there and buy. I know that is why they sell them, here they are not cheap either usually around $600.00 Canadian and come with first shots and vet check, most of them are cross breeds but some arnt.

bubbatd

To those who have bought and have good stories... more power to you ! I remember as a child , when we went to the " Big" city, I'd always want to see the puppies in a store ... our town didn't have any. Luckily I never talked my mother into buying one !! But, unfortunately, MOST of these poor babies have " issues " ..... had they been from good breeders , they wouldn't be in a pet store. Bless the Izzys in the world !!

bubbatd

PS .... I do think that a mixed breed pup at a low price could be like a rescue..................... but NO PURE BREDS !

Stores over here do the same thing if pups get too old. They drop the price, throw in collars,leads...etc. Molly was 13 weeks old when i got her. The original price was $150 Australian. I saw her then and didn't have the cash for her, food, collar, lead, vet...etc. Saw her the week after and she was a $100. ummed and ahhed, had a hold, fell in love, but the boyfriend said no. Went in a week later again and she was only $50. Convinced the boyfriend that it was fate, lol. Don't know why no one liked her. She was a gorgeous pup and her brother sold very fast. I suppose i was just meant to have her.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
In many cases puppies that don't sell (or are so diseased that vet treatment would be too costly for the pet store) are also dumped at shelters or humane societies. Some are returned to the brokers.

I can only repeat, the saddest thing is that each time a puppy is bought form a pet store, more will take its place, and back at some disgusting puppy mill its mother willbe bred once again to make more puppies to feed the greed of the people who make money this way.

And for every puppy in somewhat reasonable condition sitting out front in a cage or pen on display, there's very likely to be another one in a cage in a back room that's too diseased and in too bad shape to be presented to customers.

Don't give these people your business, even if it is heartwrenching to turn away from that poor little puppy who needs a good home too. Wait until it has been given up to a shelter or rescue, or the whole chain will never end.

amymarley

I would like to know, if anyone has the answer...

I have seen pet stores in malls, yes the pups were purebreeds, and way overpriced. Now I know they are there, mostly because the breeder sold them to the pet stores because they don't make the "standard" or have a slight problem....

This is my question... What happens to these puppies (because I never seen "older dogs") if they don't get sold? Even if the stores throw in a free leash, collar, dog food, drop the price etc....what happens to them? Where do they go?

I posted a thread about 2 weeks ago about a pure breed pit bill with problems, he/she is now at the humane society with a cart, because of back leg defects... this came from a breeder...

To me, if I were a breeder, and a pup came out "wrong," I think that breeder should not throw the pup into the system, but take care and love this pup (ya, right).

I was/am disguted by this breeder. It's like the welfare... "sorry, don't want "it," let the state find a home and feed it, and give medical care. "Let the humane companies find a cart so this poor babe can get around, don't matter, my bitch will be ready again soon."

If you breed (just like if you have a child) and you don't "like" the out come, why do we or the animals in general have to pay for it.

Also, I know nothing of this breeder, and I am not bashing good breeders out there... I just seen and known of some bad things.

But, anyway, what does happen (got a bit of topic) to these mall "puppies" if they are not sold in time?
Amy

Fran27

Read Mordy's post above yours.

Again though, most petstore puppies don't come from breeders but puppy mills. They're just products to them.

bubbatd

When my dog sitter let my female in heat breed with either her son or her father and didn't tell me... it was such a sad decision for me. I didn't dare put these pups on the market .... who knows what the faults could have been. I had the litter taken and PTS. Please don't fault me...it was best for my female and the breed as well as the possible owners.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
bubbatd said:
To those who have bought and have good stories... more power to you ! I remember as a child , when we went to the " Big" city, I'd always want to see the puppies in a store ... our town didn't have any. Luckily I never talked my mother into buying one !! But, unfortunately, MOST of these poor babies have " issues " ..... had they been from good breeders , they wouldn't be in a pet store. Bless the Izzys in the world !!
:) Bless her little soul, she is a beauty but my pain in the butt....But Nalla she is my beauty but a pain in my butt, but I wouldnt have it any other way. I love them both dearly and will work and work some more. Izzy is fast approaching her first birthday March 8 and she will be a yr old. So the first yr is down and will work on yr 2.....

lpollockandrsn said:
I absolutely HATE :mad: to see ignorant people standing around and talking to pet store employees about purchasing the puppies in the pet store! Darn them! I feel terrible for the little puppies there, it isn't their fault but how awful it all is. A vicious cylce from puppy mills, to cheesy pet stores to ignorant people and back again!
They think that because their little tag says what state they come from that they aren't puppy mill puppies! Good God, what reputable breeder in their right mind would ever sell a puppy to a pet store? NONE! Don't people know that by now? Sorry, just venting! Any thoughts are encouraged! :(
I tend to give the potential buyers the benefit of the doubt - it's hard not to be swayed by puppies, after all - but I'm a little weirded out by the employees who smilingly push the puppies on people. Either they've got no clue, or they just don't care. In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it's not a big deal - they're not actually torturing or killing anyone, and most people find themselves linked to suffering and evil in some way, whether by shopping at Walmart or googling something online (******* Chinese), but it's puppies, for goddssakes. They just raided a puppy mill in Pennsylvania (living proudly up to its monicker of 'alabama of the north') and of course, it's all over the news with photos of scrawny, shaking, deformed dogs. How can these employees never happen to catch those little news items?

B33CPE

The majority of pet stores sell puppies that are from puppy mills. Surely sometimes there are puppies in there that have been brought in off the street but i still would never buy a dog from a pet store. My advice is buy a puppy or dog from a shelter, rescue, or a breeder that takes good care of their dogs. Any one who is thinking about buying a pup from a pet store needs to go online and look up pictures of puppy mills and see how the dogs live and how they are treated. It will make you want to puke.

I love petsmart, the ones i've been to always bring in dogs from different rescues and humane societies to adopt out.

B33CPE

animalbiz said:
I would like to know, if anyone has the answer...

I have seen pet stores in malls, yes the pups were purebreeds, and way overpriced. Now I know they are there, mostly because the breeder sold them to the pet stores because they don't make the "standard" or have a slight problem....

This is my question... What happens to these puppies (because I never seen "older dogs") if they don't get sold? Even if the stores throw in a free leash, collar, dog food, drop the price etc....what happens to them? Where do they go?

I posted a thread about 2 weeks ago about a pure breed pit bill with problems, he/she is now at the humane society with a cart, because of back leg defects... this came from a breeder...

To me, if I were a breeder, and a pup came out "wrong," I think that breeder should not throw the pup into the system, but take care and love this pup (ya, right).

I was/am disguted by this breeder. It's like the welfare... "sorry, don't want "it," let the state find a home and feed it, and give medical care. "Let the humane companies find a cart so this poor babe can get around, don't matter, my bitch will be ready again soon."

If you breed (just like if you have a child) and you don't "like" the out come, why do we or the animals in general have to pay for it.

Also, I know nothing of this breeder, and I am not bashing good breeders out there... I just seen and known of some bad things.

But, anyway, what does happen (got a bit of topic) to these mall "puppies" if they are not sold in time?
Amy

I dont know what happens to pups that are not bought from a pet store. But any breeder that will sell to a pet store has NO BUSINESS breeding dogs, to be a breeder you need to take care of all your dogs equally, even if they are born with a defect. I think that most of the time when a pup is born and it isnt "show quality" the breeder will just sell it for a lower price and they will make it clear that you are buying a "pet quality" dog. At least thats what i would do, i would give away a puppy to a loving home for free before i would sell it to a pet store.

Members online

No members online now.