Chinese Crested

Paige

Let it be
What are these little loves like? Personality? Needs? Exercise? History? Enlighten me Chazzers.

rbyw

I shared two with a room-mate.
We had a hairy hairless and a powder-puff. They were both adorable and loved attention. They always wanted to curl up in your lap, our HHL more than our PP. They were playful, especially outside but needed little exercise. We took them out for 5 mins in the morning and ½ an hour in the evening and they didn’t seem to want more. At the weekends we used to take them on long walks to the beach and they enjoyed it but liked to stop and play in the mud or the sea a lot, after this they needed a bath because of sensitive skin.
They were great with other animals, the only problem we had was that they didn't like being left alone. They were alright together, but try to leave on at the house and you would hear a lot of howling.
Dental, skin and footcare were sometimes a pain, especially with HHL. They have lots of teeth issues which can be maintained with brushing. Skincare, he needed moisturiser and sun lotion and daily washes. He also suffered from acne at one point because of poor quality food too.
Our PP was much easier to care for and we shaved her to about an inch so it was easier to maintain.

A very short history: Chinese Crested Dog History

Hope it helps... they were great dogs and I am considering getting another in the future.

MicksMom

The ones I've known have been very cuddley. They actually almost melt into me when they sit in my lap. My understanding is they are kind of velcroie as a breed.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
as a generality:

they are VERY people orientated, they love their people, some bond very closly with one person other will bond with alot.
they are velcro dogs and do have a tendency towards seperation anxiety.

they are sighthoundish...they can be very aloof with strangers, and generally warey with strangers (even when well socilized)
they also tend to be sighthoundish in training methods, you will absolutly see them deciding wether or not its worth it to do as your asking...

they are active, ive met some "lazy" cresteds but for the most part the breed LOVES to run. and theres nothing more beautiful than seeing them open up and just run. my 2 will run for hours if youll let them. they will also walk for miles...
being small however they can get by with minimal outside excersize, they CAN get enough excersize running round in the house/garden, but a little extra goes along way.

they are clowns...jasper does things constantly that just make me laugh, he likes to lick the fishtank and chase the fish, or he'll talk to you, he likes ot sing along too...
if im sat on my laptop and he wants to snuggle he will shove his head under my arm untill i lift it then drape himself across the keyboard so ill snuggle him. Ruby is less in your face about it usually but when she REALY wants attention she will absolulty come over and bop you with her paw then roll over for belly rubs.

they dont love, they NEED attention, this is not a breed you want to get into if you dont enjoy spending all your time with them, i take a shower they like to pop their heads round the curtain every so often to make sure im still in there, leave the room they both get antsy ect...
as i type jasper is sat on my shoulder...this is a constant with them, they adroe their people and nothing in life is complete if there not with you...

this is NOT a breed to get if you dont like to groom.
hairless require weekly bathing, skin care, they get black heads and to keep them looking good most have some degree of body hair that is usually shaved off...
they require sunscreen in the summer as they WILL burn, and require clothing in the winter, its not a case of "pretty clothes" its a case of if you dont they WILL get cold.
i know cresties in florida that still need clothing in the winter, hairless adapt to thier "normal" and jasper is comfortable nekkid in the summer here in ct...but in the fall he will bring his jammies to me.

the powderpuff requires daily combing, regular (eveyr 2 weeks) bathing with conditioner...they dont get the black heads like the hiarless but they needs just as much attention, light powderpuffs will still burn in the sun and their hair isnt as insulating as many breeds so even though theyve got what looks like a big fluffy thick coat they often still need a little extra layering in the winter.
puff hair MATS like crazy.
many puff owners do a pony or puppycut on thier puffs too which while its easier on the combing, they need shaving frequently as their coat grows pretty quick.

they tend to be prone to food alergies, particularly corn and beats, they are also usually alergic to lanolin (found in sheep wool)

their nails grow fast.
the hairless is also prone to loosing their teeth, they are a "primitive" breed with a primitive mouth meaning the teeth shallow root (and are usually perminently sharper and more tusk like than most dogs teeth, most hairless teeth perminently have a "sharpend" "pointy" or "puppy" look...

watch for eye and knee issues, but otherwise there a pretty good healthed breed...

BUT...if you think you want a hairless, look at pictures of them when there older, they get wrinkles, liverspots, loose their teeth ect...if you dont love them when they look older, dont get one as most go that way lol.
also remember the dogs on things like the ugly dog contest are usually badly bred or rescue/abuse cases so there not all nessicarily gonna look that bad...

my dad still calls them gremlins.

also a warning...
they are addictive!

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
Some good information is already here.

They are velco dogs. Very in-tune with their people and LOVE attention. Mine will follow me from room to room.

They are adaptable, but they can be very vocal. Not typical barking either, but yodels, shrieks, and grumbles.

They are quirky, but very entertaining.

