Couple quick generic questions....

TPhalen

Is there an appropriate age to have your dog spade or neutered? I have a 14 week old that I want to eventually have this done...

...and, there is a local Humane something-or-other offering a discounted price of $15 for a cat and $35 for a dog to have them, ummm, snipped. This sound awfully cheap. That's my next question. Can I trust some place offering this inexpensive rate??? I'd hate to talk him in and get back a dog with no tongue or something like that....

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
Yes they can be trusted, at least around here. Our local vets actually donate their time to work these clinics to help keep populations down. Your puppy is old enough. The best time to neuter or spay is before the animal reaches sexual maturity. Not only does this cut the risks for or completely eliminate some health issues, it also makes for a happier, well adjusted pet who is EASIER TO TRAIN. Ask the Humane Society in your area who will be performing the neuter. Meet the person. Ask them questions. Please remember to call ahead so that the person is expecting you. If you are not comfortable entrusting your pet to them, seek a different vet. Also, if your puppy has not seen a vet for vaccinations, parasite control and a wellness exam, you will have to have that done, too. A lot of veterinarians will work out a payment plan. Mine takes "advance" payments and I have payed a lot of altering bills this way.

TPhalen

Ok, cool. Thanks. He has all his vaccinations and stuff...except rabies. He gets that in a couple weeks.

I will call and make that appointment today....thanks again!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
National Spay day is this month..some places are doing it for free..not sure of the date, but I don't think it has happened yet.

avenlee

I think the answer to your question is you should get "snips" before sexual maturity, however, your vet will determine at what age it should be done. Meaning you can have a 4 month old puppy, however, he/she may not weigh enough or be in good shape to have it done. On the otherhand your 14 wk old may be. I'd check with your vet to get the answer.

I usually have my dogs done around 4 mths - 6 mths.

Members online

No members online now.