Chow Chow Attack

nemesys

Hello all ...

i have a male chow chow dog in about 2 years old ,
untill now everything was ok , it was very frendly dog , who used to do no harm to nobody .

in the past month the dog is just starting to attack everybody with no reason , it is frendlly all the time and very active , but sometimes when some one comes neer him he just start to attack , all the time .

we live in n.y in a small house with a balcony and the dog go outside every day , he never been maid with a female before ...

does anybody can tell me whats going on here ?
is there any way to prevent the next threat ( attack ) ?

any comment will be more then welcome .

thx !

Adrienne

First take the dog to a vet to make sure there isn't a medical reason for the attacks. Next if he is not neutered, neuter him. Third, put a muzzle on the dog when he is around anyone that he may attack, you don't want a lawsuit on your hands while you sort this problem out.

bubbatd

Add my echo here !!!! This is sad for you. Try to get him out among dogs and people WITH the muzzle !!! Did he go to obedience school. ??

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
Chows are nutoruious for being mean it may just be the breed

Have you socialized your dog how often when you take him out does he get to meet and greet other people and dogs, what do you normally do with him when people come over, have you done any kind of obedinence work with this dog??

It sounds like he needs to be neutered if he isn't already and that he needs alot of socialization also a check with your vet wouldn't hurt

Adrienne

wildwings811 said:

Have you socialized your dog how often when you take him out does he get to meet and greet other people and dogs, what do you normally do with him when people come over, have you done any kind of obedinence work with this dog??

It sounds like he needs to be neutered if he isn't already and that he needs alot of socialization also a check with your vet wouldn't hurt
Not true, just media hype, they are like any dog... Please, blame the deed, not the BREED!

nemesys

wildwings811 said:

the dog goes out every day twice a day for 30 min every time .
the dog is very good with people , our house is full with poeple all the time , the dog just sit's in the corner and dosent do nothing , he wont let anybody pet him or comes neer him, he used to be very great with people , only in the last month everything starts ....

when the dog is out he is freaindly with other dog's and their owners , but nobody thouch him , i think he is to scerd ...

Adrienne

Sounds to me like he may be in pain of some sort and that is why all of a sudden he doens't like being touched. Please get him to the vet soon to rule out a medical illness.

bubbatd

He may have just started to feel he has to protect the family . And yes, i do agree with Wildwings....Chow's do need to be socialized a lot ..... depending on their breeding and up bringing.

Adrienne

bubbatd said:
He may have just started to feel he has to protect the family . And yes, i do agree with Wildwings....Chow's do need to be socialized a lot ..... depending on their breeding and up bringing.
If the dog came from a BYB then yes, temperment may be in question but Chow breeders have worked exceptionaly hard at maintaing a stable temperment of this breed, it is not the norm for them to be aggressive to that degree.

nemesys

what is byb meens ?
and how do i make him more friendly because we having a company all the time but he feels that is need to be on garad all the time/
what should i do
thx

M

Manchesters

There Is A Reason......

Adrienne said:
If the dog came from a BYB then yes, temperment may be in question but Chow breeders have worked exceptionaly hard at maintaing a stable temperment of this breed, it is not the norm for them to be aggressive to that degree.
That Chow exhibitors hold the mouth of a dog shut while the judge is going over it. I just happen to have a dear friend who was one of the top Chow Breeders in the Country. You can read about her and her dogs in the Jean Brearly book, or the Anna K. Chow Chow book.

Chows are totally weird dogs. They will spazz out with no provocation, and try to eat everyone around. Just the same as cats will freak out and go totally nutso. The dogs cannot see all that well if they have the preferred wrinkled head, which makes them spookier, and they are just plain grumpy.

A two year old male needs his family jewels removed from the vault, and some hard core obedience in a class environment with a trainer who knows what he/she is doing. A Chow will push you as far as he/she can (you=boundaries). They can become very treacherous dogs.

Adrienne

nemesys said:
what is byb meens ?
and how do i make him more friendly because we having a company all the time but he feels that is need to be on garad all the time/
what should i do
thx
Well, BYB means back yard breeder, someone that breeds dogs that haven't been health tested or temperment tested. A good breeder would screen all potential owners and would have a guarentee for if the pup had problems down the road.

