What's the best dog related advice you've ever received?

K

Kaydee

I can think of three things off the top of my head-moose antlers, Buddy Wash and "You'll just know if she's ready..."

The moose antlers because I had read about antlers as chewies but didn't believe they were so sturdy. I finally bought a moose antler a month or two ago and it's been well nibbled in spots, but it's more durable than any other chew I ever tried

Buddy Wash because someone suggested it instead of baby shampoo and it really leaves Sophie way softer and the smell is incredible. You just want to nuzzle them nose to tail after a bath with this stuff...of course you want to do that anyway but smelling fantastic makes it even better!

I have a friend with a whole lifetime of dog experience and I had soooo many questions. I asked how he taught his dogs to follow him off-leash. Just a low whistle and his dogs have always stayed right beside him. He said he didn't really "teach" them. With Sophie he said "You'll just know if she's ready". After a year or so I braved it and let her off her leash. She has always followed my footsteps in the house. In the car if I stay seated, even with all doors open she doesn't leave the car. I took off the leash and held my breath...and nothing happened, she looked at me and we both walked the trail side by side then I open the car door and she hopped in...she was ready:)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I will never forget the moment that I went from being a standard "dog owner" to a dog lover who obsesses, self educates, and investigates beyond the norm to give my dogs the absolute best that I can. I had just taken Gonzo to the Vet after adopting him. I was 13. I went to the feed store down the street afterwards, and asked the owner where their Iams was (Vet recommended it). She went on a rant about grocery store dog foods, how awful they are, how to read ingredient labels, why Vets recommend those brands, and directed me to Canidae. This was 10 years ago, so Canidae was the BEST brand available.

If she hadn't taken the time to talk to me, I don't know where I would be now. Maybe I wouldn't have a life-long career in dogs. Maybe my dog wouldn't be alive, healthy and thriving at age 13... maybe he wouldn't be here.

My behaviorists/trainers at 4 Paws University probably gave me the most valuable information about dogs. They really changed my life, my future, and my relationship with my dogs forever. They taught me that force isn't necessary to change behaviors and that it is so much stronger and more long-term to change the way my dog thinks rather than fight them and suppress them... and it makes me a happier person, and it makes my dogs happier. I'm sure my parents would have euthanized Gonzo if it wasn't for their guidance. I have a passion for training and want to be a trainer because of the knowledge and beliefs that they instilled in me when I was 14, and I still have relationships with them to this day, and still go to them to practice and learn!

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I've definitely received a lot of life changing information (mostly from Chaz!!!) but I think findin out about the raw diet was definitely some of the BEST information I could've received. We truly thought we may have to euthanize Violet. Our vet couldn't figure anything out, we'd tried everything they'd suggested, everything we could think of, and we were about to dole our hundreds more $$$ on allergy testing, and then that was our last option. After that, there was nothing else we could think of. And it wasn't just that, but she was completely MISERABLE 24/7. Just chewing herself up, itching, and in so much pain. It was terrible. We kept her on steroids as long as possible, but we were cutting it close, and didn't know what to do after that. It was the only thing keeping her feeling decent. But then I was reccomended the raw diet, fish oil pills, and Claritin. And look at her now!! She's perfectly healthy and happy! We're so grateful for all the information we've received!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Pay attention to your dog.
Trust your dog.
Do what works for *your* dog.
Always have aa emergency slip lead and baggie :p

Danefied

Some of my favorites...

Don’t name it ‘till you like it.

Be the cookie.

Training is something you do with your dog not to your dog.

When all else fails, hug the dog.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
If you don't want dog hair on everything, don't have a dog.

Red.Apricot

You're allowed to just walk away; this applies to a situation where you are too frustrated to continue, or to one where you're not comfortable.

It's your dog. Best advice ever.

Freehold

Not dog advice - horse advice, but it fits too: Never end on a bad note. If training (or anything similar) make sure you find something - anything good to finish up with, even if it is something super easy and already well known.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Haha that's one of my favorites, too :)

I guess it's not really "advice," but I'm glad that I've learned that no one thing works for every dog (despite what I thought when I got Kimma as my first dog/puppy - I thought it would all be pretty straight-forward!). I'm glad that I have been able to gain experience working with different breeds/ages with different personalities and temperaments. My favorite thing is finding what motivates each dog and how they learn, and using that information to help them and their owners develop wonderful, working relationships.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
When left to their own devices your dog will always remind you that they are in fact a dog after all.

The first person to offer you a puppy is usually the last person you should take that puppy from.

The best dog for ribbon chasing isn't always the best dog to live with

That which is not selected for is lost.

Odds are if there is a problem the solution is at the human end of that leash.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
When Quinn was around a year I was having a really tough time with her fairly recent dog reactivity. I was feeling like I'd failed her and ruined her for life - just extremely helpless and at the end of my rope. I actually cancelled a trip to the US for an English Shepherd meet-up because I was so embarrassed and scared about what she'd do. We ended up going to a wonderful obedience trainer that MafiaPrincess actually recommended for an assessment and I remember crying out of relief a few times that session. She was very to the point but at the same time comforting and knew when and why I was getting stressed or emotional. We had such a good talk that day - she pretty much said that you don't always get exactly what you want in a dog but a lot of the time you get what you need. She also said "she is what she is". That was the BIGGEST lightbulb moment for me and I frequently remind myself of it. Quinn is what she is. She'll never be a dog park dog again and I've come to terms with that. I've come to look at her reactivity a lot more realistically and am much more calm about it just by accepting the fact that Quinn is Quinn and I'll take all of her, the good and the bad, any day.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Not dog advice - horse advice, but it fits too: Never end on a bad note. If training (or anything similar) make sure you find something - anything good to finish up with, even if it is something super easy and already well known.
Yes - such a good one!

Members online

No members online now.