My Yorkie tried to take on an Alaskan Husky yesterday!

Cidney

My Yorkie has a small size complex, he doesnt know he weighs only 7 lbs. Every time a big dogs goes by he wants to start a fight, I guess thats why I named him Cid Vicious, haha.

Anyway, I ALWAYS walk my dogs on a leash and yesterday morning I let my dogs out in the garage with me for two seconds to say goodbye to my mother-n-law. next thing you know Cid tore out of the garage and down the street wanting to take on the Husky. The owner of the Husky had to kick at Cid to keep him out of "mouth" range so the Husky wouldnt snapp him up. Small dogs he loves but when a big dog comes along he become aggressive, anyone else have this problem with small breeds?

bogolove

I actually have a story that is similar to this, but I was on the other end with the big dog. I have a golden retreiver mix and he is at about 65 pounds right now. I was walking him on his leash down the street and all of the suddent his cute little yorkie comes running at us. (But she was not barking), my dog actually ran from this little tiny 5 pound dog. (what a wimp - ;) ) I am pretty sure she just wanted to play though. I know it is not really the same, but I figured it was still a funny story. I did used to have a West Highland White Terrier and he was the same way. He had little man's syndrome. He would sit on the couch and stare out the window and bark at everything that came by, especially big dogs.

I can't count the times I have had to keep little dogs from attaching my dobie. But we grew up with six little dogs who were scareless. Owners always have to be on their toes when mixing big and little dogs.

Chazhound

I've had all kinds of problems with little dogs being ridiculously aggressive toward my big dogs, but fortunately (for them), my dogs wouldn't deign to notice them.

I did have a toy Fox Terrier when I was a kid, and she went after everything! Mickey was eight pounds of unmitigated nerve. We just had to try to make sure she was under control at all times. Of course, when we had problems with neighbor's dogs digging under the fence it was a whole different story. Mickey would wait until they got halfway through, then attack them when they couldn't move. She stopped that problem on her own.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Well, I don't think it's the size of the dog that matters. By Boston Terrier is the boss of two pit bulls and a boxer. They are all much bigger than her, but she still keeps them in line. It's funny watching them too. Bula will want to play with Dixie, so she will start biting and pawing at her, and Dixie will snap at Bula. I guess it hurts Bula's feelings because she will go lay in the bed until Dixie goes and gets her.

Cidney

I always walk Cid on a leash and try to keep him out of direct contact with large breed dogs. Cid does not know how to give respect to the larger breed dog nor know his place and I think thats when the larger dog puts him in his place.

A friend of mine has the sweetest Lab and that dog lives with two other small breed dogs, they all live just fine together. I took Cid over to her house one day and the Lab wanted to eat Cid up, my friend had never seen her Lab react to another dog like that. I think Cid didnt give the Lab the repect she needed as a bigger dog and she wanted to put Cid in his place.

Another time I was walking Cid and sometimes I pass this neigbor who owns ander Lab who is very timid. We have passed by a hundred times without problem even when the Lab is lying on the front lawn unleashed. Well, one day as I was walking by the neigbor, his Lab was lying there swinging her tail until Cid looked at her and hiked his leg on her lawn. Man, that female Lab jumped up and charged after Cid. I think Cid was disrepecting the Lab in her own yard.

By now you probably think Cid is a rotten Yorkie but he isnt. He is very sweet but just doesnt want the other neighborhood big dogs to know that! haha. CId trys to hold his own and I have to take lots of precautions to keep himself from getting killed because of his cocky attitude.

chazhound said:
I can't count the times I have had to keep little dogs from attaching my dobie. But we grew up with six little dogs who were scareless. Owners always have to be on their toes when mixing big and little dogs.

Chazhound
u have a or have had a dog named dobie??? what breed was it??

pitbulliest

Serena said:
I would be very grateful that nothing happened to Cid. I never owned a small bred myself, but I have frequently been involved in situations where a tiny little dog decides that he will take on my dogs. While I can forgive if this happens by accident I have no tolerance for the owners of these small dogs who sit there chuckling over this type of behavior.

I completely agree. I have an extremely aggressive Chihuahua and a sweet and harmless Pit Bull...I find it quite dissapointing that many small dog owners laugh it off if their dog is aggressive and trying to jump out at big dogs. This also happens when my Chi gets roudy around larger dogs..people will laugh it off, but if my Pit was to growl at someone everyone would probably insist on putting the dog to sleep.

Also, if the larger dog attacks the smaller one, guess who always gets blamed? I believe you should look into some training if he's extremely animal aggressive. I can see where you're coming from since small dogs possess animal aggression far more than larger ones and some of them can really be a handful at times. However, don't let your dog get into those kinds of situations because one day it won't be anything to laugh about and the person that has the large dog will end up taking the blame..not to mention the reputation of their breed (depending one what kind of dog they have) will be damaged that much more because your small dog decided to have another fit.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just saying every responsible dog owner should make sure their dogs behave properly and don't get into risky and unneccesary situations.

Pitbulliest, you've hit the nail right on the head there. The big one's always going to get the blame.

