Shows That Make You Geek Out

Xandra

NDE = Near Death Experience

The Hobbit movies imo sucked. The three LOTR movies are great (if long) but I think they'd make no sense with just a part of a trilogy. I don't like the Hobbit to begin with though. I loved LOTR and devoured it in about a week when I finally picked up the books. They're slow reading though.
They did suck lol. First of all, there are two too many of them and way too much miscellaneous crap. I liked the book though, and I guess the movies were kind of OK as B entertainment.

I got halfway through the LOTR and it was just tooo slllooww. I remember the point of desertion for me was when he spent like 1 page describing a hillside and all the surrounding plantlife holy jesus that was it. I have since come to learn this is a common complaint. Anyways, the movies were super duper.

Aragron isn't good, he's hot. Or at least Viggo as Aragorn is hot.
He is hot. When I "did" LOTR we were all 12ish and my friends were all over Legolas. I agreed because I didn't want to look like I was into daddies or anything but Aragorn is/was way hotter.

I love the magic, but I love almost everything (except a couple of the tediously awkward sex scenes- littlefinger's brothel for example). I think the most interesting thing to me is what is going on in the north with the white walkers and wildlings.
I like sex scenes but some of those are trying way too hard. Acceptable sexy scenes included Robb's, Ros flashing Theon from the cart and zee twins. Excluded is anything that takes place in the brothel with lesbians teaching each other or girls twisting around or anything else that's like "hey guys look we're HBO we're so risque here's some SEX."

I want to know what's going on with all the crazy up there too, but I can't say moreso than the politcaly stuff to the South. Honestly I'm most interested in how my favorite characters fare. I read mostly for them (I hope they don't die D: )

ETA yeah you guys moved way on past while I was typing lol

JacksonsMom

Ha, 'Tyrion' was on Nip/Tuck. Love it. Almost every show I watch ends up having some of the same actors in one way or another lol.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
The Hobbit... was weird. It's a short childrens' story that they decided to milk for all the $$$ it's worth. It should NEVER have been made into more than one movie.... maybe two. I think two is pushing it. It's not LOTR and never was supposed to be of the same scale as LOTR. It's not a sprawling epic dealing with good vs evil and the fate of the world- it was a story about a hobbit and some dwarves going on a treasure hunt to a mountain with a dragon. They'd tried to make it LOTR and it failed badly imo. I didn't even go see the second one. /rant/
I really like The Hobbit but not the movies. I agree, they tried to turn it into an LOTR-type epic and it just doesn't work for that story.

Equinox

He is hot. When I "did" LOTR we were all 12ish and my friends were all over Legolas. I agreed because I didn't want to look like I was into daddies or anything but Aragorn is/was way hotter.
Yeah, when Lord of the Rings came out in theaters, the #1 thing I remembered was how much my friends squealed over Orlando Bloom. I was also pretty young but even now I don't really get it. Objectively he's fine looking, but then I just Googled this Aragorn guy and mmmmm. Yes. Much better.

I like sex scenes but some of those are trying way too hard. Acceptable sexy scenes included Robb's, Ros flashing Theon from the cart and zee twins. Excluded is anything that takes place in the brothel with lesbians teaching each other or girls twisting around or anything else that's like "hey guys look we're HBO we're so risque here's some SEX."

I want to know what's going on with all the crazy up there too, but I can't say moreso than the politcaly stuff to the South. Honestly I'm most interested in how my favorite characters fare. I read mostly for them (I hope they don't die D: )

ETA yeah you guys moved way on past while I was typing lol
I agree that a lot of the sex is just HBO being HBO. I don't really mind it but it does feel gratuitous. The Meereenese knot reference made me laugh, though.

I'm personally so curious about Rickon and Osha (and Shaggydog, of course)! Especially because we don't really know anything about them but their location from the books. Also, DORNE. MORE OF THE DORNISH, PLEASE. I am dying to see more of Dorne and the Martells and the Sand Snakes, and Oberyn and Ellaria seem to be perfectly cast.

Ha, 'Tyrion' was on Nip/Tuck. Love it. Almost every show I watch ends up having some of the same actors in one way or another lol.
He does SUCH a great job as Tyrion. Definitely one of my favorite portrayals in the series.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My friend who watched it said she was very confused for a while regarding the characters and who was related to who etc. lol
My friend just watched the first episode today and was very....lost afterward. Quote: "What are you confused about?" "I guess I just don't have any clue what's going on."
Lol at the moment she just has pretty much no idea what anybody's name is and who is related or what exactly is happening with the story itself.

I am very much a book person though and don't think I could watch it without reading it first. I have to know ALL the details or forget it, I'm lost.

I really like The Hobbit but not the movies. I agree, they tried to turn it into an LOTR-type epic and it just doesn't work for that story.
Dear dog am I glad I'm not the only one! Everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy but they are just.so.bad! And wth was is shown in whatever bs frames per second it was shown in? The story was bad enough but making it look like cheap made for tv crap. Why did they ruin the book :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What I don't get is how bad the effects look compared to LOTR. Fellowship came out in 2001 and it looks a hell of a lot better effects-wise than the new movies. So in 13 years the effects jut look cheaper? What?

