What breed of dog would u avoid when out for walk!

DanL

stevinski said:
i only ever pick harley up depending on the dogs body language and the owners ;)
I'd feel pretty silly picking up an 85 lb dog when a couple 10lb poodles rush him!

Roxy's CD

Sometimes I wish I could pick my dogs up.. LOL

I was walking them both downtown the other day and a man who owns a storefront has some type of lap dog, I'm horrible, I don't know what breed, but it's yappy and brave.

You can't see the dog when it's tied up and either in the store (they leave the door open) or if it's right by the door. (Hard to explain but the cubby where the door is)

So we're walking along, their both on loose leads, it's hot, their sluggish... than "ARK ARKA RKAKRKAR!!!" The thing came flying out the cubby when we were right beside it at us! It's leash was long enough to reach us, and both of my dogs, on the right side at the time, decided to bolt and run right into me!!!!!! (The store was on my right side as well, so both of my brave courageous dogs, were running *away* from this thing) ROFL, it's funny now but scary and embarassing when it happened. haha

If I've only got Bimmer, I just watch and see how the other dog is reacting. He'll generally ignore other dogs unless they are near his size or larger and have bad manners. Small dogs just don't even register on his radar no matter how they act.

If I've got one or both of the grrrrls, I don't worry about it. For some reason, other dogs don't seem to want to try to start things with them - at least not after they've gotten fairly close, lol!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I do avoid a certain breed, not because of the other dog really, but because Lucas' reactions to them (ever since this one Rottie we had a problem with on more than a few occasions) have been not so good. I can get him to ignore Rotties, but meeting them (even if they are obviously nice) is just too iffy.

Other than Rotties I don't go near small dogs, and most dogs really.

Toller_08

When walking Tango, I avoid any brindle dog. Lol...I'm not kidding, she seriously HATES brindle dogs. I'm not sure why, but she just does. Besides that, I don't avoid certain breeds at all. I avoid certain owners, but not breeds/dogs.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I avoid stupid owners. :p

If there was ever one "breed" I avoid, it's the 3 Labradoodles in my neighborhood. Everyoneofthem has dumb owners who literally go out of their way to come up to me... without saying a word to me... laughing as their uber-hyper dogs basically walk on their hind legs pulling them around, and expecting Gonzo to greet them happily. He's less than happy at that point, as am I. There is one lady, her black doodle is very cute, but he is probably the most spazzy dog ever - allll over the place - and on a long flexi. I have asked her since the first time I saw them (when the pup was less than 6 months old) to not allow her dog to run up to mine. Every time I've ever seen her she has not respected that at all, she lets the dog drag her over to Gonzo who is nicely heeling, every time. I don't understand why she not only doesn't get my warning, she doesn't get Gonzo's warning either! He definitely avoids the dog when it approaches and has resorted to growling, which of course her dog ignores completely. Like owner like dog, I guess.

I don't avoid a particular breed either.. but when im walking Malakai i usually avoid passing itty bitty dogs, not that malakai is agressive or anything
But usually the small dog owners scoop the little dogs up and hold them way up in the air when they pass him..he really has no interest in them in the first place, but when he sees "somthing" squirming up in the air like a ball, i wouldnt be a bit surprised if he decided to jump up and see what the hell that crazy person is waving around..and of course that wouldnt be good id rather just avoid that situation completly

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
I avoid people that don't have their dog under control. or dogs that act aggressive toward Sam. Sam was 'attacked' once by a terrier like dog, and a german shepherd puppy. Both where smaller then her too. I don't avoid certain people though, just from their looks.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't avoid just by breed. Then again, I never really have to avoid anyone anyway, seems that whenever I take the dogs for a walk, no one else is walking their dog lol.

But as everyone else said, I'll avoid certain dogs based on the way they are acting. Both Molly and Lucy are very good on a leash, but even they get a little curious when they hear a dog growling and barking or see one pulling on their leash. We once passed a golden retriever who was pulling so hard on her leash to get over to us, she was barking, and the whole situation made me a little nervous because the two girls walking her looked like they were only about 6 years old--definitely not strong enough to control a dog like that. I just had to tell Molly and Lucy, "let's keep going" and their attention was back to me and we just went on. The golden though sure didn't want to give up.

