Chloe's Owie is looking rather weird...

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Is this normal ? for her skin to be that color around that area ?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, I think it's just scabbing over... then it should fall off later.
It's been a while since I've had a dog with a big open owie though, but IIRC that is normal and okay!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Its actually her skin thats black :confused: her SCAB where the holes were already fell off. so thats why I wasnt really sure

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
its normal for skin to darken its pigmentation after trauma and environmental wear.

vixies tummy turned very dark grey/black during her pregnancy, i thought it was dirty but it wouldnt wash off, i asked the vet and they explained that trauma and sometimes jus tlife in general causes the skin on light dogs to blacken. as long as theres no decaying tissue, open wounds, and its not tender to touch (ie a bruise) its just pigment change.

ACooper

I think it looks GREAT! The new little hairs popping out all around the wound lets you know it's not dead flesh :)

And once the hairs are all in, you won't even notice the black scars :)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Yep - I've seen it before, many times. I used to groom a silver mini schnauzer who had a 4" long "frankenstein mark", complete with little holes from the stitches. He had a lump removed, and the hair along the incision and the stitches turned black. No idea why it happened, but it did. Sir Galahad had his "frankenstein mark" his whole life. :)

Members online