To make him more friendly first you need to address the questions already asked. Has he been neutered? Has he seen a vet recently because this new reaction could be caused by an illness. Then you need to get a muzzle for him so that while you are working on making him friendly again he can't hurt anyone. Has he actualy bit someone? Has he been taken out and about to meet new people during his lifetime? Has something in your family changed to make him more aggressive? People can't really offer advice on something as serious as this without knowing about the dogs life.

Adrienne

Manchesters said:
That Chow exhibitors hold the mouth of a dog shut while the judge is going over it. I just happen to have a dear friend who was one of the top Chow Breeders in the Country. You can read about her and her dogs in the Jean Brearly book, or the Anna K. Chow Chow book.

Chows are totally weird dogs. They will spazz out with no provocation, and try to eat everyone around. Just the same as cats will freak out and go totally nutso. The dogs cannot see all that well if they have the preferred wrinkled head, which makes them spookier, and they are just plain grumpy.

A two year old male needs his family jewels removed from the vault, and some hard core obedience in a class environment with a trainer who knows what he/she is doing. A Chow will push you as far as he/she can (you=boundaries). They can become very treacherous dogs.
Come on Manchester, do you have to argue everything? One of my moms best friends breeds chows and it is not the norm nowdays for them to be aggressive for no reason. Anyways telling a person that their dog is meant to be this way is not solving the problem it is just adding to it by giving an excuse for the behavior. Most likely this dog has a medical issue for this to have sprung up so quickly or it hasn't been socialized properly. Don't generalize the breed...that is why Staffies and Pits and Dobes and Shepherds have gotten such a bad rap. Being a dog lover I would think you wouldn't want to add to that rap. Oh well I give up.

becca_4321

looked like a manchester that tried to eat my chow alive last night....ya just never know.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Manchesters. Almost every chow I've EVER met has been anti-social to downright vicious (except with family members). I'm sure there are some nice ones out there but as a rule, they've earned their rep. The same pretty much applies for Shar-Peis.

Pam

Adrienne

I am absolutely amazed at the ignorance of people :mad: If it was such a horrid breed why do they continue to breed it?

EliNHunter

I'll have to agree with Manchesters on this one, too. Get your dog FIXED... that's the first step. And get him/her into training. They aren't wired great (from the ones I've known) but the ones that got trained and loved on ended up fine...

M

Manchesters

Breeding Chows......

Adrienne said:
Come on Manchester, do you have to argue everything? One of my moms best friends breeds chows and it is not the norm nowdays for them to be aggressive for no reason. Anyways telling a person that their dog is meant to be this way is not solving the problem it is just adding to it by giving an excuse for the behavior. Most likely this dog has a medical issue for this to have sprung up so quickly or it hasn't been socialized properly. Don't generalize the breed...that is why Staffies and Pits and Dobes and Shepherds have gotten such a bad rap. Being a dog lover I would think you wouldn't want to add to that rap. Oh well I give up.
And this friend of your mom's has finished HOW MANY Chows? The breed standard has not changed. It calls for an aloof dog. Why does this friend breed Chows? For money, or to improve upon the breed??? I am not generalizing the breed, I am being very specific. They can and will freak out and chomp anyone who is close enough.
Perhaps your mother's friend breeds the coyote style Chow????

Julie

I am back again.
I agree that chows are a very tempremental breed. They go off for the littlest reasons. It takes a VERY cautious owner with a chow chow. I have seen the damage to the face of a child. And I have known several and would not trust any of them with my children.

Just because a chows parents has health tests, and its parents are tested for "temperment" does not mean that the chow pup will grow up to be a trusted dog. It takes lots of training and socialization to get the most out of this tempermental breed. And maybe they will pass the temperment test, then two days later, not pass the same test.

Each to His Own....... No Sense in arguing over opinions and nothing is 100%.

Sincerely,
Julie.

luvmydogs

im sorry i have no advice, but i had to LOL @ manchesters...for saying. "he needs his family jewels removed." LMAO!!!!!!! at least someone who watches her mouth. i would have said the opposite. heehee.however i think...its the way it comes out of my mouth. ;)

Members online

No members online now.