How much can I expect to pay for a standard poodle?

Saeleofu

Well, the search is on for my future SD. I emailed a standard poodle breeder in Arizona explaining my situation and asking about prices. They come highly recommended by someone who really knows her stuff.

My question is, what should I set as an approximate limit for a dog? Their dogs are all health tested (I wouldn't get one from a breeder that doesn't health test, given what I want the dog for), and they show in both conformation and hunting trials. They are really gorgeous dogs. They breed primarily for red and silver, however they have more colors. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a red poodle, though color isn't really important to me.

Anyway...I'm not familiar with prices in poodles, really, so I was just curious about what I could expect to pay. They haven't replied yet.

Saeleofu

Lol, it's a rough estimate, that's all I'm asking for ;)

I initially set myself a limit of $2000.

I got an email back from the breeder, and they said they'll work with me on cost :D

I would assume it varies from place to place. The breeder mine came from charge $1,200 four years ago lol. Good luck, I could be wrong but I have always been told that the reds have more health problems in their lines than some of the other colors. I could of course be wrong about that but it's something I heard on a Poodle forum once lol. They are very beautiful though.

BleuButterfly

Papillon Fancier
Probably the prices will vary. In Papillons it is usually $1500 + for a good show dog. I have seen some breeders sell show dogs at $5000. So, I guess it really depends on the breeder, and the area you are in.

I really like white Standards. Though, I am starting to fall for the red. Lol

Dont know but wanted to say good luck!

I love the reds (and browns and blacks, lol)

I am going to be so jealous if you get one :(

Saeleofu

It's not a question of if, it's WHEN ;)

This breeder health tests all their dogs, so I'm not worried about health issues. They have also placed other dogs successfully as service dogs.

Not all their dogs are red, but they breed primarily for red and silver. The specific breeding they mentioned to me would not produce red pups (I don't think), but would definitely produce silver in the pups. I adore silver, though of course color isn't important.

If anyone's interested/curious, this is the link: Dark Red and Silver Hunting Poodles

Grab

I love standards:D I have a soft spot for the partis as well. There is a black and white girl who comes in to the clinic I work and and she's just lovely

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
1200-2000$ is the average for a pet quality puppy. I am currently looking at breeders for my next standard, so i have seen some price variations. I personally would not pay more then 2000$ though.

I would be very wary of most red breeders. There are very few actually good red breeders around. Red is the hot new color, so that is bred for above all else (including health and temperament).

Just be sure to actually visit the breeder before putting any deposit down. Make sure the dogs are healthy and have good temperaments. Since you want this as a service dog, make sure the parents have nice calm, even temperaments (not hyper to hunt all the time).

Saeleofu

I have done a good bit of research. This breeder comes highly recommended by the former Seeing Eye trainer this is wanting to start a program with me. We are considering getting many dogs from them in the future, when our program is up and running. She has worked with them several times and has had no problems with them.

Their health testing results for all their dogs are listed right there on their website. Sure, not every dog is perfect in every aspect. As you can see, a number of their dogs are NOT red, and are not being crossed to red, so it's not all about color. The cross I was told about would not produce red. They're also willing to run whatever tests/evaluations on the prospective pups that you request. They also do early neurological stimulation on their pups which I definitely value.

I definitely would want to look at the pups before I made a final decision though. As of right now, if I go to school at Bergin this year, and if I'm still living here when I do so, I intend to stop by on my way back and check them out. Or I could do so on the way back from my interview.

I had wanted to wait until I had my first session at Bergin, but now, with the possibility of not starting for another year, I may get one later this year anyway. A year off of school is the perfect time to start a puppy. I am perfectly capable of training a dog, plus I have a whole community (not this one, another one) of service dog handlers and trainers to bounce ideas off of, and I have my dad on tap to help out (he's a professional dog trainer, been training dogs for over 40 years, and has trained service dogs before).

The cross I'm looking at may produce puppies mid-late this year or early next year...if possible, I think I'm going to try to get one from that litter.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Well good luck! Poodles are wonderful dogs! Have you ever trained poodles before or been around alot of them? Just a friendly word of caution. :) Poodles are very senstive to training, and you cant train a poodle like you would a lab. They dont take corrections well (even verbal ones). They are so scary smart too! Good luck on your search!

Saeleofu

If it's a male his name will be Fiyero. I prefer a male. If it's a female it'll be either Eponine or Elphaba ;)

Doberluv

That looks like a good breeder, from what I could tell on the website. I am drooling. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress with this. I think it's very exciting.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Ive personally heard mixed reviews from poodle people about this breeder. I guess its about what your comfortable with. Certainly not the worst!

Members online

No members online now.