The dog musing/vent thread

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
All signed up for an agility trial this weekend!
This will be Rigby's second ever trial. So I've rented the facility out for half an hour tomorrow afternoon so I can familiarize her with the equipment again as it has been a while.
I know she's not likely to ever be a great agility dog due to her excessive fear of the teeter (2 years of work with her and still hit or miss). But I'd love to see her get up there in Jumpers.

I also get to work on some contacts with Cobain so that's great as well. It's been WAY TOO LONG since we last trialed! It's great to get back on the fields.

Oh, and we went for an hour and a half hike this morning to a waterfall.

Cobain is sitting here whining because apparently that wasn't enough exercise for him.

Last edited:

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Saw neighbordog on a walk and decided to introduce Roxie and neighbordog. Roxie was being a dominant jerk. Luckily neighbordog is nice and was submissive, but wtf Roxie. WTF is wrong with you. This dog is actually nice, and you have to go and be an asshole.

Ugh. Dogs, sometimes.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Ever see a dog that just like, catches your eye? I don't NEED anymore dogs perhaps ever, but this one... Something about her. But I also said I don't want any more adults, only puppies. So there :p

All signed up for an agility trial this weekend!
This will be Rigby's second ever trial. So I've rented the facility out for half an hour tomorrow afternoon so I can familiarize her with the equipment again as it has been a while.
I know she's not likely to ever be a great agility dog due to her excessive fear of the teeter (2 years of work with her and still hit or miss). But I'd love to see her get up there in Jumpers.

I also get to work on some contacts with Cobain so that's great as well. It's been WAY TOO LONG since we last trialed! It's great to get back on the fields.

Oh, and we went for an hour and a half hike this morning to a waterfall.

Cobain is sitting here whining because apparently that wasn't enough exercise for him.
Yay! Have fun at the trial! And that waterfall is so pretty! Wish we had something like that around here.

Ummmm... Okay. Because Aussie is the first breed to come to mind when thinking about dogs who this would be suitable for...
Uhhh yeah there are plenty of other small breeds actually under 30lbs they could have chosen from :p

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Ever see a dog that just like, catches your eye? I don't NEED anymore dogs perhaps ever, but this one... Something about her. But I also said I don't want any more adults, only puppies. So there :p

Yay! Have fun at the trial! And that waterfall is so pretty! Wish we had something like that around here.
That was how I ended up with Rigby lol. It was just "This is my dog, need to go get her now"

And thanks! :D
Where I live right now is apparently called the "Waterfall Capital of the World" with something like over 30 waterfalls in the area. That one is just the closest lol

Brattina88

Ohmygosh this. Yes. :lol-sign:

So, there's like two litters on the ground that I would be soooo interested in. Luckily, (?) they're males and I have my heart set on a female.

So then last night I was "forgetting" why I want a female? :rofl1:

Holding out for next year - I know in my head is a better idea all around, but it's hard :eek: because WANT. lol

Last edited:

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
That was how I ended up with Rigby lol. It was just "This is my dog, need to go get her now"

And thanks! :D
Where I live right now is apparently called the "Waterfall Capital of the World" with something like over 30 waterfalls in the area. That one is just the closest lol
I just like can't get her out of my head! Totally not what I need, and not the type of dog I'm usually in to, but I can't help it. But I don't have the extra cash nor do I have the desire for my DH to divorce me anytime soon :p

Sounds like a beautiful place to live!!!

Ohmygosh this. Yes. : lol-sign:

So, there's like two litters on the ground that I would be soooo interested in. Luckily, (?) they're males and I have my heart set on a female.

So then last night I was "forgetting" why I want a female? :rofl1:

Holding out for next year - I know in my head is a better idea all around, but it's hard :eek: because WANT. lol
HAHAHA that's how I ended up with Jari. I was dead-set on a female, but then with only two males I decided a male would be perfect. Obviously I'm happy with him but sometimes I regret my decision (mainly just because of Pen). Really I'm just glad this dog is an adult because I really do only want puppies from here on out. BUT STILL.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

Ummmm... Okay. Because Aussie is the first breed to come to mind when thinking about dogs who this would be suitable for...
I thought that was Merlin. :p

Mia is driving me nuts. She can't exercise outside at all. And barely inside. It's been 100 out lately. Even in the mornings it's hot.

Last night she WOULD NOT SLEEP. She kept running up and down the bed rolling and rubbing all over me and making wookie noises. You know at 3 am.

I feel bad but I don't know what to do? We've played ball but she can't play long. We've given her lots of chews. We've given her puzzles.... I dunno. I feel like a lousy owner.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie

Mia is driving me nuts. She can't exercise outside at all. And barely inside. It's been 100 out lately. Even in the mornings it's hot.

