Rafeiro do Alentejo(Portuguese Sheepdog)

Portuguese Sheepdog
The Rafeiro do Alentejo is known also as Portuguese Sheepdog or Portuguese Mastiff. The Rafeiro is a large dog, with males weighing around 110 pounds (50 kg) and females, 90 pounds (41 kg).

Appearance
Description: Head: Bear like, short muzzle. Eyes: Dark. Ears: Hanging. tapered. Nose: Black and self-colored according to coat. Bite: Scissor or level. Neck: Short. Top-line: Level. Chest: Thick. Body: Rectangular, well muscled, strong bone. Legs: Forelegs are long, strong, muscular. Hind legs are strong, hocks are moderately bent. Feet: Oval. Tail: Long, curved at end. Movement: Swift and very agile, with flowing gait. Temperament: High-spirited, yet very lovable.

Temperament
They are not the dogs for beginners. They mature slowly, are very independent, and often do not respond to traditional concepts of dog obedience. On the other hand, they are extremely territorial and will protect the sheep, households, and families they feel were placed under their protection. Rafeiro do Alentejo are guard dogs without herding qualities. They are not aggressive but protective; they get along quite well with children.

History
The dogs are descendents of Tibetan Mastiffs, believed to be the oldest breed of dogs. They are closely related to Anatolian Mastiffs, known also as Anatolian Shepherd Dogs. Rafeiro do Alentejo have been used, for centuaries, to move sheep, during winter, from mountains in northern Portugal to the plateau of Alentejo and back to the mountain. Gradually they adjusted to living in Alentejo province. The breed was threatened with extinction but survived largely due to an organized effort by a few dedicated people.

At present there are very few registered and recognized breeders but the number of dogs is steadily increasing. The breed is recognized by the Continental Kennel Club and, recently, the Rafeiro do Alentejo were admitted to the Foundation Stock Service of the American Kennel Club.

http://www.mypets.net.au/flex/portuguese_sheepdog/455/1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rafeiro_male.jpg

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
what is it that you are looking for? Seems like your post was of an educational nature re portuguese sheepdogs. I found it interesting, but have nothing to add.

hide98

Old English Lover
^^^Ditto, I found it informative, and I think they're cute, but you didn't leave anything to discuss.

Sorry about that. It was for educational purposes. The breed can reach a height of 30 inches at the shoulder. Would you buy this breed if it was available in the US ? Why or Why not?

hide98

Old English Lover
If I could I might, but I would have to research this breed more. Plus, with my current living conditions, I don't think it would be good for a breed this large and active.

Members online

No members online now.