Lol I used to kind of avoid little dogs too, they always seem to be the unpredictable ones, guess my opinions changed now that I have Lucy! :p

tara

I don't avoid any particular breed, but I avoid every dog, since more than half the dogs in my neighbourhood are poorly trained. I only see one man and one old lady who walk their dogs without the dogs dragging them. The lady's dog is never on a leash, and never leaves her side no matter what. (and SO cute!) Foster loves that dog and they always say hi to eachother very well. But even though the man's dog's are properly trained and all, Foster just seems to HATE his chow. He goes NUTS! the fur on the back of his neck stands up and he gets really low. I always cross the street or move far away when he is walking that dog. And lets not even start on little dogs here. EVERY little dog that I have passed by has tried to bite Foster, and the owners just LAUGH. Why is that funny to them? I know Foster isn't the greatest dog when walking (barks at people and dogs on the way there...but for some reason not on the way back) but he is far more properly trained than most of the others I see.

Julie

I am back again.
I avoid all other dogs while walking my dogs on a leash.

Now I know my dogs temperments and training, but I do not know what an unfamilar dog is capable of, whether big or small. And I don't trust a person to say "my dog is friendly" or "my dog just loves other dogs".

I could end up with a huge dog fight on my hands if another dog attacked my dogs. Or I could end up with an injured small dog if he has more brawn than brain. :eek:

As for all the loose dogs I encounter, if they come to close or cause a problem for my leashed dogs.......I always carry pepper spray while walking my dogs.

It really is sad because problems really start with uneducated or neglectful dog owners. I really wish I could feel comfortable walking my leashed dogs, but I don't because there is always something roaming free around the corner.

My husband has been bitten once by a nice dog. I have been bitten once by the same nice dog. All due to the owner telling us the dog is a real sweetie to everyone........... won't fall for that again. ;) And it was a lab at that.

I avoid all dogs. Both of my dogs have plenty of oppurtunity to socialize offleash and with dogs I am comfortable with, but the whole "sniff and greet" on leash thing doesn't go over well with either of them for different reasons.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I avoid all dogs that I don't know. I used to agree to the sniff-and-greet stuff with Dakota because I was confident that he would be nice to every dog he met, but lately he's been a little more choosy about who he wants to play with so I just avoid the greetings with all other dogs. I don't want to have to worry about my dog reacting badly.

I do avoid very large dogs, as they could hurt Dakota and Ripley with ease. I avoid tinies when I only have Dakota with me.

I also admittedly avoid most Pit Bulls and Rottweilers in Arizona. Too many idiots there who simply have the dogs as ego boosters and encourage them to act mean. In Idaho, I don't encounter nearly as many "bad" Pits and Rotties and don't worry as much.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
DanL said:
I don't avoid a particular breed, but I avoid particular actions from other dogs.
You took the words right out of my mouth DanL! Me and my boy got attacked by a chow/lab mix at the place I walk and he was on a leash until the owner lost control of her dog *ugh*! Man, did I give her a few words. The dog didn't attack me persay but I did fall over the both of the dogs hurting my shoulder. I told the lady that if she can't control her dog then don't walk it where lots of others walk with there dogs and the next time we cross paths she better have a **** good grip on her dog! I said lots more to her but it wasn't nice!

L

LabBreeder

I don't avoid the dog because of it's breed but because of it's owner. If someone is letting an 8 year old walk a 60 + lb dog I will steer clear simply because that kid will not be able to handle the dog if something goes wrong.

Dogs, and owners, that I know and that Tira and Gunner knows we'll walk over to and get reaquainted (sp?). I'm having to teach Gunner to not paw at or jump onto other dogs (playfully mind ya, not mean) cause not all dogs put up with puppy antics. There are a few small breeds I avoid simply because they've already proven to be dog/people aggressive and Tira does not like aggressive small breeds due to a bad experience as a puppy (a doxie mix bit her nose and left 3 pink scars that eventually colored back in on their own) but she will put up with nice small breeds.

Basically, if I know the dogs are ok I won't avoid them. If I've never met them or the owners or have seen them act aggressively we don't go near them.

pitbulliest said:
The question should be:What type of people do you avoid when you go out for walks with your dog?
True enough. I avoid most dogs, but I really go out of my way to get away from the following situations:

- People with dogs on flexi-leads (no control, and no sense)
- Children walking large dogs (I've seen way too many kids let go)
- Men walking macho breeds (especially intact male dogs, in which case both man and beast are usually crazy belligerent)
- Teenage boys walking anything
- Women walking 'family' breeds while pushing a stroller, wrangling a toddler and talking on the cell phone
- White trash walking anything

Those are for my benefit. I also avoid the elderly and children who are walking small dogs. My dog is not dog-aggressive or people-aggressive, but she's very physical. When she becomes excited at seeing other dogs, she could easily knock over an old person or child.

DanL

What is your definition of "macho breed"? I ask because I own an intact German Shepherd, who is obviously better trained than your dog since I can approach children and old people without fear of him knocking them down.

What is your definition of white trash? Someone less fortunate than you?

Members online

No members online now.