At the park yesterday.....

It isn't very often that my husband and i get to take Bailey out for a walk (just the 3 of us), so yesterday when the oppurtunity arose, we took it.

So the park is just across the road from our house and then you walk to the bottom of the park and through a little cut-through, and on down to the river.

As we walked down the steps to the park (hubby is holding Baileys leash) there is a man standing at the top looking down, so i figure his dog is down there.
Anyway, we get to the bottom and the guy starts calling frantically for his dog.
Well this dog (some kind of mix, but only a small dog) comes running over and jumps at Baileys side. So Bailey is wagging his tail and then this dog snaps at Baileys cheek..Bailey is still thinking this is a game, until the dogs snaps again..

Bailey turned, teeth bared and growling, all the while the man is still at the top of the hill, calling the dog (which ovbiously isn't going to listen to him) and in the end my hubby had to lift Bailey from the ground, to stop him from hurting this little dog.
So the man casually strolls down and takes hold of his dog (which looked like it was trying to mount my hubbies leg, trying to get to Bailey LOL)

Anyway, the point of this thread is...

1. I was pissed, that this man must have known that his dog would go for Bailey b/c of the way that he started calling it....and so therefore it shouldn't have been off-leash in a public place.

and 2. Thank god my husband was with me, b/c i wouldn't have been able to lift Bailey up like he did, and i dread to think what would have happened and how i would have dealt with it, had Bailey have got ahold of the dog :(

I just don't see why people don't just keep the dog on a leash if it isn't good with other dogs :confused:

oriondw

user not active
Keeping a dog on a leash in dog park can be alot more dangerous then to letting it off.

Better queston would be, why do these ignorant people even bother to bring their dogs to park in a first place??

They ruin the fun for all other dogs and in the end because of them others have to leave often then not.

^^ refering to that little dog which attacked ya.

TopShelfPets

Thread Killer
i would've ended up kicking the little, vicious dog to get it away from mine. And then chewed the guy at the top of the hill out.

TopShelfPets

Thread Killer
Keeping a dog on a leash in dog park can be alot more dangerous then to letting it off.

Better queston would be, why do these ignorant people even bother to bring their dogs to park in a first place??

They ruin the fun for all other dogs and in the end because of them others have to leave often then not.

I got the impression it wasn't a dog park, just a regular park. The kind that posts signs saying "animals must be on a leash at all times, except in designated areas"

Julie

I am back again.
ugh... I know what you mean! I am always afraid to walk my dogs. My dogs are bigger than about 90% of the dogs we see while walking and I hate it when some cocky little thing comes running up to us thinking he owns the world, rarely any owners in sight and if they are they can't control their dog!
There are leash laws here, but rarely enforced. I always carry pepper spray with me, but I still get very shaken, even knowing I have a defense. I mean I would still be the one to look bad, if an unleashed cocky little thing started being macho and my dogs defended themselves, which they would in that situation, especially unfamilar dogs.

It isn't a Dog park, just a park and we were walking through to get to the river.

i would've ended up kicking the little, vicious dog to get it away from mine. And then chewed the guy at the top of the hill out.
I wouldn't have kicked it........even if i was on my own!
I wasn't worried for Bailey, he can handle himself...I would have been more upset if the vicious little thing got hurt, and also upset that if Bailey had a fight one time, he could get aggresive to all small dogs.

Members online

No members online now.