Accidental inbreeding

Brattina88

I know someone who recently asked me about this. Tough situation. Kind of complicated, so I'll spare the details and I'll be brief.

A neighbors dog had puppies and several people that I know have pups. They are about a year old now. I've been pushing the low cost spay/neuter thing, but there's only so much I can do since theyre not my dogs. I know one of the femaleS was spotting a while ago (last month? Not sure on the timeline) because I heard the complaints of the mess through the grape vine. Last night my roommate asked me what could happen if the female got pregnant from her littermate (brother). She saw the female yesterday and said that she's sagging and looks a little bit fatter.

I honestly plan on talking to them, but unwanted some facts about it first. I believe that even if she's not pregnant this time, it Will happen if they don't get them fixed!

Thanks!

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I don't know the ramifications but they should get their butts kicked!

Pops2

just like any inbreeding, good, bad or in between will depend entirely on the dogs involved & what they pass on.

Dekka

Just try me..
If the dogs parents came from decent outbred lines (like different breeds) then chances are its fine. If the dogs were from unhealthy lines or were already inbred then they should watch out.

Generally inbreeding isnt' serious unless it happens repeatedly. (the increase in genotypic homozygosity won't be that apparent in one generation.)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Took care of a beagle that was brother to sister two generations. THe vet said his heart shouldn't be beating but it was. Dumbest dog I ever met.

Members online

No members online now.