ATTS temperament testing question

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Ok this might be a weird question, but with the temperament testing and such, when it comes to the self protective/aggressive behavior part I have a question.
When they have a "threatening" person coming toward you and the dog what consideres a fail? Seriously, Smokey would probably wag his tail at the person and try to lick them...he's one of the most non-aggressive dogs I've ever seen. Would he fail because he's just a big doof and thinks all people are there to love him whether good, bad, or indifferent?

Aggression in this part of the test is checked against the dog’s breed, background and training. For example, a Schutzhund trained GSD lunging at the stranger would be acceptable, but an untrained Cocker Spaniel would not.

But no, he won’t fail if he stands there grinning, tail wagging

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Cool I was wondering about that. You could probably beat me within an inch of my life and he'd sit there and wag his tail...lol

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Failure would be if the dog ran behind you when approached (unless it were a smaller, easily intimidated dog, then I think they accept it) or one that showed unnecessary aggression, such as going after the person after they have turned their back and started to leave, which is indicative of fear-aggression (if the dog showed nothing when faced by the person).

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
The dogs basically supposed to put himself between you and the stranger either be it out of curiosity or something else it's a bit more indifferent, with the exception of some of the guardian breeds like a doberman who are expected to have a stronger reaction/defensive posture.
They do let some smaller breeds go behind the person and it's not considered a fail. It won't get you a wonderful score but you won't fail either.
Jenn's sisters shelty hid behind her and just barked at the person.
Riot I think barked a warning bark at the guy and stood out at the end of his line between Jenn and agressive stranger.
Tyr just stood at the end of his line between myself and the stranger. No agressive reaction but he wasn't overly happy about it either (tail was down and his eyes never left the guy).

Agressive stranger in our case was a guy acting drunk and hitting a stick on the ground... generally even very friendly dogs don't seem to react in the way you'd expect and are at least more curious as to whats going on then friendly to the person.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I'm going to be waiting until next year and hoping I can find one closer to home, the one that was up in this area was back in June. But at least by then Lily will be close to old enough to do it, and if they do one up here in the middle of next summer she'll be old enough to be tested too.
Are there any other temperament tests out there that might be more accessible, or is this the end of the line? hehe

Members online

No members online now.