Update on Oscar, the great dane :) (with pics)

nicco

Wolfpack
He's recovering so well. He is more stable on his feet and his elbow swelling is recovering so well...it's smaller. But we still can't figure out how to socialize him more...he's still afraid of people..everytime someone is passing near us..he starts growling and barking...and he wants to go home...I guess we need to be more patiente with him....
What do you think we should do more..to socialize him? When we take him out along with Pepa he is more confidente...when we take only him out..he doesn't want to walk very far...
Thanks for reading
Kiss Kiss
Nicco

Here are some pics
Enjoy :D

I'd keep taking him out with Pepa for now, Nicco, and not make too much fuss about it. Just treat it like it's a normal, everyday thing (which it is). Don't reinforce his fears by being TOO obviously concerned. A gentle pat on the head, or your hand on his shoulder, a quiet word, and keep walking. Add a little more time ever few days and he will probably start to get more confident.

Anything that builds his self-confidence will help, too, like a quick little obedience drill with plenty of praise. :)

I am so glad to see you with a Dane in your life again, and I know Amira is smiling :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
Renee's advice sounds right.

I must say that Oscar is so handsome and adorable!

bubbatd

His sad eyes tell me he just needs alot of TLC. Renee ( again ) is right on the button . Soon we'll see a happy face and smile . He's so sweet !

Danes mature very slowly - both physically AND mentally.

Here is a wonderful article on socializing your puppy

http://www.tokensmane.com/socializing_your_puppy/

Whatever you do, don't coddle him. Don't reinforce his fear, it will create huge problems in the future.

I'd also recommend removing the choker and going with a regular nylon collar.

Is he in obedience classes? Those are wonderful for puppies - socialization, bonding, and learning.

Good luck, he's absolutely adorable.

Members online