Collars!

GoingNowhere

So I got my pack of rivets in the mail the other day and I've been messing around with this collar making thing. Anyhow - the first attempt turned out cool, but kind of lumpy, but I'm quite proud of my second - planning to make it Boo's new collar :)

What I've learned:

1) there's like 5 million kinds of leather and synthetic leather and I can't tell the difference between them! Most belts don't bother to say.
2) leather (and even the fake stuff) is hard to poke holes into even with a leather punch! And blisters hurt.
3) the leather doesn't always listen when you tell it to bend in a nice pretty circle.
4) this is addicting and although there's a learning curve, I want to keep doing this!

This is the one I liked. I do know that the outer layer at least is genuine leather because it was written on the belt that I used. The bottom piece came from a different belt and I think it's real leather, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

and I used a woodburner to burn Boo's name and my phone numbers into the underside of the end of the collar so that technically she could go tagless (don't mind the smudging... I just don't want my phone numbers public so I photoshopped a bit)

And this was the first attempt. I *think* the red strap is leather and the bottom strap is synthetic, but it's hard to tell.

it looks great flat!

but it's a bit lumpy when bent.

still, I want to see what it looks like on an actual dog - I feel like the lumpiness won't be so apparent when it's around a neck.

What do you think?

And a sidenote - I get to see Boo in a week and a half!!!!!!!!!!!! :D So so excited.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
maybe cut the inside piece a little shorter and rivet it while it is in a circle instead of flat and that should make the bumpyness better. i wish some other collar people wold offer tips for you . does that concorusa learning place have leatherworking on it? that would rock. I really like your design and I wish i was not so broke , i would buy one in a heart beat!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
The bumpyness of the double leather collar should go away with time once the dog conditions it. My Paco double leather came the same way. :) (except it did the opposite of yours. when I laid mine flat the top piece raised up)

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Awesome! I do a little leather work myself! I always work with vegetable tan leather pre-made belts though. Much easier. Much more fun to dye it all yourself and such too. :)

... I made this one.

This one..

... and several more that I don't have pictures of. :D

Obviously, the more you do it, the better you get. My first few.. SCARY!

GoingNowhere

very cool and thanks for the advice guys :) We'll see how they continue to go!

Meepits - where do you get the belts from? I've been thrifting which is great because I get to upcycle and the belts are inexpensive, but it's a bit of a gamble as to what's at the thrift shop on any given day as well as if it's real leather or not...

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
very cool and thanks for the advice guys :) We'll see how they continue to go!

Meepits - where do you get the belts from? I've been thrifting which is great because I get to upcycle and the belts are inexpensive, but it's a bit of a gamble as to what's at the thrift shop on any given day as well as if it's real leather or not...
I normally get mine through Hobby Lobby. But if you want thinner than 1.25" (which is truly 1"), then Tandy Leather is your place.

I've tried working with belts from stores but it just doesn't work for me because I do a lot of stamping with mine. :)

Members online

No members online now.