Worms!

elvicito

My 11-month old puppy had flat, white worms in his stool this morning. In addition to totally grossing me out, it scared me because I have no idea what kind of worms these are, whether they indicate something serious or if they are contagious to humans! He's on heartworm medication and Advantage for fleas. When he was fix at 6 months, he was dewormed, but hasn't had any other medication since.

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject or give me an idea of how serious this could be? I am going to make an appointmnet with a vet this afternoon -- what can I expect?

~JE

Last edited:

showpug

Tapeworms. They get tapeworms from ingesting flea eggs. What type of flea control is your dog on? You can purchase Tradewinds dewormer over the counter and it will get rid of the worms. I worked in a vet clinic for 5 years and it's the exact same medication we used to treat tapes...

Julie

I am back again.
elvicito said:
My 11-month old puppy had flat, white worms in his stool this morning. In addition to totally grossing me out, it scared me because I have no idea what kind of worms these are, whether they indicate something serious or if they are contagious to humans! He's on heartworm medication and Advantage for fleas. When he was fix at 6 months, he was dewormed, but hasn't had any other medication since.

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject or give me an idea of how serious this could be? I am going to make an appointmnet with a vet this afternoon -- what can I expect?

~JE
Sounds like tapeworms. When they are fresh the segments are short flat white, and can have a wave like motion.
Once they dry out they look like grains of rice.

The good news is one dose of praziquantel should kill them all.
Tapeworms come from infected fleas, so it is important to be flea free.
Or your dog will likely become reinfected.

Make sure you tell the vet you saw tapeworm segments, cause most broad wormers will not kill them.
And get some Frontline, for any fleas that might be hiding. :D

Members online

No members online now.