Archie's experience with K/D- Suggestions?

Tazwell

Archie is about 10 years old (maybe a little older,) and he's had some kidney problems in the past. A few months ago, he began having accidents in the house (Of the urine type.) He went in for bloodwork and some kidney parameters were elevated. They told me to feed him Hills Prescription diet, K/D. He was eating Merrick B.G., and before that, Canidae.

Before I started feeding it to him (oddly enough only about 5 or 6 days after our vet visit) He got very sick-- I almost lost him-- he had Hemorrhagic Gastro-enteritis. Totally unrelated to the kidney issues.

Anyway, after he recovered, I started feeding him the K/D. He's been on it for maybe a month and a half now. He likes it alright, the urinating had stopped (I think before the food took effect, though...), and he's not gaining weight-- but his coat is SO dry and itchy. I've never seen him shed so much, I've never seen a flake of dry skin on him, ever. His coat has always been shiny and glossy, it's totally lost it.

Any alternatives to Prescription K/D? He doesn't have terrible kidneys, but I don't want to compromise his health in anyway. I know I can add Omega3s to his food, like fish oil, but I'm afraid he may be having a problem with a certain ingredient or something. I've also had issues with him and anything with fish in it, too. What do you think?

Tailcreek

What exactly are his "kidney problems?"
Did you get blood and urine tests done? and what were the results? which values were elevated?

Personally I would never feed any of the perscription diet kibble's.

Jennifer

Tazwell

I want to say that the Creatnine and B.U.N. levels were elevated, but I'm not totally sure on that. A foster of mine has chronic kidney problems as well, so I get confused between the two.

I know that the K/D isn't something he needs to save his life or anything, it just takes the work load off of his kidneys. I guess it's working. But the food's not working for him very well!

Should I find out exactly what the problem is? I want to do whatever works for him; whether it be a homemade meal, raw, or whatever. I always try to avoid low-quality foods, and obviously for good reason!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I would do a raw diet with supplements for his kidneys. If you suspect him of having an allergic reaction to the K/D I'd try an elimination diet.

I don't know what to tell you about the fish oils though. Hopefully someone on here will have some better answers/suggestions...

Hope he gets better, whatever you decide!

Tazwell

What sort of Supplements would help with his Kidneys? I have no idea what I'd be looking for. I remember I didn't want to put Kenna on K/D either, so I looked for an alternative-- but couldn't find one. Gaah!

Tailcreek

If you can find out all the details of his test results, you will have a better idea of what his dietary needs are.

Most vets will recommend a low protien diet as treatment for kidney disease. The protein is not really the problem, it is how the protein is processed (cooked) as vets with training in canine nutrition have discovered. See the below excerpt of an article from a DVM regarding diets for dogs with kidney disease.

"Heat-treated animal protein, as found in commercial foods, is more difficult to digest. This results in more protein (nitrogen) waste, which the kidneys must remove from the bloodstream. Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) is a protein waste that is measured in a blood test. Therefore, a diet that has high levels of cooked protein is more stressful to the kidneys and results in higher toxicity (BUN) in the blood if the kidneys are not functioning well. Raw protein, in comparison, digests more completely with less waste. This results in more protein for healing and rebuilding tissue without the renal stress. Remember, by nature carnivores eat a very high protein diet. They should have the ability to handle it. Another benefit of the raw foods is that they contain much more water than dry foods. This helps the kidneys discharge waste material. I would not be writing this information if I had not seen many animals improve on such a regimen. Other holistic vets are having the same results."
Russell Swift, DVM

Hope you find this information helpful.

Jennifer

Members online

No members online now.