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
"hey guys look we're HBO we're so risque here's some SEX."
^This is why I stopped watching GoT. I was reading the books before the show was conceived, and have read them all and am looking forward to the next but the show is just not my cup of tea. Some great actors, a great story, but HBO's approach makes it seem too often like a series of sex scenes strung together by bits of story, instead of a compelling story in which sex happens.

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
^This is why I stopped watching GoT. I was reading the books before the show was conceived, and have read them all and am looking forward to the next but the show is just not my cup of tea. Some great actors, a great story, but HBO's approach makes it seem too often like a series of sex scenes strung together by bits of story, instead of a compelling story in which sex happens.
Imo it's gotten a bit better by the third season. There were a couple gratuitious shots but nothing like some of the first season brothel scenes. thought I guess the Podrick scene was closish?

It is annoyingly distracting though sometimes.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Imo it's gotten a bit better by the third season. There were a couple gratuitious shots but nothing like some of the first season brothel scenes. thought I guess the Podrick scene was closish?

It is annoyingly distracting though sometimes.
I only made it about 4-5 eps into season 2 before giving it up, so will have to take your word for it :)

JacksonsMom

Okay so I watched the first ep last night. I liked it, I can see it as a show I might get into. I was just really tired last night, have a sinus infection, so I haven't watched past the first ep yet. I'll judge it more after a few more. :) I was definitely slightly confused as to who is who and what exactly was going on, but I'm hoping that gets better :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The gratuitous sex is very often brought up as a downside to GoT, especially among female viewers. The violence people don't seem to really mind, but the sex for sex sake is a turnoff. My co-worker (a male) has described it like HBO has decided that whenever there's a "talking spot" where they are just talking and people might be like "this is boring they're just talking I'm gonna go get a sandwich," that's when they dump random sex in. To try and prevent people from going to get a sandwich LOL.

Does anybody here watch Teen Wolf? I feel like somebody has mentioned it before. It popped up as a suggestion on Amazon Prime so I think I'm going to try watching it once I finish Numb3rs. Which will be like an eternity away because I'm only on season 3 and it's hour long episodes LOL.

Does anybody here watch Teen Wolf? I feel like somebody has mentioned it before. It popped up as a suggestion on Amazon Prime so I think I'm going to try watching it once I finish Numb3rs. Which will be like an eternity away because I'm only on season 3 and it's hour long episodes LOL.
I said I wanted to watch it and shadowfacedanes said it was good. Thanks for telling me it's on Prime now though! It wasn't couple weeks ago when I searched!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The gratuitous sex is very often brought up as a downside to GoT, especially among female viewers. The violence people don't seem to really mind, but the sex for sex sake is a turnoff. My co-worker (a male) has described it like HBO has decided that whenever there's a "talking spot" where they are just talking and people might be like "this is boring they're just talking I'm gonna go get a sandwich," that's when they dump random sex in. To try and prevent people from going to get a sandwich LOL.
The violence... for the most part (just thought of one scene lol)... it is plot driving and not gratuitous. A lot of the sex is just... tacked in there. The sex scenes that drive the plot and are relevant and not just two random extras humping each other are fine.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I do! I love it. I watched part of the first season when it first aired and thought it was extremely cheesy and stupid. I admit I made fun of it. I am now a super fan, especially of Dylan O'Brien, I will marry him someday LOL! But I made fun of The Vampire Diaries too, and it's one of my favorites now.

Definitely give Teen Wolf a try though, it's awesome!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
The violence... for the most part (just thought of one scene lol)... it is plot driving and not gratuitous. A lot of the sex is just... tacked in there. The sex scenes that drive the plot and are relevant and not just two random extras humping each other are fine.
Exactly.

Equinox

Yeah, agreed. That's what I was referring to later as "sexposition" --> sex + exposition. I definitely do not mind sex scenes, and I don't even actually find it off putting (with the exception of that Littlefinger brothel coaching scene we mentioned, and maybe a few others). But, it's definitely gratuitous and seems like the writers' way of making otherwise boring dialogue more interesting. Which is cool, but in Game of Thrones there are SO many details and little things that have to be explained through dialogue, so you get a sex scene with it every time. I began really noticing during my rewatches (particularly when I was trying to get family members to watch with me LOL).

Again, I don't really mind it overall, and usually bring it up (along with the violence) when other people are considering watching and I just want to give them a fair warning.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
That's what I was referring to later as "sexposition" --> sex + exposition.
OMG hahaha. That's perfect.

I think it's actually had the opposite effect though, i think there are plenty of women viewers who are like "Oh it's a sex scene. Yawn. Guess it's time to go make a sandwich."

Equinox

OMG hahaha. That's perfect.

I think it's actually had the opposite effect though, i think there are plenty of women viewers who are like "Oh it's a sex scene. Yawn. Guess it's time to go make a sandwich."
I first saw the term on a blog, I think, and it's been thrown around a few times now when talking about Game of Thrones. It really is spot on LOL

And I'm not sure - none of my friends mind the sex scenes, even on a rewatch, but I can definitely see people in general just roll their eyes and skip it altogether. That's a bummer though because some of the dialogue really can add to the show, or include interesting details that sort of add to the world for non-book readers. I don't mind the scenes, plus it's a great way to sell the series to my guy friends who haven't watched it yet. I tell them about all the great boobs they'll be seeing :p

...but ironically, the two guys I've been really pushing to start the series were both put off by the violence. And by violence I mean the first 10 minutes of S01E01. What.

Members online

No members online now.