Puppy apetite problems

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah? what about it? What I feed wasn't on that list either. All that shows is that Pedigree doesn't use Menu Foods for production. Bully for them. Still doesn't make them any less horrible to feed.

lizzybeth727

PEDIGREE pet food has been the market leader in pet food for over 40 years.
ALL that means is that it's cheap and sold everywhere.

About 15 years ago, my parents got me my first dog, and they fed her pedigree. I (as a middle schooler who didn't have internet and really didn't do any research) honestly thought it was a good food, because of all of those nice commercials. And I'm not saying it's an altogether bad company, it's got that great Pedigree Adoption Drive thing, I think that's wonderful. But when my dog never had healthy skin/coat, vomited about once every week for no known reason, and died at the ripe old age of 6 from kidney disease, I began to doubt Pedigree. And we, too, never took her to the vet, until the kidney disease her last 6 months. Turns out we pretty much killed our dog. That's something I have to live with, and it's certainly something that I feel I should warn people about.

My new rule of thumb for pet food - if it's on a commercial on TV, no matter how nice it looks, it's not a high quality food.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Hmm. Here are the main ingredients in Pedigree adult large breed. With dog food, the main ingredients are the ones listed up to the first fat source. Everything beyond that is in very small amounts.

[Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA/BHT)
Mostly corn. Yummy yum yum. And corn is also one of the most common food allergies that dogs have (which is why so many companies also make Lamb & Rice). I'm not saying that Pedigree will kill your dog. But there are healthier alternatives out there. For example, here are the ingredients to Innova EVO, which is pretty popular here on Chaz.

Turkey, chicken, turkey meal, chicken meal, potato, herring meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E)
Much better. Meat, not meat by-products, and a carbohydrate source that isn't corn.

If you're interested in info about dog foods, you should check out
www.dogfoodproject.com
It's written by an actual nutritionist who specializes in dogs, and she presents information very objectively. And it's not a "bash Pedigree and Purina" site. She doesn't advocate one dog food over another--she gives you information on what dogs need, and what exactly each ingredient is and how dogs process it. She includes a list of hundreds of brands of dog foods and their ingredients, and lets you make up your own mind. It's great reading.

Members online

No members online now.