Help, puppy vaccines

corgi_love

I have some people on another forum "confused" about vaccines and the saftey of their puppy-

The almost 10 week old pup has been all over the places- parks, parties, get togethers, ect. He has maybe one round of vaccines, depending on if the breeder gave them- she hasn't gotten back to me on that.

Anyway, she's concerned about her puppies fearfulness(go figure?) and wants to bring him to a training class..

So when I state that it's not safe for a puppy to be out I'm "causing problems", lol.

Any quotes, articles I can send about being vaccine-puppy-safe, what steps to be taken to keep your un-vaccinated puppy safe?

Thanks in advance!

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
My 10 week old puppies always went everywhere with me -- parks, training clubs and classes, boarding kennels where I worked. Never had a problem.

When I worked at one kennel, the owner was a breeder. She'd have her litters come over to the kennel starting at about 6-8 weeks.

My take on it is that if the dam is healthy and has good immunity and the pups have been kept healthy and are current on vaccines for their age, they should be OK.

antipunt1

I remember this being brought up in the forum in a past thread ^_^
and the unofficial verdict seemed to be that this was actually a somewhat controversial issue with arguments on both sides. It basically boils down to whether or not you want to 'take a chance' I think?

Personally I dont let pups go until 2 sets are done of a 5 way ( no lepto or corona).
Then they can at least let the dogs out in public.
But I still warn them off doggie parks and generic pet stores where they see poop and urine till the 3rd set.

Law states u can sell at 7 or 8 wks _ i feel for 2 reasons one being immunty that 9-11 wks is better for the puppy.

elegy

overdogged
steve is out and about with me all the time too. i wouldn't take him to a dog park, but i take him regularly to the small higher end mom-n-pop petstore to play with the owner's puppy, i took him to my training club, i take him out walking. to me, missing that socialization period is scarier than the limited potential for him to get sick despite vaccines.

pups should meet 100 people of all shapes and sizes and colors and ages by 12 weeks of age. it's awfully hard to do that if you don't take them anywhere.

I find in many breeds that dog to dog is a issue . That if more of them stayed with mom and get rolled and taugth respect they would know how to approuch strange dogs.

And I have a breed that is naturally distrustfull of strangers and yet if they dont meet that many people by 12 wks they still do find in tests and in life.
But if they are ripped from mom at 7 wks many would challenge or bite out of fear other dogs... IF im happy with the humans approuching the pups are and all should be out before they go to new homes. But in country life meeting 100 people is pretty darn hard.

Health and temperament should be taken care of by the breeder first.
But in adoptions cases it is left up to the owner to make up their mind.

Members online