Last night she WOULD NOT SLEEP. She kept running up and down the bed rolling and rubbing all over me and making wookie noises. You know at 3 am.

I feel bad but I don't know what to do? We've played ball but she can't play long. We've given her lots of chews. We've given her puzzles.... I dunno. I feel like a lousy owner.
You're far from a lousy owner - it's just a really cr*p situation. :( I feel for you.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks. It just sucks because I feel like I can't give her what she needs. :( Her mind is still so busy but her body just can't. I am hoping it gets better come the fall.

Elrohwen

Poor Mia :( I think she just needs to learn to chill and be satisfied with less exercise, but of course that's not her nature so it's hard for her. Maybe with time she'll learn to go with the flow a bit more.

ETA: And you most certainly aren't a lousy owner. It's a crappy situation for you and her and you're doing everything you can to keep her both happy and healthy.

Last edited:

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE

You are most certainly not a lousy owner. I'm sure it's been visited before, but maybe worth thinking about again - do you have room for a treadmill, and/or fitpaws equipment? I think the treadmill for little bits of time at varying speeds would help take the edge off, and fitpaws stuff can wear them out really quickly.

Hugs, I know it's hard. :(

DJEtzel

Patton has discovered jumping and breaking. Breaking out of crates, jumping baby gates, ex pens, SIX FOOT PRIVACY FENCES. ugh. Crating and rotating with fiancé's dog isn't easy with this new hobby. Feeling a little stressed. Thankfully I have a dog room and vari kennel coming soon.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks guys. :( It sucks.

I don't think she can treadmill really. Panting of any sort sets off her breathing issues pretty bad. Any kind of forced repetitive exercise- she needs the ability to take breaks a lot.

Sun makes it awful because she pants.

The fitpaws we need to look into though. I think she could do that.

Even just shaping right now gets her SO excited she pants and has really loud breathing. We've been doing like... 5 ball throws here. Make her rest. Then 5 more.

But she gets amped up then barks constantly which can't be good on her trachea either. I've had to hide all the tennis balls because if they're available she will fixate and demand bark at them.

The vets are really not wanting to start medication yet though. I feel like we are going to have to within the next year.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Even 2-3 minutes at a slow pace a few times per day would be too much for her? :( Starting out even shorter than that, of course. I really do think fitpaws equipment would help a lot - I love love love the peanut.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I am so glad that I rented the agility arena today! We got an extra 20 minutes on top of our 30 because we got there early.

Cobain flew off the teeter on his first attempt, so I'm glad we got that out of him lol.
And Rigby RAN. I was amazed at how fearless and fast she was!

I hope the fitpaws stuff works out for Mia! Poor girl, it must be so tough in this weather :(

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The fitpaws we need to look into though. I think she could do that.

Even just shaping right now gets her SO excited she pants and has really loud breathing. We've been doing like... 5 ball throws here. Make her rest. Then 5 more.
For my guys at least, they get really excited about the FitPaws stuff, so I think if she gets excited while shaping she might get excited about that too... OTOH maybe you could shape calm behavior, slow breathing..?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah we're going to have to do some calming work for sure. It's not her nature but she needs to learn how to calm.

I... want this dog on petfinder. Really badly. She's a McNab mix. Ugh god, I can't even describe why. Her description is very vague just says sweet, good with dogs and people, and energetic.

I keep looking at the paperwork and you do have to put an address but it doesn't look thorough. It's a county shelter and not a rescue. I'm SO tempted to just use Dad's address or something. Or ask a friend to try pulling her. I mean... my foot is halfway out the door right now. I am looking hard at homes to own. Maybe she'll still be available in the fall? Ugh probably not.

I also got sent a email about a performance papillon puppy in need of a home. Black and white, both parents are CHIC'd which is awesome for the breed. Being homed because of a mismark.

AND my friend that runs sheltie rescue has a sports prospect sheltie right now.

I've had some bad feelings about the breeder I was looking at. Just not sure about things... Their dogs are awesome or seem that way. Just... uneasy and much like the feeling I had with Mia's breeder and I DON'T want a repeat. Some of my favorite agility dogs are rescues and to top it off I wouldn't have to put down $1500 for a rescue right off the bat.... I just wish I was more experienced in picking a performance dog.

Move NAOW please? I want that McNab mix.

Summer had an off day tonight and that probably is making me more anxious. 1 second over course time every time. Like it or not, my agility dog is getting old.

Members online

No members online now.