At the end of my rope

Well of course I spoke to soon, He's back to his ways. Pooping and peeing on the carpet. Im at the end of my rope. No matter what I find to keep him busy nothing works. He even decided to eat the carpet on one stair. Like mentioned before this is only done when no one is home and hes taking it to pee on the front door mat along with the back door mat. We have him on the main floor which prevented him from pooping on the carpet, its hardwood. But after a few days he is going on the front carpet. My sister refuses to move them while we are not home so my only option is a crate. Im getting my b/fs crate that he isnt using anymore for his dog this weekend. And Im going to start working on getting Duke in the crate a few minutes at a time during the day and working slowly with him to get him use to it. Im just so frusterated with him, no matter what I do Im not doing it right with him. And the move was what messed him up, Most days I wish I never moved at all.

adojrts

Ok, I have a few thoughts on this........
First thing.......you no longer have the same pup, it doesn't matter how good he was before, or how well housetrained he was (for that matter with a pup I think you got lucky), what he is doing now is a 'learned behaviour'. When you allowed him to use the basement as a toilet you taught him that going inside is ok. So you now have to retrain him, you have to treat him like he has never been housetrained in his very short life, like he was starting out as a 8-10 wk old pup. Crate training in my opinion is the only way to go, at least for the time being (for the next year). Retraining him will take much longer because once an undesired behaviour has started, it takes twice or 3 times as long to fix it. You have train and supervise him for success, no point in being upset or frustrated with him as I said its now a 'learned behaviour' and it is not his fault.
Good luck and if you want some additional info on problem housetraining or puppy housetraining let me know and I'll be happy to give you the links.
Take care
Lynn

Members online

No members online now.