Lost fang tooth?

Labyrinth

My puppy is about four and a half months old now. She's been teething, and I've picked up several of her smaller teeth over the last couple of weeks. Tonight, she lost one of her fangs. I'm sure there is a proper name for them, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Is she supposed to lose those and grow adult versions of them? I don't remember my other dog ever losing those before and it kind of freaked me out. There was some blood and she doesn't want me to look at her gums right now but she's otherwise acting fine.

adojrts

Yes all the baby teeth are replaced by adult teeth, try not to play tug with your pup at this time as it will pull out the baby teeth before they are ready to come out.

Labyrinth

She just let me take a look, and she definitely has a tooth coming in right behind where the other one fell out. I haven't been playing tug with her, but she does get in tug wars over toys with the other dog. Feeling much calmer now, thanks :)

R

RedyreRottweilers

yes, puppies lose all their first teeth. Yours is at the classic age for the canines to fall out.

And I will politely disagree about the playing tug games. :D We play tug, and hand out all kinds of good meaty bones to chew on around here to help the puppy teeth loosen and come out. Sometimes if a pup is showing teething discomfort I will give frozen bones or meat to chew on.

Your pup should have all her adult teeth by about 6 months old.

:D

Labyrinth

I was thinking they were called canine teeth.. But was thinking, well it's a dog... So aren't they all canine teeth? :p

She's been randomly dropping teeth around the house lately, but so far it had just been the little ones so seeing that huge tooth after she had been playing with the older dog really panicked me. We do have a nylabone, kong, and a flavored ball for teething pups that she loves to gnaw on.

Thanks for the reassurances.. I haven't had a puppy in 6 years so I nearly lost it when I saw her spit that big tooth out :yikes:

Members online

No members online now.