Puppy whining and barking at night.

Jeminem17

we have only had her 10 days. shes 9 weeks old
Night one- she was an angel we slept with her kennel in our room.
Not a sound.
Second night she wouldn't settle down. I was up all night.
NO night is ever a good night.
Well maybe for a few hours.
I get maybe 2-3 straight hours of sleep before she has me up. Dealing with her.
I leave her in her kennel for awhile if shes quite before i take her out of it.
Then take her to the bathroom.
Tried putting her back in but she doesn't just bark and whine, she HOWLS.
It wakes up the whole house. I have two small children 3-4 who have been having to many naps during the day when they never napped before.
i put her in her kennel at 12-1 am when i go to bed. then i wait for her to go to sleep. Then she starts waking me up at 3-4 am.
Her kennel is downstairs on the opposite side of the house under the stairs with a blanket. with no help.
The only reason i am still functioning is Coffee.
I would love to have her upstairs in her kennel at nights.
But she whines if i even leave the room with out her and nights are dreaded.
Please help :confused: :confused::(

mrose_s

BusterLove
someone shoudl be on here soon to help i hope. is there a chance she doesn't see her kennel such a great place? maybe work on making her kennel the most fun place she can go. lots of treats and games and toys in and around it so when she does have to go in, its just another fun thing?

Ilyena

I'm not sure if this helps for you but what I did with my pup was making sure he was really tired before bedtime. I didn't let him take naps in the evening, we had plenty of play/training sessions and we went on a walk just before bedtime. He's always slept through the night with no problems as long as he was exercised enough. Maybe it's something you can try and see if it makes a difference.

Jeminem17

I have taken her for walks.
it helps for a while.
I put her bears and toys and everything there for her at night. Sometime it helps
sometimes it wont.but not for long

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Do you take the dog out every time it howls, barks, cries?
If so you are likely reinforcing 'if I make enough noise the people come and rescue me'.. so next time if you don't come, she howls louder.

At this point, you'll have to live through an extinction burst of the unwanted behaviour. Eventually your pup will realize you aren't releasing her die to excess noise, but it may be a lot of noise to figure it out, being an extinction behaviour burst.

Jeminem17

my way of dealing with it at night is i ignore it, everyones just sleeping so they don't wake up early. i stay up upstairs as long as it takes to go to bed myself.
Usually she sleeps without a sound the other half she goes on and on for hours.

When she does get really ignorant, I wait for her to be quite for like a few minutes and then go get her out to make sure she hungry or use the bathroom.
I feed her late and take her out 2-3 times before bed so i know she is finished.

I was wondering if putting her in the kennel for no reason during the day and ignoring her would help, get her use to it and not whining.
At least my family and i aren't trying to get sleep for work or whatever the next day. so it wouldn't be so bad to hear it.

I'm just learning myself.....but this is what we do (my pup is 8 weeks and a few days) She is in her kennel anytime we are not playing or walking her. So in the morning, she wakes me up, goes outside..then she comes in for breakfast, then we go back out to play and do her bussiness. Then she come in and goes to her kennel until the kids are up and fed. Then she gets to come back out (outside first) then gets to come in and play with the kids. Once she is tired...back in the kennel for nap. And so forth throughout the day (and we don't have any barking issues at night anymore.) I also put her in her kennel when ever I have something to do that I can't watch her. Oh and as well...I'm teaching my kids (2 and 3 and a half) that they are not allowed to bug her when she is in her kennel, so she knows it is a safe quiet place for her to go.
HTH!!!

I was wondering if putting her in the kennel for no reason during the day and ignoring her would help, get her use to it and not whining.
At least my family and i aren't trying to get sleep for work or whatever the next day. so it wouldn't be so bad to hear it.

I'm learning too but it did help mine. I work at home and was going to keep him out during the day as much as possible. I would tether him to my chair but then he got to where he was just laying there chewing on the leash constantly, instead of the pile of toys that he had, so I started crating him. The barking and carrying on was so horrific that I even actually scheduled a few half days of working on site with a client. That's when things really started to improve. Now, most of the time he only barks a few minutes after I put him in the crate and it's half hearted.

good luck!

Jeminem17

She seems to be doing much better.
put her in out out a couple times yesterday. Not long or anything and no whining. Seems to be getting through to her that i am the boss. I put her in last night early and she wimpered once and then i waited took her out again put to bed and woke up at 7:30 to her licking my face. Not a sound. My husband let her out and let her come wake me up nicely.
So i actually slept last night. Sooo nice.
I noticed now that she will be sleeping and if i open the door just to open it. She will come out and go right to sleep out of it.
I just wanted to thank you all again.

Members online

No members online now.