Some advice needed!

Hi everyone!
I introduced my dog to the kids and it's been a royal nightmare. The 1 year old has been fine with Jazz,but the 3 year old is another story. Sometimes he's a total angel, and sometimes he's a complete hellion!

My nephew is extremely agressive with Jazzmine. I don't know what it will take for my sister to take some initiative and stop it. She simply tells me to ignore him when he's hitting her. I told her that I will not tolerate that type of behavior. I do not NEED my dog becoming very agressive and awful with children. I want her to be tolerant of them.

I live in my own apartment now so he doesn't see her very often, but I'm very worried about this behavior affecting Jazzmine in the long run. I try to do what I can to explain to him why he shouldn't hit or kick her, but he doesn't listen. He just does it more. It's so frustrating.

Please give me some suggestions.. or am I just to have Jazzmine separated from him all of the time? I would really hate to do that..

I don't understand this at all!

-Jade

Who ever is in charge of that kid needs to get ahold of h im and make h im stop. That is ridiculous behavior, and must be stopped. Tell her that he can not come over if he is going to do that. He will make that dog aggressive, or fearful which is worse. A 3 year old is old enough to k now better. Don't put up with it. I have 4r daughters, so I can be tough on the kids. My kids never would do that to an animal, because they know better.

otch1

Important to impress upon your sister the fact that she needs to teach her son appropriate behavior with animals. At 3 yrs of age, the best she can do is stop the physical contact immediatley. The dog needs to see the adults correcting the child or Jazzmine will take it upon herself to do this someday. If the 3 yr old were to come across a less tolerant dog in someone elses home, a store, or the park, this behavior could result in him receiving a bite to the face and trip to the hospital. Best to keep the chld and Jazzmine seperated until your sister understands this. Better safe than sorry.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i agree!
why is anyone ALLOWING her to be mean to the dog? kids need watched around dogs all the time until they are older and responsible. what happens when the dog has had enough and bites her!

skyeboxer

You are jazzmine's alpha - her leader and protector. If your sister won't stop the nephew from hitting Jazz, then YOU have too. Or he doesn't get near the dog, at all.

It seems extremely insensitive of your sister to tell you to ignore her son beating up your dog. As Otch1 said, if that kid doesn't learn some respect round dogs soon, he'll pay for it with a trip to the hospital one day. And whatever poor dog was unfortunate enough to retaliate may be taking a one way trip to the gas chamber.

The same goes or your own 3 year old. He has to play nice with Jazz or he doesn't play with her at all.

I'll try to talk to my sister about it. I just don't want to insult her, but I know it's a serious issue and it has to be fixed right away. It isn't something we can just "ignore" you know? I understand that I have a duty to protect Jazzmine from this type of thing.

I've noticed she's become very edgy and barks at everyone and everything. I am trying to find a training class that I can go to on Saturday so I can correct these issues, but it's a little bit difficult. I'm sure there are a few training centers around my area though.

Thanks for the advice.. It is appreciated.. I am trying to do everything the right away, but mistakes will be made. I just know that I can't let it go though.

bubbatd

This works both ways ... puppy and child HAVE to learn . Puppy's bite , if the receiver doesn't understand then separate ! No puppy should be hit or kicked !

showpug

I don't allow my nephews around my pugs if they can't be watched like a hawk. Most of the time when they are over, my dogs are crated and behind a baby gate so my nephews can't get to them. It's my top priority to make sure my dogs are treated kindly. My dogs are not biters even when pushed so they are easily taken advantage of by little kids. Pugs can take a lot of abuse and when it gets to be too much they just try to walk away. I would never let any child, even my own, treat one of my dogs badly.

Doberluv

:yikes: I wouldn't tolerate that for one second!!! You have to take control of this situation. It's your apartment, your dog. You don't have to allow this. Like the others said, this will make your dog aggressive and/or fearful. It will ruin her! Keep your dog away from this undisciplined child.

Three years old is definitely plenty old enough to know how to act around a dog. I had puppies when my first child was one and a half an she understood how to be careful. I told her to be careful not to step on his tail when he was lying down and she bent down and side stepped one step at a time all the way around him till she could bend down and pat him. She petted him with the flat of her hand ever so gently. She really carried my warning to the extreme. One and a half years old. Both my kids were supervised and taught how to treat animals. They wouldn't have kicked or hurt an animal anyhow. They learned by example. So, I wonder what is causing this child to act this way. But, it's none of my business I guess. I just am concerned with you and your dog right now.

I just can't understand why someone wouldn't teach their child how to behave around animals. That's flat out dangerous, irresponsible and unfair to others and their pets.

Don't worry about insulting her. Stand up for yourself and your dog. I'd tell her that if she can't keep her child under control, don't bring him to your home or around your puppy. Tell her you're not going to risk the probable outcome, which is for your dog to end up euthanized one day and her kid with his face bitten off. If he does that to an adult dog with an average tolerance level, that's exactly what will happen.

Last edited:
Yes, I do believe that your dog must be separated. Don't allow any child/person near your dog who is not kind and gentle. Put your dog in a crate or in a bedroom and close the door. Your nephew will learn that he cannot play, if he cannot play nice. This goes for all children.

It's not mean to separate your dog. It is humane to protect her. There's no one else who will protect her from bad things in this world. If she continues to be exposed to violence, she will react with violence and then you'll have a bigger problem on your hands.

Take care of your baby,

JFrick

I understand you don't want to insult your sister, but she's insulting you and your dog and your home by allowing her child to behave that way.
I agree. I was gonna say the same thing until I read your post......

Members online