Millers are really starting to poorly breed them, so you have to check into breeders. Rescues are a wonderful place to look for them as well (River is a rescue).

Grooming is rather high, and gets higher depending on how hairy your hairless dog is :-D. I love the way they look freshly groomed and smelling fantastic.

They really are wonderful little dogs. Let me know if you are interested in other web resources about them.

LilahRoot

Some good information is already here.

They are velco dogs. Very in-tune with their people and LOVE attention. Mine will follow me from room to room.

They are adaptable, but they can be very vocal. Not typical barking either, but yodels, shrieks, and grumbles.

They are quirky, but very entertaining.

Millers are really starting to poorly breed them, so you have to check into breeders. Rescues are a wonderful place to look for them as well (River is a rescue).

Grooming is rather high, and gets higher depending on how hairy your hairless dog is :-D. I love the way they look freshly groomed and smelling fantastic.

They really are wonderful little dogs. Let me know if you are interested in other web resources about them.
I am.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Ok so I have a question about the really hairless hairless. I know they need a lot of skin care, would it be feasible to bathe them everyday like a human does in a shower with gentle shampoo and a good skin cleanser/moisturizer?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
bathing every day tends to agrivate ths skin...
generally a once a week bath with a mild shampoo, clense with a yoghurt honey and moisturize is enough...

some dogs are more prone to balck heads than others, and some are seasonal, right now jasper is all black headed down his back, its because the air is dry and its cold so hers in his pjs, bathing more actually caused him to break out, so now he gets a bath every 2 weeks and every other day i whipe him down with an stringent to help pull out the dirt in the pours, hes looking better already but i know ill be battling with the spotties untill spring comes and the moisture returns to the air.

its realy not an incredible amount of work to look after their skin...some do have sucess bathing daily but i dont see the point as it can be drying on the skin and some of those oils are needed...
all in all a bath takes no time, and they dry in even less, you just need to make sure they get plenty of good moisturizer on that skin, use a mild astringent as nessicary and protect form the sun :p

ruby set my heart on fire for the breed and jasper sealed my fate, i cant imagine being without my nekkid (and not so nekkid) dogs!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I love the look and personality I see in your crew Foxy! I was just wondering because I bet it would be easy to get a dog to stand with you in the shower on mornings they need a bath. My Izzy already hops in the shower whenever I leave the bathroom door open!

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
Sorry, I overlooked your request Lilahroot, I'll get some links over to you this afternoon.

I do know some crestie owners who have dogs who follow them into the shower every day. I would only scrub them once a week, but the heat/steam from the shower doesn't hurt them. Make sure to moisterize afterward though.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i too know crestie folks who shower with them...
im sure the steam itself woudl do the skin good, mabe a steam/rinse and moisturize and then once weekly or biweekly full bathtime.

they are an awesome breed, for the right person. ive never met a breed with sure a varience in personalities, oen crestie can be bouncing off the wall another can be the calmest dog in the universe, they are however ALL little clowsna dn do the oddest things just to amuse themselves (and in tern you) rubies new amusment is making toys squeek without biting them, shes realized that if she presses them just right with her paw, it squeeks, so shell pounce on it, then you see the excitment in her face when it squeeks and she jumps back and looks at it and then wags her tail backs up again and repeats...then shell look at me like "look what i can do!"
they can be incredibly stubborn, and very aloof with strangers, these are both very normal for the breed and while socilization is important, its not unusual for cresties to take a while to warm up to new people even if theyve been heavily socilized...all the while others love everyone and make excelent therapy dogs.

they are not like "dogs" though, instead i akin them more to cats or foxes...they have their own way of doing things and will often ignore you if they dont think its worth their time which can make training difficult, they want attention when they want attention (which is with most cresties FREQUENTLY lol)
and there constantly puzzling, this is one of those breeds that will elarn to open doors, teach YOU how to respond to them and youll love them for it.
ruby has lernt how to bait things this winter, shes started picking up peanuts out of the bird mix and places them in a pile at the base of the tree beside the swing, then she wull lay quietly under the swing (can tbe seen from above) and wait for a squirrel (they still havent learnt) to come down the tree...as soon as there close enough shes right after them...and often straight up the tree..
diggin is her other favorite passtime, they dig hard and fast for little dogs lol.

ive looked into many dogs eyes and seen the cogs working, but the cresties...theres something more there...
i think there actually aliens come down to observe and entertain us :p

maybe532

Lucy isn't a crested but I just put her in the shower with me when it is time for her bath. I do it for Koda too. Lucy is better, she knows when to stand under the water to get rinsed but she is also more used to it than Koda is. Way easier and I can shower after so I don't smell like wet dog.

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
Good post, Foxy, I agree.

Even River and Chloe have very different personalities. River is a much more mellow dog.

Mine won't even dig with a sandbox in the yard with goodies hidden in it. Go figure. lol

Members online

No members online now.