2/52 Technical and Conceptual photo challenge.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Okay, sorry about the late posting! I promise this week I'll be more attentive, as well.

This week we're moving on with a technical challenge!

Your challenge this week is:

Show me smooth moving water

The goal is a technical skill but it should also be interesting. Think, pouring a drink, running from a hose, capturing a stream. This assignment will definitely require you to shoot this in Manual mode. You may use either priority mode.

Again, you may or may not use your dogs in this challenge.

You can take as many shots as you would like and you can edit images in production but you may not use any blurring effect in Production.

When you are finished you'll post the final product here. You'll post 1 to 3 final images, the extra numbers are for alternative shoots or angles. Try to not reshoot the same image 3 times, re-imagine each shot.

Good luck guys and again have fun! I'll definitely be participating this week and I'm off to see what awesome shots we got last week (I have been watching but unable to post in-depth just yet).

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
To start with, to be truly creative you will need to move away from using your automatic camera settings. Whilst the camera will do it’s best to capture what it thinks you want, it is possible that it will choose a fast shutter speed, in order to ‘freeze’ the movement. If that’s what you want to depict, then OK. But the more dramatic pictures are those where water motion is evident, and the rest of the picture is still.

A slow shutter speed will need to be chosen to show the motion of the water. The slower your shutter speed the greater the motion captured. I suggest you experiment. After a shot immediately check the results on your LCD screen. Then adjust, to a slower or faster shutter speed, until you get the shot you want. To achieve optimum results will require a shutter speed of at least 1/15 of a second, or longer. Truly smooth water should be captured if you leave the shutter open for over a second.

Using a slow shutter speed will mean that your camera needs to be absolutely still to avoid camera shake ruining the picture. The best way to establish a stable platform is to use a tripod. Another digital photography trick to utilise is to add a shutter release cable, giving you the greatest chance of eliminating camera movement during your shot. Also, set your ISO to about 100, with a small aperture, of around f/22 or f/36. A small aperture results in the slowest possible shutter speed for the ISO and light conditions.

YOU COULD ALSO TRY USING A DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY TRICK FROM THIS LIST:

Try to get fairly close to the water you want to shoot. The blurring effect of the moving water is more noticeable if you are close up

Experiment by photographing different types of moving water scenes (waterfalls, rivers, streams etc.)

Revisit locations at different times of year to capture how nature has changed the look of them.

If brightly-lit conditions affect the length of shutter speed you can use, consider the addition of a polarizing or neutral density filter.

More: http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how-to-capture-the-motion-of-moving-water-in-photography/

More tips coming, I'm tackling this on my phone for now. :)

Red Chrome

We don't really have anything but rivers here. I'll see what I can find, maybe I will use the hose or something. LOL

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Haha I was actually going to try to use this effect on my week 1 picture but then never had sufficient light to get the picture I wanted...shooting in the dark is in the woods is less than fun...guess I get another chance :)

SaraB

Apparently all the water is frozen outside, even the stream I thought was still flowing. However, I'm not going to lie, I wasn't terribly disappointed when I had to resort to my plan b. :p

2/52 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr
Shot on a tripod with a remote shutter release (because I was so not getting out of the tub to hit that button!). Edited to soften up and reduce noise.
Aperature f22.0 Exposure 1 ISO 1600

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Apparently all the water is frozen outside, even the stream I thought was still flowing. However, I'm not going to lie, I wasn't terribly disappointed when I had to resort to my plan b. :p

Shot on a tripod with a remote shutter release (because I was so not getting out of the tub to hit that button!). Edited to soften up and reduce noise.
Fantastic! What was the shutter speed? I love it!

SaraB

I see it now, really, great job. I'd love to look at a larger version on my computer later, I'll check the Flickr link. :)
Thanks! I did follow the rules, I didn't blur the water at all. Just reduced the clarity of the entire photograph to give an overall softer look. BTW, did I tell you how much I LOVE RAW?! :D

FG167

GAH! I am so in love with this picture! My fave two things are your green toenails and the rubber ducky - LOVE.

I am struggling, REALLY struggling to come up with anything creative :(

ETA: You have the perfect feet for VFFs :)

Members online

No members online now.