Raw Eggs

showpug

If I remember correctly, it's okay to add raw egg to your dog's food, right? Does anyone do this and if so, do you feel it makes a difference with skin and coat?

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
I add a raw egg everyday to Lizzie's diet and to me, her coat is very soft (for a Rough Collie) and it has taken on a bit of shine. Besides, she loves to have some extra flavoring in her kibble so its all for the best.

Some people have problems with feeding too much egg, and their dog can get an upset stomach, but I feed everyday with no problems

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Egg is a great source of high quality protein. It also contains a good amount of fat, which is what affects coat quality in some dogs.

Adding a whole, fresh egg is a great idea especially when a dog eats kibble as a main staple.

showpug

Mordy said:
Egg is a great source of high quality protein. It also contains a good amount of fat, which is what affects coat quality in some dogs.

Adding a whole, fresh egg is a great idea especially when a dog eats kibble as a main staple.
Great, they will be thrilled! The eggs I buy claim to have "extra" omega 3's and are loaded with other good stuff like vitamin E. Since kibble is their main staple at this point I will start adding a raw egg.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I used to feed Hannah a raw egg everyday with her morning kibble and she loved it! She never had any problems with them. Hannah always had a beautiful coat though so I have never really noticed a difference in her coat with or without the egg. I add strictly canned now so she doesn't get the egg anymore but I don't notice a difference though. Her coat is always soft but I think that is because Mark makes me give her extra baths since the baby and I use conditioner every time I give her a bath.

raw eggs are very healthy for dogs..my 2 get a whole egg 2-3 times a week with their raw meals, i just pull them out of the carton and watch them break it open (its pretty amusing ;)).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I do occasionally, but they give Sawyer horrible gas, so out of desperation I limit the amounts. Virgo seems to love them, but she's in the middle of switching to Innova anyway, and my nose just can't take anymore. :( ;)

Debi

my dogs love raw eggs, and I was giving them at least 3 times a week, but as Zoomers mentioned....gas has been a problem with Addie, and it has to be the egg cause nothing else is different. it's only when the egg is added. too rich maybe...I don't know. too bad cause she thinks it's such a treat.

patience2

Okay its back to giving raw eggs. I thought I heard somewhere that it
wasnt good for them so I quit giving it.. Im going to roll one out on
the floor in the morning to see what she will do with it. thanks !

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Dont 'roll it' onto the floor, it will make a big mess for sure! What I do is that I mix it with the kibble and save the shells. When I have enough I place them on a cookie sheet and bake them, then ground them into powder.

Also, as a side note, the farm fresh eggs are much better than the store bought eggs. I mainly give fresh eggs, since my grandmother has a lot of chickens, but since egg laying time is down I supplement a few times with the store bought eggs

smoore

LizzieCollie said:
What I do is that I mix it with the kibble and save the shells. When I have enough I place them on a cookie sheet and bake them, then ground them into powder.
What do you do with that powder? Add it to food as a supplement?

I also feed Emma a raw egg 3 times a week. IMO it does make a difference in her coat, and she enjoys eating it. I leave the shell on as well.

Members online

No members online now.