New puppie not all that new, still problems

Funran

I've posted here about my "new" dog, but she is starting to grow up, she isnt the 9 weeks she was a month and a half ago. Accidents are pretty infrequent, but I believe this is the case because she is outside when i'm at work, chained up, and when im home i watch her, and give her breaks quite a lot. But every now and then there is a random accident, and while I fully understand that young dogs will have accidents, i feel that she doesnt really know that she shouldnt be going to the bathroom in the house, she just never has to go when she is not pinned up, or outside. Should I just wait longer? Try new meathods of training? I've heard most suggestions and am open to new ideas.

Second question, I'm having trouble teaching her to stay off the bed, or the couch, she has a bad problem with jumping on people, friends family, to get attention, whether its in their laps, or on their legs while they are walking or standing. I can tell this pisses people off, i wish she would just do it to me, so i dont feel so bad for the other people who are fed up with a dog jumping on them. some people say to ignore the dog, others say to push your knee out, other say to say the command "off". I don't know how to keep her calm, and keep off of people and things around the house.

Fran27

Aren't puppies fun? :D

For the housetraining, it just takes time. As long as you keep praising her when she pees outside, and say 'no' and take her outside when she pees inside, she will eventually get it. It just takes a while. It took about 3 months for my first puppy to get it. Don't change your training methods now if it's what you've been doing. They also don't always have a full control of their bladder and can only hold so long. Does she go outside at all when you take her? Make sure to do it when you get up, after meals, last thing before bed etc.

The only thing I do to keep Boris off the bed is just tell him 'off' when he starts putting his paws on it. He hasn't tried to jump on it for a week now. He's allowed on the couch though, but if you keep making him go down when he goes on it, he will get it eventually.

For the jumping, well, welcome to the club. First you need to try to remove the behavior on you. So if she jumps on you, just totally ignore her, or turn your back to her, until she has her four paws on the floor, then praise her and give her some attention. If she starts again right away, stop and turn your back again. She should get it eventually, my dog is very slowly getting better at it. For guests, I don't know though. If you have friends you can ask them to do the same thing. I haven't found anyone I trust enough to though, so it's really hard. I just think that even saying 'off' is too much attention and she should be totally ignored.

Good luck!

tat2ooed

How big is your puppy,how big will it get. I have found that with bigger dogs,the ones that can jump up and knock you off your feet. The only way I was able to break my first pitbull from doing that was to put my knee up,when they bump it and dont have anything to put their feet up against then they go back on all fours. dont push it into him just pick up your leg and as he is jumping up he will bump it. It does not hurt them nor do I think it is mean,it gives them the idea that you dont want them there

I finally got through to Shiva by holding her paws when she jumped up and making her stand there for a few seconds. It wasn't so much fun when someone else took control of the 'game'! You just don't hold them up on their hind legs too long when they're pups so you don't cause pain or put too much stress on the lower spine.

bubbatd

I have no offer as I never had a young pup chained outside. It must me confusing to them to be there all day and then when they are allowed in ( 9 hours out/ 5 in ??? ...where does the pup sleep ? ) Spend more time/ socialize/ and alot of T.L.C. ! Good luck !! This is why I always recommended older rescue to working people who wanted one of my pups.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah, my dogs aren't outside for long periods of time by themselves. They are only allowed outside when I am home. Is there a small room that you can gate off for you puppy to hang out in during the day? That is what I do with my dogs when we got out or can't watch them. They have just finally started to be able to roam around the house by themselves with minimual supervision. I tell my lab puppy "no jump" (although off would work too) and then I sort of push her down with my knee. Although it's not really working because when we are out for walks she is still pulling and jumping up to strangers (puppies...what can I say).

Fran27

Yeah I wouldn't leave any dog outside when I'm not home either. You migt just end up getting her stolen.

moe

I just push my dogs down and turn my back I have two "pups" at the minute well they are still pups to me :D at 6 1/2 months, one of them the ***** is more hyper and would jump up a lot, so I do push her down and turn my back to her or in fact just turn and walk away from her, if we have company, I will keep the pups behind a gate til they have calmed, and then and only then do I allow them to meet people, if they jump up they are immediately put back behind the gate, if we are out walking, I ensure that when we meet people that they go into the sit position, and keep total control on the lead, if they attemp to jump I will pull them back immediately with the lead and put them back into the sit, when they behave they get a treat, if they dont behave then they dont get a treat simple as that, but saying it is simple, its hard work when you have two trying it on at the same time :D

Mo

Funran

Thanks everyone, she is mostly lab so i think she will be pretty big, things have been going betterm not alot of accidents and problems, jumping is still bad, but im working on what you guys said. thanks for the help.

Members online