update on neighbors sick puppy

I posted a couple weeks ago about a neighbors sick puppy. I can't find the thread now. This puppy was bulldozer's littermate. He became ill and no one knew what it was. After some tests the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. He gave him some fluids and some meds and he purked up. He was back to his old self again.

I went away for 2 & 1/2 weeks and just returned a couple days ago. I went to go see how he was doing and learned he had passed away. They said he had runny and bloody stool and he was vomitting badly. He was eating ok though. Again it was afterhours when this began and could not get through to the vet. By the next morning he had died. From the symptoms it sounded like he might have had parvo. His sister however was fine. She was running around like a lively little puppy. Nothing wrong with her.

They took her out to let her potty the next night and she disapeared. They looked all night for her and couldn't find her. She was very close with her brother and everyone thought she was probably looking for him. The hext morning they found her. She was curled up in a hole and she also sadly passed away. So they lost both puppies in a matter of 1 day. One ill the other perfectly fine. After the male came down sick and was vetted they were both vaccinated.

Today I was over there and they found some baby copperheads in the yard. We think the female might have been bitten and killed. We are still not sure about what killed the male pup. He was sick with something though. Hopefully the vet can figure it out. They couldn't examine her as she was covered in Fire ants when they found her. So they coudn't really look for bite marks.

The family is devastated. I feel so bad for them to lost both puppies in a day. The kids are so upset! One of those pups was staying with the family to be the family pet. The other pup, they were trying to find a home for but decided they would keep her if one was not found. I came home and found all this out and it breaks my heart too. I feel so bad for the kids!

bubbatd

That is too sad !!!! If it was parvo , all around should be notified . Were they from a breeder ?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Such a hard way to go. Sorry little puppies, that is so so sad.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
They said he had runny and bloody stool and he was vomitting badly.
Which could very easily be a symptom of poisoning. As I recall, I thought the first instance sounded like poisoning as well. I don't know what the symptoms would be of a copperhead bite, but I don't think that's it - I think the bite mark would have been noticeable.

Hugs to all, very sad.

Which could very easily be a symptom of poisoning. As I recall, I thought the first instance sounded like poisoning as well. I don't know what the symptoms would be of a copperhead bite, but I don't think that's it - I think the bite mark would have been noticeable.

Hugs to all, very sad.
At first we thought it was poisoning. The vet could not find anything wrong with him though. Whatever it was the first time he got better. A few weeks later he got sick again with different symptoms. So whatever he had the 2nd time, wasn't the same as the first. They are waiting for a vet report to come to see if they can find out what happened to him for him to die. Hoping it will bring the family some answers to their questions. Plus they have 2 other dogs both 2 years old and in excellent health. So it's puzzling.

Members online

No members online now.