I've only seen it happen differently once. I had Kharma with me at Lowe's and she was being an adorable, quiet little diva puppy - not that she was ever little! A woman had two chihuahuas with her and they suddenly went berserk when they saw Kharma, growling and snapping and trying to get loose to get to Kharma. She just sat there and looked at them, and everyone talked about those bad little dogs trying to hurt that darling, well mannered puppy. I didn't enlighten them that she was probably trying to figure out if they were noisy cousins of those critters she likes to catch and eat at home. (rofl)

The owner of a local petstore had a Jack Russell named Murphy who would attack any dog that was more than a tiny bit larger than he was. He wasn't kidding around either. My Pit mix Gus was on the leash, and I was taking him inside for a visit, as it was one of his favorite places to go to. We were just going in and Murphy, who had never even seen Gus before, attacked him. Gus was startled and just stood there, and Murphy is yanking hunks of hair out of his neck. I'm trying to back out the door, because Gus is showing signs of getting angry, and Murph's gonna be hamburger if he's not gone, ASAP. Finally, after what seems like a long time, some kid grabs Murph and we get the door in between them and the kid carts Murphy back to the back of the store, snarling the whole time. After that, anytime we came, they had to lock Murphy up in the back room, as he was foaming at the mouth as soon as he smelled Gus. He kept wanting to get into it with Gus, even after a female black lab broke several of his ribs after he attacked her.

My present dog, King gets into trouble with other dogs because he wants to play, and doesn't care if the other dog wants to or not.

flyndog

Dogs Made Easy!
pitbulliest said:
I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just saying every responsible dog owner should make sure their dogs behave properly and don't get into risky and unneccesary situations.
!! APPLAUSE !!

RD

Are you dead yet?
I agree wholeheartedly with pitbulliest.

When I had my Shiner dog, we were travelling in our RV & stayed for a couple weeks at an RV park. There were many small dogs, and all had rarely seen a dog as big as shiner (Who at 60 pounds wasn't at all huge)

Well, I went for long walks with Shiner every day, and one day this little toy poodle comes running at us, dragging its flexi leash behind it, and jumping, barking, growling and biting my dog. I tried to grab the leash, and it snapped at me as well!

I was pretty po'ed because the owner just sat in his chair and chuckled about it, while my dog was patiently and gently allowing this behavior from the little dog, and then the guy finally sauntered over to pick his dog up and baby-talk to it.

The next day, what do Shiner & I get but the same little dog, attacking her again. Same routine, same dragging leash, and NO apology! The fourth time it happened, the little dog was off-leash entirely, and ran about 100 feet to attack Shiner.

THIS time, however, that dog ran right onto OUR RV space, and Shiner knew that this dog was intruding on her territoty. When the dog tried to attach itself to her throat, she jumped on the little dog and fastened her jaws around its neck. She didn't even break the skin, she was merely reprimanding that unruly little dog for giving her hell on her own property.

Well, that dog screamed bloody murder and the owner came running over and KICKED Shiner right in the head until she let go, and then he grabbed his dog and glared at ME! He then said that if my aggressive animal ever touched his angelic baby again, he'd press charges.
:rolleyes:

RD

Are you dead yet?
The moral of that story? (Sorry I got carried away and didn't finish, LOL)

Big dogs are expected to be perfect. Little dogs can run around like little heathens and get away with it.

I have a little dog, and if MY dog ever did something like that, I'd run over and correct the snot out of him, and then apologize profusely to the owner of the big dog and be pretty darn happy that the dog was of good enough temperament not to attack the little dog.

You won't always be lucky enough to get an angelic sweetie pie of a big dog for your little one to attack. For both of their sake, keep them on a leash & TRAIN your little dog.

(PS, I don't want to offend you, but I just wanted to point out something from a large-breed fancier's point of view. I'm not accusing you of letting your dog be unruly. ;) )

flyndog

Dogs Made Easy!
Rip, how you kept your cool, I don't know. I'm afraid there would have been blood drawn! People laughed at me when I wouldn't let Cozy jump up on people or pull on the leash or lunge at other dogs. But she was my first little dog, and so I treated her like a big dog. I firmly believe little dogs should not be allowed to be unruly or bratty.
Kit

Last edited:
Rip's, it's a real testament to Shiner's temperament that she didn't turn on the man when he kicked her. She'd have been justified; after all, he was in her territory, attacking her and could reasonably be seen as a threat to you!

RD

Are you dead yet?
I'm very surprised that she DIDN'T turn on him, actually. She had a bite history, she's protected me on several occasions.. She was probably in too much pain (the guy had cowboy boots on) to see straight and go after him. Poor girl... I think that incident pushed her aversion to strangers over the edge, because that's when we started having trouble keeping her calm around strangers..

Gotta admit, I'd probably have made sure the nasty little thing got a chance to bite me so I could report it and file a complaint. But I can be somewhat vindictive, especially when it affects my critters.

Serena said:
Sorry you had to go through this Rip's, if it was me the man certainly would be pressing charges, but it wouldn't be against my dogs. He would have to press assault charges on me for when I knocked his teeth down HIS throat.
Ya, I would knock this guy out if he even layed a finger on one of my dogs. I've done it before and I'll do it again.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I would have now as well.

Having a little dog, to me, is a completely different experience than a big dog. When I had Shiner, I didn't have to think about knocking anyone's teeh down their throat because Shiner was ALWAYS watching out for me. I could be oblivious to the world and Shiner would guard me with her life.

Now, Ripley is the fearless, careless one and I've found myself wanting to punch people's lights out more then ever.. It'd have been interesting to see a kid like me throwing punches at a 40 year old man. :p

Members online

No members online now.