My dog...

CaliTerp07

has learned to climb fences. *sigh*

Good thing the neighbors are dog friendly...because Lucy has been in their backyard 3 times over the past 2 days. We thought she was squeezing under the fence, so we put up barricades and patched anywhere that looked like she might get through. Then we watched her.

She jumps up, puts her paws on the top, and scurries up with her back legs until she climbs over (it's only a 4-5 foot chain link fence). I think she's been copy-catting the squirrels.

She now doesn't get to go in the yard except on leash (which sucks, because the whole reason we moved from an apartment to a house is so that she can run around outside!)

Oh Lucy-bug. You will be the death of me.

Run a hot wire near the top, held out 3 or 4 inches from the actual fence. It makes you feel mean, but one or two zaps to learn to NOT climb the fence is a whole lot better than a lifetime without being able to be loose in the yard . . . or climbing the wrong fence and getting hit by a car.

CaliTerp07

Run a hot wire near the top, held out 3 or 4 inches from the actual fence. It makes you feel mean, but one or two zaps to learn to NOT climb the fence is a whole lot better than a lifetime without being able to be loose in the yard . . . or climbing the wrong fence and getting hit by a car.
Something that is linked to her collar, right? Because 2 other neighbors have dogs as well, and I would hate for the well-behaving ones to get zapped.

xpaeanx

Do other dogs use the same yard?

you can buy the invisible fence thing, that is link to a transmitter on the collar... it's more expensive then just running electric wire around the top of the fence(which is what I think Renee is talking about)... but it will do the same job.

I'm not sure how large the fence is... but if she's putting her paws into the chainlink and climbing, you can also run something like chicken wire around the inside of the fence.

CaliTerp07

Do other dogs use the same yard?

you can buy the invisible fence thing, that is link to a transmitter on the collar... it's more expensive then just running electric wire around the top of the fence(which is what I think Renee is talking about)... but it will do the same job.

I'm not sure how large the fence is... but if she's putting her paws into the chainlink and climbing, you can also run something like chicken wire around the inside of the fence.
They don't use the same yard, but they share the fence. She's hopping over the back fence into the neighbor's backyard--1 fence divides the area into 2 yards. So if I make the fence zappy (hey, that's a word, who knew?), the golden retriever behind us (and the labs on either side of us) could get zapped as well.

The invisible fence thing may be what we have to go with, especially since we're renting so we can't really make any modifications. The additional problem is that there are so many hedges and bushes that I can't get to the fence from our yard--Lucy crawls through the shrubbery till she's out of sight, and sneaks over. I trimmed back as much as I could without killing my landlord's plants, but it doesn't help much.

The good new is, the neighbors are super nice, so Lucy has enabled us to meet new people!

The fence is on the other side of all those bushes and crap.

I was just going to go to home depot and buy a giant piece of plywood to block the spot she keeps jumping/climbing, but you guys are right that if she can jump it there, she can probably jump into the front yard (and thus into the street as well). I guess I have a project for Saturday now...

No, nothing on her collar. You'd attach it on the INSIDE of your fence, extending 3 or 4 inches inward, so that when she climbs the fence she can't avoid it and gets a jolt. Other dogs wouldn't be in contact with it unless they were in your yard, climbing your fence. You can get solar powered units.

Or you could just run it on some lower posts inside the fence to keep her away from the fence.

Looking at that yard, it's not going to be easy. You might just run a wire in front of the bushes near the fence.

CaliTerp07

No, nothing on her collar. You'd attach it on the INSIDE of your fence, extending 3 or 4 inches inward, so that when she climbs the fence she can't avoid it and gets a jolt. Other dogs wouldn't be in contact with it unless they were in your yard, climbing your fence. You can get solar powered units.

Or you could just run it on some lower posts inside the fence to keep her away from the fence.
Oooh, that could work then. Do I buy this at home depot?

You'd find it at someplace like Tractor Supply, probably, or a farm supply store. Although a pet supply might have one especially for dogs, but it would probably also be more expensive -- and less effective.

xpaeanx

If you're not sharing a yard, then the other dogs won't get zapped... so you don't have to worry about that. The electric fence on the inside of the shrubs would probably be the easiest bet... and it's easy to take down when you move.

ETA: in terms of finding it... just look for livestock fencing online.

valley vet has some stuff to give you an idea of what it all looks like... you can prob find it cheaper though...

Electric Netting Powerfields (Farm Supplies - Goat Sheep - Fencing - Electric Netting)
Deluxe Field Solar Fencer Parker Mccrory (Equine - Fencing Equipment - Electric Fencing - Chargers)
Step-In Poly Fence Post Zareba Systems (Farm Supplies - Goat Sheep - Fencing - Posts)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We had to run hotwire below and above our 6 foot privacy fence when we had Shack. He was the biggest escape artist. Generally he would just escape and go hang out on the front porch.

CaliTerp07

Hrm, okay. I will look online, else TSC is over an hour away, so I may be making a special trip this weekend.

Thanks for the help!

CaliTerp07

We had to run hotwire below and above our 6 foot privacy fence when we had Shack. He was the biggest escape artist. Generally he would just escape and go hang out on the front porch.
I'm very grateful that the people she keeps visiting find it humorous! This would be a pretty awkward experience if I had to keep knocking on the door of an angry person.

Seriously though, this dog is too darn smart for me. Opening cabinets, getting into the locking kind of trashcan, climbing fences...She has earned her nickname Lucy-fur (lucifer).

Members online

No members online now.