Is Royal Canin Potato and Rabbit a good choice?

I have a 5 month old female Westie. She has had trouble with intermitent soft stools for as long as we have had her. She did have Coccidia and we managed to get that cleared up.

Now th soft stools have returned. There is a drop or two of blood after she poops. The stools are soft but not watery. I took her into the vet to get an update on the coccidia issue. The fecal check was fine...no coccidia or worms. The vet decided that she may have food allergies and decided to put her on the Royal Canin Potato and Rabbit and did not give her anything for the loose stools. She had been eating the Canidae Lamb and Rice.

My husband thinks we should see someone else. Why did he send her home with nothing for the loose stools. Also, why just change her diet. This will be her forth food.

I am at a loss. The stool was still loose this morning and ther was still a few drops of blood. What should I do?

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
I'm not sure. Andy is on Royal Canin med. puppy and he has never had loose stools. He was on Nutro and some other brands before and always had potty problems. I would call your vet if the stools are solid within a few days.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I think it's always best to save prescription formulas and really novel protein sources as a last resort, when you have exhausted other possibilities and nothing worked.

If food allergies are indeed a problem, you will have to move to a novel protein and carb source that your dog has never been exposed to before, so the more variety you feed without a real need, the less options you have to fall back on if you do need them at some point.

If there's blood in the stool, that's a sign for either still more parasites, bacterial or viral infection, inflammation etc., so I would definitely take the dog to another vet to get a second opinion.

weylyn

I agree with getting a second opinion. The majority of allergies I've seen come up as dermatological issues rather than stool issues (esp with blood) although I guess anything's possible.

Members online

No members online now.