Lead Poisoning

alon504

We live in an older home and I've recently discovered that our puppy, Sophie, has been knawing on some paint near the floor level in our bathroom. I do know that the original levels of paint do have lead in them. I've been keeping her out of the bathroom and have been watching her and she seems to be fine. Should I be concerned? What are symptoms to watch out for with lead poisoning? How much does a puppy need to ingest for their to be cause for concern? I don't think she has eaten much...I found chips on the floor and it doesn't appear that she has swallowed too much. Thanks ahead of time for input...I'm concerned, somewhat, although, as mentioned, she's acting fine.

moe

Well all I can say is that quite some years ago whe we were kids we had dogs that did the same(this was before the scare of lead posioning) all the paint in the house was the (old stuff then), and nothing ever happened to our dogs I'm not saying its not harmful, just that our dogs lived to tell the tale.
but if possible now with hind sight I would put them somewhere they cant get at the paintwork just in case

Mo

Moe gave you good advice.

If you'll do a google search using the terms 'lead poison canine' you'll turn up all sorts of information. I believe that there is a poison link on the resource links I posted in another thread too.

I've got an old turn of the century house that had oil based paint on the windows, baseboards and trim too. I repainted all of those areas with maritime paint. It covered up the lead based paint completely, and I'll never have to worry about painting the windows, trim and baseboards again, lol!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I have an older home as well that like Renee's did has an oil based paint. I havent painted over it though i have meant to just in case especially with pups. I may do it this summer who knows.

Members online

No members online now.